Morehouse Tweet

And to be honest, I'm not nearly as offended by the extension as I am the buy out and the fact they didn't release the info. But, that's been beat to death - it's not good. But what if the above happened?
This. The extension is not nearly egregious as the buyout — Although there is a hand-in-hand correlation.

IF there were numerous chances for Fran to move on then the $1 million payment to Iowa is ridiculously low while Iowa has to pay a ridiculous amount for Fran failing.

IF Fran ends up with those players on the floor then he’s not leaving anyway or getting fired.

Couple things:

1. No one is bitching about the extension, it's the changing of the buyout to an assinine amount that's got people upset.
2. Patrick hasn't shown himself to be an asset in recruiting. What he's shown is he is knows how to be perpetually butthurt about anything (Connor being "snubbed", people ragging on his dad's defense, etc).
3. We aren't getting all 4 of those guys.....not a chance.

What if it happens and we still suck, because Fran is a crappy coach?

On the way into work today I was thinking, but the guy has coached 4 different teams to the NCAA tournament. Not many have done that. He has something. I say we ride it out and this year may be an anomaly. I'm not going to fret or get myself worked up about it. He's our coach so I'm just going to support him.

We as fans begged for a different style of play and he's brought the faster pace. I just don't think people need to wish for coaches every time it gets a little uncomfortable. This is one that I think could end up being "Damn, wish we had coach McCaffery back, we didn't know what we were missing". Hope it doesn't get to that.

I think he's realized the message about bad defense being a problem. I think he may have staff changes at the end of the year to help address this. I think he know it needs to get corrected. If he succeeds, then BOOM, they are on the correct track.

Just my 2.

I stand by my comment, and I had read it before. There is little to be optimistic about in his comments, especially the; 'keeping my options open part'. As in "thanks for the dance, I find you interesting, but I'm really looking for my dream date."

Dude, he's a 2020 commit, not a 2018 commit. Of course he's going to keep his options open. A lot of time for anything to happen.

Couple things:

1. No one is bitching about the extension, it's the changing of the buyout to an assinine amount that's got people upset.
2. Patrick hasn't shown himself to be an asset in recruiting. What he's shown is he is knows how to be perpetually butthurt about anything (Connor being "snubbed", people ragging on his dad's defense, etc).
3. We aren't getting all 4 of those guys.....not a chance.

If you are relying on an 18 yr old kid to keep your program healthy, ya got problems.

Dude, he's a 2020 commit, not a 2018 commit. Of course he's going to keep his options open. A lot of time for anything to happen.

Exactly my point, the implication was that he was coming....that is just silly, a lot of recruits that end up at other schools have attended Iowa camps, practices, etc. Foster may well end up being the most highly recruited player ever in this state. What is the incentive for him to go to Iowa if Fran continues with the current downward trajectory of the program?

On the way into work today I was thinking, but the guy has coached 4 different teams to the NCAA tournament. Not many have done that. He has something. I say we ride it out and this year may be an anomaly. I'm not going to fret or get myself worked up about it. He's our coach so I'm just going to support him.

We as fans begged for a different style of play and he's brought the faster pace. I just don't think people need to wish for coaches every time it gets a little uncomfortable. This is one that I think could end up being "Damn, wish we had coach McCaffery back, we didn't know what we were missing". Hope it doesn't get to that.

I think he's realized the message about bad defense being a problem. I think he may have staff changes at the end of the year to help address this. I think he know it needs to get corrected. If he succeeds, then BOOM, they are on the correct track.

Just my 2.
I never begged for fast paced, no defense - basketball. That's a recipe for .500 results. The game is played on both ends of the floor.

The only explanation to Barta’s contract is he gets some sort of bonus each year based on how big a buyout his coaches have. I mean seriously I don’t mind extending our coaches, but those buyouts are insanely stupid.

That would mean Barta would have to have deep intimate big time knowledge of college hoops. He would have to envision how that talent projects out. Does anyone think Barta is that guy?

He may have a few connections in terms of finding a head coach, but is he connected in a way to tell him what to look for in potential recruits? I doubt it.

I think we all need to trust Barta. He knows what he is doing. He operates secretly and hides contracts because of internet criticism. If we all just support Barta, things will be great in a few years.

Another softball tweet from the Iowa media. Unless it is Duke blueblood like talent....and even then....they have to be coached by this coaching staff.

Got to protect those press passes.......

Another softball tweet from the Iowa media. Unless it is Duke blueblood like talent....and even then....they have to be coached by this coaching staff.

Got to protect those press passes.......

uhh.....Morehouse specifically said the points were sent to him from an emailer. It wasn't Morehouse himself speaking.

I think Suggs and Foster would be a bigger get for Fran than Carton and Foster

uhh.....Morehouse specifically said the points were sent to him from an emailer. It wasn't Morehouse himself speaking.

I think Suggs and Foster would be a bigger get for Fran than Carton and Foster
But, it is Morehouse endorsing it.

If this were to pan out like this - what do you think?

As Matthew would say:

Personally, I would like to see another top ten team composed of Iowa Lads. That is a potential powerhouse lineup. We don't have much success recruiting out of state, although Tyler Cook was a definite bonus. The state is producing some serious talent right now.....

If JoeW had been onboard against the Spartans we just might have won that one. Another sharpshooter on the floor makes things more difficult for the opponents D to handle. Jordan, Joe, and Tyler in the game together will be positive. Isaiah coming around lately is a solid bonus. He was instrumental in keeping it close against Michigan State. Looked like he turned the corner. We need to get the ball to him sooner in transition. He can make things happen when he is on the move in the open court, especially on the wings.....

Hopefully, it will all work out.....

:cool:

What if it happens and we still suck, because Fran is a crappy coach?

Look - I get it you don't like Fran. I also get that you think I am some blind homer... but really, if you objectively look at a guy who's had 400 D1 wins, 4 NCAA tournaments with 4 schools... i mean, he knows something. Crappy coaches don't make it this far this long. They get exposed. I'm not saying this will work out, I have no idea. But I feel comfortable saying that it won't be because Fran is a crappy coach.

Is DJ Carton really going to say, you know what I don’t think I’m going to go to the school I like because their coach is only signed through my junior year?
yes?

From what I understand, stability of the guy recruiting the player and knowing that guy will be there the entire duration of their playing time, or at least the school is committed to the coach is one of the top things recruits and their families look at when choosing a school.

maybe that's not true?

Just my 2.
Could you imagine if Fran left. Got another gig and in a short time took them dancing? While we would go through the joys of rebuilding because we'd lose no less than 2 players (his sons plus who knows who else) I'm with you on this. Fran's been around enough that we know he's not a bad coach. Now he's not Mr. Davis either but I do think we'd miss him if they did something as rash as get rid of him after this year.

Also - my take is simple. There's no excuse for the buy out - there's no excuse for not announcing it. But, if the extension was made with the thought of all this future talent in Iowa coming up and Fran's kids being part of the lynch pin, then I'm ok they locked him up. Even if Fran's kid ISN'T part of the attraction, Fran has had a good track record at convincing the states best talent to stay home. The next in state kid who get's out that Fran wanted will be first or is that wrong? And if Barta ISN'T looking at from that prospective like you all indicate, then that's grounds for firing (among a zillion other things) right there.

Latest posts