Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

Haha I'm not a hater just because I question our PG situation. I'm really high on these new guys but I know Fran is still going to play Wagner and Uhl. It's going to be really hard to figure out a rotation and hopefully it gets to the point where he just plays the best players and not the players that deserve to play

Yes the rotation is going to be interesting to watch. YOu almost expect some may see the writing on the wall by years end and transfer, although, I don't want to see anybody go. The way it is though.

You're pretty smart for an old duffer! Agree pretty much with the positions/depth. But, I could see the minutes fluctuating between a few depending on the game they are having.
I remember an interview this spring where Fran was asked about managing all the minutes this spring. He said something to the effect that it wasn't going to be easy and he wasn't looking forward to those decisions. He acknowledges he has some hard decisions to make. I'm suspecting part of the difficulty lies to reducing minutes for guys he feels loyal to. The thorn among the rose of a roster with rising talent.

I remember an interview this spring where Fran was asked about managing all the minutes this spring. He said something to the effect that it wasn't going to be easy and he wasn't looking forward to those decisions. He acknowledges he has some hard decisions to make. I'm suspecting part of the difficulty lies to reducing minutes for guys he feels loyal to. The thorn among the rose of a roster with rising talent.

I've heard him talk about it as well. I guess when you have really good players leave a program sec to playing time, ironically, that can be a sign that you have a really healthy program. You hate to see some players go, but it is a good sign.

A Clone shooter who was a pain in the rear to the Hawks.

Can't tell if you really don't know much about him or you're just running cover, pretending not to be a Clone fan;)
My son went to high school with Jake Sullivan and Ali Farouqmanesh (sp). He was friends with them and he told me they were both good guys. I of course told him that it was ok to follow Ali's play at UNI but not to follow Jake because he made bad choices, going to the clowns. I'm surprised clown nation doesn't talk about Jake since he was good. I guess basketball didn't arrive at clown u. until Hoiberg got there.

This is the toughest decision a coach has to make. I remember a conversation with my brother, a head high school football coach. We were talking about two players with roughly the same abilities. He was struggling with being loyal to the senior and playing him at the expense of giving the sophomore more playing time and experience so that when he's a senior, he's a better player. I don't envy Fran.

GO HAWKS!!!

I like Kriener...hustle, nice shot...but he has a limited ceiling, limited athletic ability...7-8 guy off the bench, valuable, Iowa guy.

If Garza has (a) post move he will be an upgrade over Woodie...

Looking forward to the season...

PG still a weakness...

.. .. .. If Garza has (a) post move he will be an upgrade over Woodie .. .. ..
With all due respect to Woodie, he averaged just over 6 points a game for his career. I'm guessing if Kriener started, he would be an upgrade.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

My son went to high school with Jake Sullivan and Ali Farouqmanesh (sp). He was friends with them and he told me they were both good guys. I of course told him that it was ok to follow Ali's play at UNI but not to follow Jake because he made bad choices, going to the clowns. I'm surprised clown nation doesn't talk about Jake since he was good. I guess basketball didn't arrive at clown u. until Hoiberg got there.

I watched Ali play at Iowa City West and I don't remember Sullivan. How did a kid from Iowa City end up playing basketball in Ames? Did we offer?

I have not seen Nunge play...but based on his reputation...physic...inner motor...He seems to perhaps be and upgrade over Uthoff in two areas where JU was below average...

Uthoff played soft...

Uthoff disappeared at times, especially at crunch time...

I am hoping Nunge has the heart of a fighter...which is what we need, rather than a tall guy who wants to float about waiting to jack up a 3 pointer when it fits his fancy...

Uthoff and Jok could both get very hot...but they had lots of dead time in their games, and took time off on the defensive end...

With a deep bench...Fran will have the gift of playing fighters the most...while leaving less energetic but equally talented players with less minutes...should be interesting.

My two cents...

Oh ok, thanks for the info. Not sure how his son went to high school with both of them then. Ali played for UNI in 2008-2010. Did Sullivan play under Hoiberg or was he a McDermott kid?

Hijacking a thread to talk about Clone players. Figures.

Oh ok, thanks for the info. Not sure how his son went to high school with both of them then. Ali played for UNI in 2008-2010. Did Sullivan play under Hoiberg or was he a McDermott kid?

I'm suspecting his family moved from Minnesota to Iowa City. That's the only thing I could figure.

Latest posts