Nunge Garza Perfect Storm

You've shown you know nothing about basketball so I'm not the least bit surprised you want every player on the roster to play instead of 8 or 9 like 99% of successful teams

When did I ever say how many players I want in the rotation? All I am saying is I know your troll game coming up, and it is the rotation that Fran uses. If Fran plays 9, or 10 guys or more, you are gonna troll it.

I'll trust Fran knows more than any of us regarding playing time for his bench.
It always cracks me up when the casual fan thinks they know more than the coach.

Fran isn't perfect, I think it's fair to question some of his decisions. I think if he play 11 or 12 guys this year that will hurt the team more than help them

When did I ever say how many players I want in the rotation? All I am saying is I know your troll game coming up, and it is the rotation that Fran uses. If Fran plays 9, or 10 guys or more, you are gonna troll it.

How many players would you prefer Fran plays? I am on the record saying it should be 9 at the most

I don't see any reason to play 11 guys. Play your best players all the minutes and let the others ride the bench

Where was this argument at last year? 11 guys played last year for the most part, why is this only coming up now?

I don't see any reason to play 11 guys. Play your best players all the minutes and let the others ride the bench

Baer in minute 25-35 is not as good as Kreiner in minute 0-10. The same can be said up and down the lineup outside of JBo and Cook who will play 32-36 mpg.

Where was this argument at last year? 11 guys played last year for the most part, why is this only coming up now?

You're making it an argument. I think we're going to play 12 this year which is too much in my opinion. I don't even know why I converse with you, I ask you a question and you ignore it.

Baer in minute 25-35 is not as good as Kreiner in minute 0-10. The same can be said up and down the lineup outside of JBo and Cook who will play 32-36 mpg.

This is what I'm thinking as well. That and there isn't much separation between backups and starters other than the 1 and maybe the 4. That is unless someone made a big jump or a freshman is really good. If Nunge demands 30 minutes, the rotation might drop one player. If Baer, Wagner, and Nunge are all pretty much equal, what's the difference if they all play?

What's going to happen is the top tier of guys will almost always get their minutes regardless (unless there is foul trouble). The next tier will get 20 or so most nights. The 3rd tier will get a couple minutes per half most nights and steal minutes from the 2nd tier on the nights they are playing well.

The reason this can be a good thing is the guys from the 3rd tier are better on their good nights then the guys from the 2nd tier are on their average nights. It's worth a couple minutes to see what they are going to bring. Especially a guy like Ellingson who is capable of putting up 20.

Yep, Lebron's not really a true point guard but plays that role for that team which works.

While Lebron does handle the ball a lot, I believe it was clear that Kyrie Irving was the PG on that team. Your point that Lebron does isolate on top with the ball a lot is true, but he is also extremely effective off the bounce.

I wonder if the infatuation on this site over dribble penetration stems from how horrible of shooters Fran's first teams were. Remember how tgey bricked open look after open look? A guy who could get to the hoop seemed pretty important back then. Now all I want to see are 3s and layups/dunks.

I think it is still pretty important. When you need to get a bucket and they are in your shorts on the perimeter, Jordan showed he could back up to get open, but I believe Iowa's best teams always had someone that could take it to the hole and either score or get fouled and score from the free throw line. White is a great example of that. When you needed a score, he put his head down and went to the hoop with a knack for drawing contact and getting to the FT line. Passing will get you so far, but you still need someone that can dribble penetrate, even if they kick it out when the D collapses.

Fran isn't perfect, I think it's fair to question some of his decisions. I think if he play 11 or 12 guys this year that will hurt the team more than help them
Casual fan questions the proven coach. Armchair quarterback.
So who are the four guys that doesn't deserve to be in the rotation? This should be good...

Casual fan questions the proven coach. Armchair quarterback.
So who are the four guys that doesn't deserve to be in the rotation? This should be good...

Dailey, Williams, Uhl and Kriener. That's assuming Garza and Nunge are better than Kriener. Let's face it's not like those 4 are all McDonald's All Americans that need minutes.

I can't say I completely disagree with 56 in this case. You won't find many examples of teams that went 11-12 deep and had much success. 13 deep is unheard of.

I agree that outside of our top handful of guys there isn't much separation. That is why I continue to say that Fran is going to have to make the difficult decisions on who will be part of the rotation. Basketball is a game where players need to get into the flow of the game to have success. Imo it's very difficult for most players to have success playing a couple minutes each half.

I think Fran will ultimately have to decide between some of our similar players.

Uhl vs Wagner. Both guys are athletic 4 men who provide strong defense and can rebound. Both guys are somewhat inept on offense. I'd choose Wagner because I think he is the best offensive rebounder on our team and extra possessions are huge. So if there is 12-14 minutes to allocate, instead of each guy playing 6-7 I'd give Wagner all 14. Again this is a tough decision, but IMO the right decision.

Garza vs Kriener. I think there is a good chance both are in the rotation but this would be a good way to shorten the rotation as both are pretty similar. On paper I'd lean Garza as at 6'11 he has the look of a more true center.

While Lebron does handle the ball a lot, I believe it was clear that Kyrie Irving was the PG on that team. Your point that Lebron does isolate on top with the ball a lot is true, but he is also extremely effective off the bounce.

Definitely agree. That is the way I view it.

I think it is still pretty important. When you need to get a bucket and they are in your shorts on the perimeter, Jordan showed he could back up to get open, but I believe Iowa's best teams always had someone that could take it to the hole and either score or get fouled and score from the free throw line. White is a great example of that. When you needed a score, he put his head down and went to the hoop with a knack for drawing contact and getting to the FT line. Passing will get you so far, but you still need someone that can dribble penetrate, even if they kick it out when the D collapses.

Agree, but do you also agree that Fran's offense is not based on a dribble drive philosophy. If I recall last year, Iowa didn't have any problems getting shots off prior to the shot clock. If I remember correctly, weren't they one of the faster shooting teams on offense?

Dailey, Williams, Uhl and Kriener. That's assuming Garza and Nunge are better than Kriener. Let's face it's not like those 4 are all McDonald's All Americans that need minutes.

You're whole point is the lack of a PG at Iowa. Why would you not play Williams? I believe Dailey and Uhl may be the odd men out, unless Dailey has really improved and brings something this year. Problem with Uhl is that he's just OK in all areas and doesn't really stand out in any one area of his game. Solid but doesn't stand out.

You're whole point is the lack of a PG at Iowa. Why would you not play Williams? I believe Dailey and Uhl may be the odd men out, unless Dailey has really improved and brings something this year. Problem with Uhl is that he's just OK in all areas and doesn't really stand out in any one area of his game. Solid but doesn't stand out.

Williams isn't good so I wouldn't play him. I'm hopeful Uhl doesn't play but with Fran's track record I think it's safe to say he will be in the rotation

Latest posts