Morehouse Tweet

Dan Hurley; Rhode Island, Gregg Marshall Wichita St, for starters, .....and pay them whatever it takes to get them here.
I wouldn't mind getting either of the Hurleys. They are no nonsense guys that I'm sure would succeed at Iowa. But would he or Bobby even consider Iowa? Marshall I believe the last few years has had better offers than Iowa on the table and stayed put. So I can't assume he's a realistic option either.

Couple things:

1. No one is bitching about the extension, it's the changing of the buyout to an assinine amount that's got people upset.
2. Patrick hasn't shown himself to be an asset in recruiting. What he's shown is he is knows how to be perpetually butthurt about anything (Connor being "snubbed", people ragging on his dad's defense, etc).
3. We aren't getting all 4 of those guys.....not a chance.

Here is what we should do: Blast a high school kid who is very loyal to his family; why should anyone be surprised or upset about what a 16 year old tweets? Nothing better to do?

Isn't 8 years enough to find a PG?

Our last PG was a 4 year starter who set the school record for assists in a season and went to 3 NCAA's - only to be followed by another PG who was Freshman All B1G - set a school record for freshman assists - is going to destroy the career record for that, probably will leave the school in all time 3 pt shots and will score over 1500 pts...

why oh why god can't Fran find a PG?

Last edited:
He has had at least three teams fold, won ONE NCAA Tourney game, what evidence do you have that he is a good coach ? None, this is not like football, where it takes years to turn a program around, Fran has had his chance and he blew it. All of you apologists make me sick.

Take some alka selzer.

Couple things:

1. No one is bitching about the extension, it's the changing of the buyout to an assinine amount that's got people upset.
2. Patrick hasn't shown himself to be an asset in recruiting. What he's shown is he is knows how to be perpetually butthurt about anything (Connor being "snubbed", people ragging on his dad's defense, etc).
3. We aren't getting all 4 of those guys.....not a chance.

Nailed it Spider..

1. recast the argument falsely to try and invalidate it
2. Misrepresent the value or accuracy of a key piece of your argument
3. Present a hypothetical as a sure thing, and to take it one step further...assume that IF that hypothetical does happen it will result in a specific outcome. (Fran will somehow coach that team better than he has this one)

Last edited:
Our last PG was a 4 year starter who set the school record for assists in a season and went to 3 NCAA's - only to be followed by another PG who was Freshman All B1G - set a school record for freshman assists - is going to destroy the career record for that, probably will leave the school in all time 3 pt shoots and will scored over 1500 pts...

why oh why god can't Fran find a PG?

Fran's team and system needs a PG that can shoot the 3 ball more than he needs a PG that drives to the hoop. He has that. Jo Bo also has very good assist to TO margin. He's doing a fine job there but could play better defense.

Sorry that you are triggered, but you probably shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it. Go find your safe place.

If you think an instate kid will choose Iowa, with a half full arena, and a poor coach you are delusional.

I'm not triggered at all. I am not calling you names or dishing anything out really. So, I don't know if you know what that saying really means....Ya know the "shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it" whole take. I didn't dish anything out.

Amazing how losers like In Good Company embrace mediocrity. The Fight for Iowa motto becomes, meh we might win someday, come on guys lets cheer really loud this time. Had the internet been around in the 70s' they would have sung the praises of Bob Cummings and Dick Schultz instead of demanding a Hayden Fry and Lute Olson.

Wow. I bet "good company" will lay awake all night after this post.

I want you to define to me what your great point guard is? What attributes would you be fine with in a PG?

A 6'5" shut down defender who is faster than lightning, can shoot 50% from 3, can drive to the hoop and dunk over a 7' center, and can play 40 minutes per game scoring around 15-20 baskets and dishing out a record number of assists. OK, Fran: Get to work!

Wow. I bet "good company" will lay awake all night after this post.

I wasn't around for much of the 70's - if I was - I would have invented the internet tho just to get on and say "Yippee Iowa - I love the Fran McCaffery ... I love the Gary Barta ... sunshine - rain bow brite land ...and unicorns at Iowa...we're #1. ... ...maybe SOMEDAY we'll be the bestest in the world...YIPPEEE"

I honestly get that I am a fan, I just don't really do all that. I like things to make sense. A lot of times, you guys help me make sense of things. I am appreciate of it. I like that you guys have different points of view. Keeps me honest.

Direct quote from Gary Barta’s interview.

“Many times, when we announce coaches’ contracts, it’s for recruiting. In this case, we didn’t need an advantage in recruiting. Recruiting’s been going fine. So I made the decision to wait until the end of the season”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1075928001

This wasn’t about recruiting, it was about GB locking up a coach he thinks is the best Iowa can do.

Mind reader! Go to Vegas!

Wow, the "We could do worse, just give Fran a chance" crowd is in full bloom. Enjoy it, half-full CHA, no tourney, fundamentals of a sixth grade "Y" team, because we may, might, could have a shot at some great instate players some day. Fire Fran, Fire Barta, Go Hawks.

Direct quote from Gary Barta’s interview.

“Many times, when we announce coaches’ contracts, it’s for recruiting. In this case, we didn’t need an advantage in recruiting. Recruiting’s been going fine. So I made the decision to wait until the end of the season”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1075928001

This wasn’t about recruiting, it was about GB locking up a coach he thinks is the best Iowa can do.

I hear a lot of "coach speak" in that IMO - I think it was only about recruiting and betting on Fran by Barta - he's investing his own future in Fran's success and wants to give him every reason to be successful. I know that means I am naive and a loser but that's what I think. I still think the buy out is out of whack and they should have announced it when it was done instead of worrying about the blow back of a slow start to what has now become a miserable season.

I hear a lot of "coach speak" in that IMO - I think it was only about recruiting and betting on Fran by Barta - he's investing his own future in Fran's success and wants to give him every reason to be successful. I know that means I am naive and a loser but that's what I think. I still think the buy out is out of whack and they should have announced it when it was done instead of worrying about the blow back of a slow start to what has now become a miserable season.
Wow. I thought that quote where he directly says it wasn’t about recruiting may change your tune some. I really admire your optimism but this doesn’t make sense.

I looked up Greg Gard’s contract and he’s only signed through the 2021-2022 season. Do you think he’s at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail now? I think it’s unlikely that a 2019 recruit won’t sign somewhere if a coach isn’t signed for all 4 years. If they believe in a coach and a program they aren’t going to worry about that. If that was the case every school would have to lock up their coach for at least 5 years out in order to recruit, which clearly isn’t the case.

This was:
1. Unnecessary extension
2. Bad buyout
3. Terrible PR by the athletic department

There is really no reason to try and justify it. The whole point of this thread is actually kind of dumb in my opinion. Even if it works out I don’t think that proves this was a good move. We could have waited until after next season to make our decision one way or another.

A 6'5" shut down defender who is faster than lightning, can shoot 50% from 3, can drive to the hoop and dunk over a 7' center, and can play 40 minutes per game scoring around 15-20 baskets and dishing out a record number of assists. OK, Fran: Get to work!

Yep. I honestly think some people think those players are just freely available.

Wow, the "We could do worse, just give Fran a chance" crowd is in full bloom. Enjoy it, half-full CHA, no tourney, fundamentals of a sixth grade "Y" team, because we may, might, could have a shot at some great instate players some day. Fire Fran, Fire Barta, Go Hawks.

............and in the end with what you state above, I'd still rather have him as our coach than have you as a fan.

drop mic.

Wow. I thought that quote where he directly says it wasn’t about recruiting may change your tune some. I really admire your optimism but this doesn’t make sense.

I looked up Greg Gard’s contract and he’s only signed through the 2021-2022 season. Do you think he’s at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail now? I think it’s unlikely that a 2019 recruit won’t sign somewhere if a coach isn’t signed for all 4 years. If they believe in a coach and a program they aren’t going to worry about that. If that was the case every school would have to lock up their coach for at least 5 years out in order to recruit, which clearly isn’t the case.

This was:
1. Unnecessary extension
2. Bad buyout
3. Terrible PR by the athletic department

There is really no reason to try and justify it. The whole point of this thread is actually kind of dumb in my opinion. Even if it works out I don’t think that proves this was a good move. We could have waited until after next season to make our decision one way or another.

sorry man - I thought it would spur good discussion. I feel like it has. Greg Gard took a Cadillac and drove into a ditch. I think he's at an absolute recruiting disadvantage now. Just like Fran would have been with out an extension with his 19 and 20 classes and having the talent that appears the state has. It's my opinion dude. I can have it. You can have yours. You make some good points. Please don't get upset with me over it. You can think I'm crazy and I aint going anywhere and you are welcome to rub my nose in it when your prediction for the program rings true.

Latest posts