Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

MelroseHawkins

I really like these two coming in at the same time as freshman. Both are productive but have a little different attributes. Nunge may be a bit more athletic but Garza may be really polished in the post. These two battling each other in practice is really going to pay big dividends for both going into the future.

I don't know what kind of relationship they are going to have off the court, but they will see a lot of each other on the court battling and going up against each other. They can each take a little bit from the other & polish their game more. This may accelerate there progression as players.

They seem like two peas in a pod, such as Greg Stokes and Michael Payne. You don't think of one without the other.

I just really like these two competing against each other as freshman. I think it's huge!

I am viewing Nunge in more of the Uthoff mold and Garza in more of the Woodbury mold. Fair comparisons or not, that is what I am envisioning. Hopefully Nunge can play stronger around the basket than Uthoff and hopefully Garza is more of a scorer with the ball than Woodbury. Garza already seems like a better shooter than Woody ever was, so maybe its not a fair comparison.

Either way, I completely agree that these two are going to be solid contributors for 4 years. Its crazy to think that our front court will have Cook/Pemsl/Kriener for 3 more years and Garza/Nunge for 4 more years. Assuming none transfer or leave early that is.

I watched the highlights Rob posted and I think I was most impressed with Kriener. In relation to how I expected him to look anyway.

I watched the highlights Rob posted and I think I was most impressed with Kriener. In relation to how I expected him to look anyway.

I became a huge Kriener fan last year. I suppose because I really didn't know much about him and he came from nowhere. He has a very good mid range shot and just seems to hustle and be involved. That's all you can really ask. Big fan of him.

I became a huge Kriener fan last year. I suppose because I really didn't know much about him and he came from nowhere. He has a very good mid range shot and just seems to hustle and be involved. That's all you can really ask. Big fan of him.

I thought he was a little slow for a Fran coached team and relied too much on a mid range game that I hate. Watching his highlights changed my mind. He moves way better than I thought.

You have to remember Kriener was sick last summer and the beginning of the BB season. He might not have been at 100% strength, conditioning & skill wise all last year

Now we are hearing Pemsl played in pain all last year. Hope we have a healthy pain-free Kriener and Pemsl this year

Only thing Woodbury has on Garza is two inches of height which made him more menacing down low when guys try to get to the basket. Garza looks like so much of a better offensive force than Woody it's not even close.

And while Woodbury was taller, Garza will undoubtedly have more blocked shots and dunks.

Nunge could end up being better than Uthoff but it's too early to tell, of course.

You have to remember Kriener was sick last summer and the beginning of the BB season. He might not have been at 100% strength, conditioning & skill wise all last year

Oh that's right, Was it mono? Explains why really didn't see him early in the season but more towards the end.

How many of you watched UCLA play this year? They had a true frosh TJ Leaf this year that's going pro. Nunge reminds me a little bit of him too. It'll be interesting to see if he's more of an inside or outside guy. The one thing he will be is a mismatch nightmare for who we play against.

Only thing Woodbury has on Garza is two inches of height which made him more menacing down low when guys try to get to the basket. Garza looks like so much of a better offensive force than Woody it's not even close.

And while Woodbury was taller, Garza will undoubtedly have more blocked shots and dunks.

Nunge could end up being better than Uthoff but it's too early to tell, of course.
I can't remember, but didn't Woodie have shorter arms too?

GO HAWKS!!!

There's just no freaking way we can play all these guys. For the 3-4-5 spots we have Cook, Pemsl, Baer, Wagner, Kreiner, Uhl, Nunge & Garza. That's 8 guys for 3 spots.

There's just no freaking way we can play all these guys. For the 3-4-5 spots we have Cook, Pemsl, Baer, Wagner, Kreiner, Uhl, Nunge & Garza. That's 8 guys for 3 spots.

Uhl was remarkably unproductive last year and with him being a senior it's not like him transferring hurts. I would guess/hope the younger guys get the minutes.

I'm just gonna ask this. I don't know the answer and am just curious if it's possible or might happen.

Is there any chance of someone transferring AFTER the European trip? Is it a stupid question or is it possible?

GO HAWKS!!!

This is the reason for a lot of angst over how Fran has managed the scholarship situation. Way too many bigs and far too few guards.

I'm just gonna ask this. I don't know the answer and am just curious if it's possible or might happen.

Is there any chance of someone transferring AFTER the European trip? Is it a stupid question or is it possible?

GO HAWKS!!!
Most players that want to transfer, do so after spring semester. It takes time to find a new home, get admitted and settled. That would be more difficult at the end of summer. Not unheard of but unlikely.

This is the reason for a lot of angst over how Fran has managed the scholarship situation. Way too many bigs and far too few guards.

Totally agree, but maybe not to the extreme you are thinking. I think 1 less big and 1 True PG would balance the class nicely. Then we would have:

PG Jordan and another PG
Wings: Moss, Dailey, Williams, McCaffery, Baer (Nunge/Uhl possibly at times)
PF: Cook, Pemsl, Nunge, Uhl, Wagner (Lose a Big)
C: Kriener, Garza,

Also Fran can and will play without Kriener/Graza at times having either Nunge, Wagner, or Pemsl playing the 5. So while I think we are off kilter right now, I don't think it is that for out of whack. When Joe comes in next year and Uhl goes out, we will be back to balanced with Williams at PG.

Latest posts