Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

I didn't say he wasn't good for anything. I'm saying 1000 pts, regardless of the player, in college is not a huge feat. Geez, but don't act like he was Peter Jok out there shooting the ball, because he was not.

I never said he was Peter Jok out there but to say a guy that averaged 8ppg in his career couldn't do anything but pass the ball is ludicrous

I couldn't disagree more. I didn't rip on anyone, I pointed out his flaws and I've pointed out Mike's flaws as well. Jordan can't defend, Mike couldn't shoot 3's. According to PC neither's assists numbers mean much. When people say Jordan could do stuff that Mike couldn't like get to the rim when Mike was way better at that than Jordan that's when I get upset.

I don't know how far I would have to go back to find an Iowa player as good at feeding the post as Bohannon was last year. He is a great passer. Gesell was a decent passer.

PD4lUoB.gif

This isn't true at all. Mike had his weaknesses but when people discredit his strengths when he was a great Hawkeye it frustrates the hell out of me. I just need to realize people have selective memories around here if everyone thinks Jordan could finish at the rim last season and Mike couldn't in his career.

Your schtick is so tired. Why can't Jordan be Jake Sullivan 2.0? Jake Sullivan is one of your all time favs, why can't Bohannon be that guy?

Dude you ripped on Jordan all year long. Don't try to come on here and say you didn't try to discredit him. Then you turn around and act all incredulous that some point out Mikes weaknesses, fans who actually like Mike and appreciate what he did for Iowa. You are a joke, you were even warned that if you didn't lay off ripping on Jordan that you'd get booted, and they don't ban anyone from here.

To be fair to 5656, maybe not all year long. 5656 did completely disappear late in the year which ironically was when JBo played best.

I have high hopes for Garza and Nunge however I feel I need to temper things a little bit. In the summer we are always so hopeful for the newbies and the team we sometimes let things get a little carried away. Some people who watch the PTL have a coaches eye and can evaluate the nuances of players games and how that translates further into players careers. Most of us including myself don't have that eye and we base things on the stats we see and what we read. I'm not putting down anything that's been said because it's very interesting. I'm hoping Garza and Nunge can be as big a factor in their freshman season as JBo was last year. I think the ceiling for this year for both of them is 10 points and 5 rebounds. The potential is there for so much more but we have to remember they will be new to the college game. I'm hoping we avoid the situation we had with Woody. Woody was a four star with high expectations but he didn't live up to the hype. Woody was a good player but he'll forever be remembered for what he didn't do rather than what he did. If I offend anyone with this post I apologize. I'm just trying to be a little conservative for expectations. If Nunge and Garza do amazing things I will be so happy for being wrong.

I have high hopes for Garza and Nunge however I feel I need to temper things a little bit. In the summer we are always so hopeful for the newbies and the team we sometimes let things get a little carried away. Some people who watch the PTL have a coaches eye and can evaluate the nuances of players games and how that translates further into players careers. Most of us including myself don't have that eye and we base things on the stats we see and what we read. I'm not putting down anything that's been said because it's very interesting. I'm hoping Garza and Nunge can be as big a factor in their freshman season as JBo was last year. I think the ceiling for this year for both of them is 10 points and 5 rebounds. The potential is there for so much more but we have to remember they will be new to the college game. I'm hoping we avoid the situation we had with Woody. Woody was a four star with high expectations but he didn't live up to the hype. Woody was a good player but he'll forever be remembered for what he didn't do rather than what he did. If I offend anyone with this post I apologize. I'm just trying to be a little conservative for expectations. If Nunge and Garza do amazing things I will be so happy for being wrong.

I agree with what you are saying about being conservative to an extent. PTL stats are certainly not the end all be all.

On the flip side, is it possible that both of the freshman start (Nunge at 3 - Baer 6th man & Garza at the 5)?

I think the only thing that can stop Nunge from being really good is of he can't handle the mental pressure of playing in front of thousands of fans. You just don't see many guys that long with that good of ball skills.

Like most players I never scored 1000 points but I did lead my high school team in "unimpressive" minutes played.

Ok. I need an honorary vet's opinion. Am I wrong here? I'll admit it if I am. No problem with that. I mean 1,000 pt's is a nice achievement, yes, but is that a benchmark for college ball? It equates to roughly 7.8 ppg over 4 years. I mean 4 made buckets a game.

Exactly, we always do that, and even more with the PTL where can see them. Woodbury was the last that I let myself get all hot & bothered about before starting his career. I think a couple were surprises last year as freshman in Pemsl and Bohannon. I take that as a bonus but keep my expectations tempered a bit.

But, in saying that, I think both are very promising and the future definitely looks bright. Garza solid and polished in the post & rebounds and Nunge seems to have a great overall game with an arsenal of shots and moves.

Latest posts