Morehouse Tweet

Look - I get it you don't like Fran. I also get that you think I am some blind homer... but really, if you objectively look at a guy who's had 400 D1 wins, 4 NCAA tournaments with 4 schools... i mean, he knows something. Crappy coaches don't make it this far this long. They get exposed. I'm not saying this will work out, I have no idea. But I feel comfortable saying that it won't be because Fran is a crappy coach.
He has had at least three teams fold, won ONE NCAA Tourney game, what evidence do you have that he is a good coach ? None, this is not like football, where it takes years to turn a program around, Fran has had his chance and he blew it. All of you apologists make me sick.

He has had at least three teams fold, won ONE NCAA Tourney game, what evidence do you have that he is a good coach ? None, this is not like football, where it takes years to turn a program around, Fran has had his chance and he blew it. All of you apologists make me sick.
You know you’re not an Iowa fan when you don’t even know how many tournament games Iowa has won under Fran....

Also - my take is simple. There's no excuse for the buy out - there's no excuse for not announcing it. But, if the extension was made with the thought of all this future talent in Iowa coming up and Fran's kids being part of the lynch pin, then I'm ok they locked him up. Even if Fran's kid ISN'T part of the attraction, Fran has had a good track record at convincing the states best talent to stay home. The next in state kid who get's out that Fran wanted will be first or is that wrong? And if Barta ISN'T looking at from that prospective like you all indicate, then that's grounds for firing (among a zillion other things) right there.
Here where your logic is completely wrong. If the extension was about future recruiting why didn’t he announce it as soon as it was signed?? What if DJ Carton already committed elsewhere before we even announced it?

Side note: Marcus Paige and Wes Washpun would be two in state guys we missed, for various reasons, but the point remains we have done a pretty good job instate.

I never begged for fast paced, no defense - basketball. That's a recipe for .500 results. The game is played on both ends of the floor.

So you'd rather have Lickliter's slow half court game with scores in the 50's? Most fans wanted a change in the style of play and to have the Iowa teams play faster and press more. Iowa seeked out a coach with this style. They had to get that right as it was prob the #1 priority.

Could you imagine if Fran left. Got another gig and in a short time took them dancing? While we would go through the joys of rebuilding because we'd lose no less than 2 players (his sons plus who knows who else) I'm with you on this. Fran's been around enough that we know he's not a bad coach. Now he's not Mr. Davis either but I do think we'd miss him if they did something as rash as get rid of him after this year.

Bingo! Well stated and what I am thinking. I don't think it would be after this year, but after next year if similar results. That is exactly what would happen. He'd go somewhere else, turn it around. We could be left wishing we had him back.

They play exciting enough ball that I get enjoyment out of watching them. Would I like better results at times or this year, OF COURSE. But I chalk that up to youth and I still have hope the future will be special with this group. I'd rather do that than be that team that changes coaches every 3 yrs (see Nebraska football) and have no consistency.

Chill. Why do want to live your life so bitter?

There are some coaches you know aren't a good fit or are going to turn it around. I don't have that feeling with Fran. He's going to get this straight. I like his passion, I even like his temper.

So you'd rather have Lickliter's slow half court game with scores in the 50's? Most fans wanted a change in the style of play and to have the Iowa teams play faster and press more. Iowa seeked out a coach with this style. They had to get that right as it was prob the #1 priority.
Bo Ryan played it that way and he got Final Fours. I'll take a coach like Bo Ryan and his 50s scoring offense, thanks.

Bingo! Well stated and what I am thinking. I don't think it would be after this year, but after next year if similar results. That is exactly what would happen. He'd go somewhere else, turn it around. We could be left wishing we had him back.

They play exciting enough ball that I get enjoyment out of watching them. Would I like better results at times or this year, OF COURSE. But I chalk that up to youth and I still have hope the future will be special with this group. I'd rather do that than be that team that changes coaches every 3 yrs (see Nebraska football) and have no consistency.
Yup. It's not ideal to have some ebbs and flows with the program I get that. But it's tough to get to the top and just as tough or more to stay there when your not a blue blood program. I can't see playing musical chairs with the HC job helping with that at a school like Iowa. I get it Frans 8 years in but if the Mr. Davis story didn't teach us anything then shame on us.

what a douche, yes they won two.....point is Franny has not taken them past the second round. He is a loser.
I was not defending Fran. Merely pointing out that your argument loses credibility quickly with an error like that.

I’ve called for Fran to be fired after this season, but we know that’s unlikely.

To play devil’s advocate however, 2 tournament wins over Fran’s tenure puts us on par or ahead of the following B1G schools:
- Minnesota
- Nebraska
- Illinois
- Northwestern
- Penn State
- Rutgers

Bo Ryan played it that way and he got Final Fours. I'll take a coach like Bo Ryan and his 50s scoring offense, thanks.

I like good results, so of course Bo Ryan and his final 4's would be awesome. Yet if I had my choice and either team would be a final 4 teams, I'd prefer to watch a team that scored in the 70's vs one that scored in the 50's.

My guess is the #1 priority was winning basketball games.

Chill. Why do want to live your life so bitter?

There are some coaches you know aren't a good fit or are going to turn it around. I don't have that feeling with Fran. He's going to get this straight. I like his passion, I even like his temper.

Not bitter at all, however I do not understand why so called Hawk fans are so eager to embrace mediocrity. Other schools change coaches often until they find the right fit. Fran is not and never will be a Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, Mr. Davis.....he has proven that, so let's go find a winner and dump the loser.

Not bitter at all, however I do not understand why so called Hawk fans are so eager to embrace mediocrity. Other schools change coaches often until they find the right fit. Fran is not and never will be a Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, Mr. Davis.....he has proven that, so let's go find a winner and dump the loser.

What coach would YOU hire and what would you pay them per year to convince them to leave their current job to come coach Iowa?

Yup. It's not ideal to have some ebbs and flows with the program I get that. But it's tough to get to the top and just as tough or more to stay there when your not a blue blood program. I can't see playing musical chairs with the HC job helping with that at a school like Iowa. I get it Frans 8 years in but if the Mr. Davis story didn't teach us anything then shame on us.

Look what Mr. Davis did at damn Drake after he left. That Drake team was fun to watch. Look at Matt Painter, who may have the best NCAA team this year or a chance to go to the Final Four. Just a couple years ago he and Purdue had a horrible season. It's just the cycle at times. You have to just ride the low times out at times.

Latest posts