Kyle Meyer: OMG

Ding. Ding. Ding. Here we go again. Round 762. Herby's getting beatup again. Can anybody show me a thread on this site where Herby does NOT get beatup for something he's said? Should we be laughing? Or feeling sorry for the poor guy? Dang!

Maybe everyone can chip in a little and buy Herb a subscription to a pay site so we don't have to see his drivel in EVERY thread? At this pace, might as well change the name of the site to Herbynation.

Good thread...has all the elements...including some cheap HS sex humor.

My thoughts:

1. Meyer looks good on video. He played on one of the more high profile AAU programs in the country ,the Atlanta Celtics,so I have to wonder why he is not sniffing top 150 lists?

2. I am amused by CAAR's assertion that now somehow the objective ratings of players are meaningless,I guess. He is the numbers guru, but chooses to disparage highly rated kids because of their origin? In the summer AAU tournys in Vegas,Chicago,ect,is when these recruits make their bones,not out in the cornfields.

3. As far as red-shirting, Fran is the one who mentioned it. I think he probably wishes he had redshirted Gabe this year,and knows that he cannot play 13 guys next year.
So, there will be a competition in the fall,and logically, Meyer and Ingram are two guys that might be considered for redshirts. Big men like Meyer almost always benefit from a redshirt. I am sure that Woody could also,but he outplayed Meyer in the summer,clearly, so he is less likely.

If Kyle is immediately ready to contribute,he will be out there. If not, then he might redshirt. I think he might be pre-med anyway,so who knows,he might embrace the concept.
Ingram needs to improve his perimeter game,and Kyle probably needs more strength..so maybe a year off to work on those areas would be a huge boon to both players and program alike.

My brother attended Kyle's last game against Wheeler where my nephew attends. Wheeler is loaded always sending players to college and some to the NBA. He mentioned Kyle started bringing up the ball against their press (with ease) because the other guards were struggling. He also mentioned that he had an awesome block on Wheelers stud center. He also hit several 3's with ease. He is a bona fide 3 point shooter. Give's other team fits with his outside shot.

The only downside he mentioned was his need to add bulk as many have suggested. But basically Kyle and one other player kept Northview in the game against Wheeler who is 2 deep at every position.

careful smomebodies going to accuse you of lying and demand you provide a link.

Weight lifting is good for one thing and that is bulk, in fact it can actually hurt a BB player, as the bigger the muscles the less flexabilty you have.
BBplayers need flexability , which for you simple minded people the ability to move your arms quicker, and feet quicker, this is where proper conditioning comes in, it is far better to be able to swim a mile or so than to be able to squat 550 lbs or bench 300 lbs,
They have nautilis machines designed to work every muscle in the body, Treadmills to establish durability, there was even a Sport interview with a collage where they showed players running up and down hillside to build up strength in the legs, or where they have no hills there is the steps in the arena that are used to this,
there is more running for BB players than any use of weights, can give them as for strength and conditioning

Holy crap this is chock full of fail!!!!!

Weight training is a huge part of college basketball programs. Of course, it's a different program than football.

Royce White can bench more than 1-2 players EVER entering the NBA draft. Look at Dwight Howard. Now that's a swimmer's body if I ever saw one.

My daughter is a volleyball player and they are in the weight room all off-season.

Last edited:
I never thought it was possible to disagree with almost everything someone says and still like them so much. in my opinion herby makes this place way better. he brings a lot of info (some of it is actually correct) and he gets conversations started. I try to read everything herby posts

and you go back 4 months to prove that i stated false info. since you are calling me out you prove it, or STFU

YOU attributed the quote to Meyer, the burden of proof falls on you detective. Find the quote you were referring to or STFU. It should not be that hard.

Weight lifting is good for one thing and that is bulk, in fact it can actually hurt a BB player, as the bigger the muscles the less flexabilty you have.
BBplayers need flexability , which for you simple minded people the ability to move your arms quicker, and feet quicker, this is where proper conditioning comes in, it is far better to be able to swim a mile or so than to be able to squat 550 lbs or bench 300 lbs,
They have nautilis machines designed to work every muscle in the body, Treadmills to establish durability, there was even a Sport interview with a collage where they showed players running up and down hillside to build up strength in the legs, or where they have no hills there is the steps in the arena that are used to this,
there is more running for BB players than any use of weights, can give them as for strength and conditioning

Jeezus. You do realize there are weights other than 550bls and 300lbs? And weightlifting is not all about adding "bulk". You do know that lifting less weight with more reps is completely different than lifting heavy weights with less reps, right? Sometimes I wonder how you even figure out how to turn the computer on to type your nonsense.

careful smomebodies going to accuse you of lying and demand you provide a link.

No because Bowlhawk doesnt have the reputation of talking out of his *** and not backing up his statements. You do though.

Kind of like how Wisconsin crushed OSU last Sunday 83-60, right herby?

I never thought it was possible to disagree with almost everything someone says and still like them so much. in my opinion herby makes this place way better. he brings a lot of info (some of it is actually correct) and he gets conversations started. I try to read everything herby posts

Agree. I'm a moth and he's the light.

I was going to comment on double H's recent screed about weight lifting hurting basketball players, but I think the rest of you have covered the bases.

Holy crap this is chock full of fail!!!!!

Weight training is a huge part of college basketball programs. Of course, it's a different program than football.

Royce White can bench more than 1-2 players EVER entering the NBA draft. Look at Dwight Howard. Now that's a swimmer's body if I ever saw one.

you ever been to a BB practice? tell you wht if you get into the new practice facility take pictures and prove me wrong on the type equipment they use, iCan almost guantee it is no where near what they have for the football players, no matter how much you hate me or the truth, there is a major difference in the 2 sports weight and conditiong facility and the equipment they use

I think he probably wishes he had redshirted Gabe this year,and knows that he cannot play 13 guys next year.

Good post, but I want to reply to this quote. I think you are right and that Fran probably wished he could have redshirted Gabe. But he has played him out of necessity. One thing I love about Fran is he is willing to try anything to find the right matchup to get the job done. There have been many games where McCabe gets into foul trouble, Basabe is ineffective, so he will try anything to slow down some of the other teams big men. We have even seen him use Stokes on occasion. But next year I would not be surprised to see whoever loses the battle of the big men get redshirted. But get them all in, work them out, and play the best ones that give them the best chance to win.

Not lifting weights really put a damper on Kevin Durant's career.

And I have read that the kid that starts the video out by getting blocked by Meyer is none other than Charles Mitchell, a kid Iowa was looking at earlier in the year until his grades became a concern.

you ever been to a BB practice? tell you wht if you get into the new practice facility take pictures and prove me wrong on the type equipment they use, iCan almost guantee it is no where near what they have for the football players, no matter how much you hate me or the truth, there is a major difference in the 2 sports weight and conditiong facility and the equipment they use

Nobody is arguing that there's a difference but there's also a significant crossover in equipment and even techniques.

Basketball players need to be strong (weights) and football players spend hours on flexibility.

Not lifting weights really put a damper on Kevin Durant's career.

And I have read that the kid that starts the video out by getting blocked by Meyer is none other than Charles Mitchell, a kid Iowa was looking at earlier in the year until his grades became a concern.

Durant isn't an outlier or anything.

Latest posts