Kyle Meyer: OMG

i went to Denver and graduated over 35 years ago, the weight we had were simple in plastic coated cement weight the kind you get at KMart, and the graduating classes avg 45- in a small class, to 60 in a huge class, which put my class on the high end with 59.as for the weight thing for Meyer i am sorry you can't or won't accept that the kid didn't lift weight before Fran got him to committ, some kids are just not into lifting weights.even my son who was out for Football and BB never got into the weights and started as a 7th and 8th grader til he quit both to take up bowling where he earned 1st team All State his JR and SE year and earned over $9000 in scholarships by bowling in a State wide tourney that featured bowlers from all over the midwest including college bowler, from as far away as Witcha State, i tried to get him to get use the weight to strengthen his forearms and wrists, so not every body uses weight.sorry if that is hard for you to grasp

every high school boy has strong forearms and wrists

they do? i certainly don't see kids with the arms of Popeye running around, and todays kid don't spend time on a farm helping with Bailing hay by working on the rack or in thebarn stacking like they used to in my day, i never lifted weights until i was in the service, and sarted FB from the 7th thru senior year,

Look herby, we are not talking about a kid who started as a seventh grader and quite to take up bowling. I'm sure Meyer has been committed to getting a college basketball scholarship since he was in grade school and that someone during that time would have clued him into the fact that he would need to spend some time in the weight room to make that happen.

i went to Denver and graduated over 35 years ago, the weight we had were simple in plastic coated cement weight the kind you get at KMart, and the graduating classes avg 45- in a small class, to 60 in a huge class, which put my class on the high end with 59.
as for the weight thing for Meyer i am sorry you can't or won't accept that the kid didn't lift weight before Fran got him to committ, some kids are just not into lifting weights.
even my son who was out for Football and BB never got into the weights and started as a 7th and 8th grader til he quit both to take up bowling where he earned 1st team All State his JR and SE year and earned over $9000 in scholarships by bowling in a State wide tourney that featured bowlers from all over the midwest including college bowler, from as far away as Witcha State, i tried to get him to get use the weight to strengthen his forearms and wrists, so not every body uses weight.
sorry if that is hard for you to grasp

All I want is a link to the quote that you attributed to Meyer. You spout off all those BS stats and quotes and never have anything to back them up with. Find a link to the article or STFU.

Side note- I didnt know your son is Big Ern McCracken

ernie-mccracken.jpg

You mean after a kid signs with Iowa the coaches do not always put them on a strengthening program?

i went to Denver and graduated over 35 years ago, the weight we had were simple in plastic coated cement weight the kind you get at KMart, and the graduating classes avg 45- in a small class, to 60 in a huge class, which put my class on the high end with 59.as for the weight thing for Meyer i am sorry you can't or won't accept that the kid didn't lift weight before Fran got him to committ, some kids are just not into lifting weights.even my son who was out for Football and BB never got into the weights and started as a 7th and 8th grader til he quit both to take up bowling where he earned 1st team All State his JR and SE year and earned over $9000 in scholarships by bowling in a State wide tourney that featured bowlers from all over the midwest including college bowler, from as far away as Witcha State, i tried to get him to get use the weight to strengthen his forearms and wrists, so not every body uses weight.sorry if that is hard for you to grasp
every high school boy has strong forearms and wrists

Ayyyyooooooooo!!!!

That being said not sure what The Legend's son has to do with this thread.

just pointing out that NOT ALL kids lift weights and not all kids have the wrist and arm strength of a muscle man as a kid

My brother attended Kyle's last game against Wheeler where my nephew attends. Wheeler is loaded always sending players to college and some to the NBA. He mentioned Kyle started bringing up the ball against their press (with ease) because the other guards were struggling. He also mentioned that he had an awesome block on Wheelers stud center. He also hit several 3's with ease. He is a bona fide 3 point shooter. Give's other team fits with his outside shot.

The only downside he mentioned was his need to add bulk as many have suggested. But basically Kyle and one other player kept Northview in the game against Wheeler who is 2 deep at every position.

I have no idea of Meyer's past history with lifting weights or not, but a lot of people on this board seem to place too much value on weightlifting for basketball players. It can be important at times, but way too many of us view the basketball program through the lens of our experience with Chris Doyle and the Iowa football program.

Tony Wroten is a freshman for the University of Washington. He is one of the best basketball players in the Pac-12, and many think he'll leave for the NBA this year. I recently heard an interview with him in which he said he never lifted a weight before this fall.

Of course, he isn't rail thin, but the point is you don't need to be ripped or bulk up to be effective. In fact, it may even hurt you at times. Strength is important, but basketball is much more about balance, quickness and hand-eye coordination with dribbling and shooting.

I also wonder if playing a zillion AAU games a year curbs some of these guys' desire and time for weightlifting.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Here we go again. Round 762. Herby's getting beatup again. Can anybody show me a thread on this site where Herby does NOT get beatup for something he's said? Should we be laughing? Or feeling sorry for the poor guy? Dang!

Weight lifting is good for one thing and that is bulk, in fact it can actually hurt a BB player, as the bigger the muscles the less flexabilty you have.
BBplayers need flexability , which for you simple minded people the ability to move your arms quicker, and feet quicker, this is where proper conditioning comes in, it is far better to be able to swim a mile or so than to be able to squat 550 lbs or bench 300 lbs,
They have nautilis machines designed to work every muscle in the body, Treadmills to establish durability, there was even a Sport interview with a collage where they showed players running up and down hillside to build up strength in the legs, or where they have no hills there is the steps in the arena that are used to this,
there is more running for BB players than any use of weights, can give them as for strength and conditioning

Ding. Ding. Ding. Here we go again. Round 762. Herby's getting beatup again. Can anybody show me a thread on this site where Herby does NOT get beatup for something he's said? Should we be laughing? Or feeling sorry for the poor guy? Dang!

I laugh at some of the stuff he comes up with. But it is ok, after all if we all agreed on everything this forum would be really boring.

You are 100% correct ssckelley. Herby just seems to luv to ruffle up folks feathers. Gotta give the guy credit. He won't back down and his determination to prove himself 100% right is second to nobody. God Bless you Herby! I admire your determination my friend.

Latest posts