Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

They will shave points off that easily just by having experience. The understanding of defensive rotation will be much better this year. It will not happen nearly as much that guys are late getting out on shooters, if they got out on them at all.

Some may disagree, minus the TCU game and 3 or 4 others the defense did improve the 2nd half of the season. Not where it is needs to be, but you could see the light bulb slowly start to turn on.

People remember a handful of bad defensive games at the end of the year and try to use them as proof that they didn't improve. But those handful of games at the end of the year looked just like every game at the beginning of the year.

Those games at the end of the year were a combination of bad defense and lights out shooting. They didn't even need lights out shooting at the beginning of the year because they were getting layups at will.

They will shave points off that easily just by having experience. The understanding of defensive rotation will be much better this year. It will not happen nearly as much that guys are late getting out on shooters, if they got out on them at all.

Some may disagree, minus the TCU game and 3 or 4 others the defense did improve the 2nd half of the season. Not where it is needs to be, but you could see the light bulb slowly start to turn on.
My optimism for the defense improving comes from a few factors. First, as you say those guys who got a lot of playing time last year should improve on the defensive end. Cook and Bohannon know they have to be better there. Second, we lacked size down low last year, but the two incoming freshman are both 6'11 which should help. Having Garza and an emerging Kriener at the 5, allows Cook and Pemsl to play their more natural positions of 4 and should make it easier for them to defend.

I'd like to see Baer take Jok's minutes at the start of the season...see what happens...I would guess lots of good things...he wants to shoot more and his heart is also in team play and defense...+ + +

Latest posts