Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

I think the only thing that can stop Nunge from being really good is of he can't handle the mental pressure of playing in front of thousands of fans. You just don't see many guys that long with that good of ball skills.

I'm not so worried with this, I guess. These guys have all played in front of many kinds of crowds and I suspect some large number of crowds in different venues on the AAU circuit. Maybe not 16,000 - 18,000 a game but in some impressive venues with various pressure on them.

I was actually thinking about this the other day with youth sports. I have two 10 yr old boys who play baseball and basketball and have been playing in front of crowds since very young. I was thinking back to when I was young and it was a bit intimidating in junior high starting to play in front of people. So different today as these kids don't even bat an eye because they are so used to it.

Ok. I need an honorary vet's opinion. Am I wrong here? I'll admit it if I am. No problem with that. I mean 1,000 pt's is a nice achievement, yes, but is that a benchmark for college ball? It equates to roughly 7.8 ppg over 4 years. I mean 4 made buckets a game.

It's a nice achievement but no longer that impressive. It means you had a solid career where you played. It means even less if you started as a frosh.
Whitey scored 1859 - he's a stand out -
Jok scored 1508 (most of them in 2 seasons) he's a stand out-
Uthoff scored 1298 in 3 seasons (most of that in 2 seasons) he's a stand out
Marble Jr scored 1698 in 4 seasons - he's a stand out.

Mike had 1072 and never scored over 300 in a season (all the above had seasons they scored over 500 pts) - he had a solid career.

It's a nice achievement but no longer that impressive. It means you had a solid career where you played. It means even less if you started as a frosh.
Whitey scored 1859 - he's a stand out -
Jok scored 1508 (most of them in 2 seasons) he's a stand out-
Uthoff scored 1298 in 3 seasons (most of that in 2 seasons) he's a stand out
Marble Jr scored 1698 in 4 seasons - he's a stand out.

Mike had 1072 and never scored over 300 in a season (all the above had seasons they scored over 500 pts) - he had a solid career.

Thanks for the numbers. Uthoff's surprised me a bit.

He had 624 his Sr season and 422 his Jr year, so he eclipsed what MG did in 2 years. Totally different players, positions and rolls but like you stated, 1000 pts for a 4 year starter should be attainable and probably considered the lowest of bench marks.

I have high hopes for Garza and Nunge however I feel I need to temper things a little bit. In the summer we are always so hopeful for the newbies and the team we sometimes let things get a little carried away. Some people who watch the PTL have a coaches eye and can evaluate the nuances of players games and how that translates further into players careers. Most of us including myself don't have that eye and we base things on the stats we see and what we read. I'm not putting down anything that's been said because it's very interesting. I'm hoping Garza and Nunge can be as big a factor in their freshman season as JBo was last year. I think the ceiling for this year for both of them is 10 points and 5 rebounds. The potential is there for so much more but we have to remember they will be new to the college game. I'm hoping we avoid the situation we had with Woody. Woody was a four star with high expectations but he didn't live up to the hype. Woody was a good player but he'll forever be remembered for what he didn't do rather than what he did. If I offend anyone with this post I apologize. I'm just trying to be a little conservative for expectations. If Nunge and Garza do amazing things I will be so happy for being wrong.

When guys put up a lot of stats at PTL games, you do have to be cautious and it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be great players.

When guys don't put up very good stats at PTL games, you do have a pretty good idea that they're not going to be great players.

When guys put up a lot of stats at PTL games, you do have to be cautious and it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be great players.

When guys don't put up very good stats at PTL games, you do have a pretty good idea that they're not going to be great players.

see: Andrew Fleming - who led the PTL in scoring one year right? A lot of people on this board had him contributing a HUGE roll his Freshman season only to sit and watch him be a cheerleader on the bench and lose minutes to Baer who we ALL saw coming.

DOC: Great post! I also have high hopes for Garza and Nunge. What I have a problem with is that some on here want to throw players like Pemsl to the sidelines because these new guys are so much better. First they haven't proven anything yet as they haven't played a BIG game and second Pemsl,Wagner, and others have proven their worth when the lights are on! GO HAWKS!

DOC: Great post! I also have high hopes for Garza and Nunge. What I have a problem with is that some on here want to throw players like Pemsl to the sidelines because these new guys are so much better. First they haven't proven anything yet as they haven't played a BIG game and second Pemsl,Wagner, and others have proven their worth when the lights are on! GO HAWKS!
It's pretty obvious from Fran's recruiting that he intended Garza and Kriener to be centers, and Cook and Pemsl power forwards. In order to sell Nunge coming to Iowa with those 4 guys in place, he probably had to be told that he was going to play some 3. He'll share that spot behind Baer. I think that's how the starting lineup will probably shake out. Although Nunge is looking better and better. BUT, Pemsl will get more minutes than Garza, Kriener, or Nunge- at least this year.

I have high hopes for Garza and Nunge however I feel I need to temper things a little bit. In the summer we are always so hopeful for the newbies and the team we sometimes let things get a little carried away. Some people who watch the PTL have a coaches eye and can evaluate the nuances of players games and how that translates further into players careers. Most of us including myself don't have that eye and we base things on the stats we see and what we read. I'm not putting down anything that's been said because it's very interesting. I'm hoping Garza and Nunge can be as big a factor in their freshman season as JBo was last year. I think the ceiling for this year for both of them is 10 points and 5 rebounds. The potential is there for so much more but we have to remember they will be new to the college game. I'm hoping we avoid the situation we had with Woody. Woody was a four star with high expectations but he didn't live up to the hype. Woody was a good player but he'll forever be remembered for what he didn't do rather than what he did. If I offend anyone with this post I apologize. I'm just trying to be a little conservative for expectations. If Nunge and Garza do amazing things I will be so happy for being wrong.

A voice of reason interlude.....

:cool:

I think Bohannon, Cook, Baer, Moss, and Pemsl all get more minutes than the freshman. After that, who knows.

A Clone shooter who was a pain in the rear to the Hawks.

Can't tell if you really don't know much about him or you're just running cover, pretending not to be a Clone fan;)

The only reason I even know who him is because he's on 1460 on Monday nights with Jess.

I think Bohannon, Cook, Baer, Moss, and Pemsl all get more minutes than the freshman. After that, who knows.

I was deep down hoping Nunge would redshirt this year because Fran is still going to play all the guys that played last year and Kriener seems improved. Don't get me wrong I'm happy Nunge is looking the part like he has so far and it's a good problem to have but I really hope he cuts down the rotation and doesn't just play guys because they "deserve minutes".

I was deep down hoping Nunge would redshirt this year because Fran is still going to play all the guys that played last year and Kriener seems improved. Don't get me wrong I'm happy Nunge is looking the part like he has so far and it's a good problem to have but I really hope he cuts down the rotation and doesn't just play guys because they "deserve minutes".

I agree. I'm hoping for a 10 man rotation tops

Pemsl's not going anywhere! He's right in the mix, IMO.

It's pretty obvious from Fran's recruiting that he intended Garza and Kriener to be centers, and Cook and Pemsl power forwards. In order to sell Nunge coming to Iowa with those 4 guys in place, he probably had to be told that he was going to play some 3. He'll share that spot behind Baer. I think that's how the starting lineup will probably shake out. Although Nunge is looking better and better. BUT, Pemsl will get more minutes than Garza, Kriener, or Nunge- at least this year.

You're pretty smart for an old duffer! Agree pretty much with the positions/depth. But, I could see the minutes fluctuating between a few depending on the game they are having.

Solid thought! Where did that come from? :p

Solid thought! Where did that come from? :p

Haha I'm not a hater just because I question our PG situation. I'm really high on these new guys but I know Fran is still going to play Wagner and Uhl. It's going to be really hard to figure out a rotation and hopefully it gets to the point where he just plays the best players and not the players that deserve to play

Latest posts