Jake Kelly Considers Iowa Return

Stormin,

If that is the case, then he just needed one semester to be closer to his family? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Now he's ready to be further away from them again? Who really knows. I suppose it doesn't matter. The whole thing is just strange. Confused young man, methinks.

People make mistakes. Jake found out he's happier in Iowa City.

I think if he comes back and rejoins the team we will see a little different attitude in Jake. Now he knows where he belongs.

If Jake, in fact, comes back to Iowa City, let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt and welcome him back with open arms.

Stormin,

If that is the case, then he just needed one semester to be closer to his family? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Now he's ready to be further away from them again? Who really knows. I suppose it doesn't matter. The whole thing is just strange. Confused young man, methinks.
I think you are right. I think Jake is searching for something here. He lost his mom and when that happened he used basketball to heal his wounds. He started to get closer to his dad, so he thought moving back home would help him cope with the loss of his mom. Apparently that isn't working either and he realized that Iowa might be the only "home" he has, and he wants to come home.

Who really knows exactly, but Jake needs help one way or another. He is obviously soul-searching right now and if he thinks his Iowa Basketball family can help him out, I think that's just fine. Lickliter has already shown what type of man he is when it comes to players and their families, I would be surprised if he didn't welcome Jake back.

How he gets back (scholly or not) is another topic, but I think if he needs his Iowa BB family to heal, then by God let him come back to Iowa City.

People make mistakes. Jake found out he's happier in Iowa City.

I think if he comes back and rejoins the team we will see a little different attitude in Jake. Now he knows where he belongs.

If Jake, in fact, comes back to Iowa City, let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt and welcome him back with open arms.
Completely agree.

I'm torn on this. Yes him coming back helps Iowa, but his reason for leaving in the 1st place puzzles me. I don't want to say he didn't have cause to leave, but for him to want to come back makes me leery.

I don't know. I want what is best for Jake but I'd have a hard time taking him back if I were a coach. Unless Lick is going to go to desperate measures since the heat is starting to get turned up?

This makes no sense

I'm in this camp, although a player of his caliber coming back into the fold would clearly be a shot in the arm that the team and Lickliter desperately need.

However, it does seem odd that Jake would come back to Iowa City to play 1/2 a season of basketball.

Fwiw Tom Kakert (HawkeyeReport) just tweeted "Lickliter says he has had no contact with jake kelly". Interesting.

Kelly confirmed to NBC13 in Des Moines that this is just a rumor. No truth to it.

If Jake winds up staying at Indiana State, I would expect for him to say things like this. I know for a fact that he has been strongly considering returning to Iowa, as recently as 4:55 this am.

Also, Jake said the same thing to Iowa reporters about transfer rumors last year, after the last home game.

If Jake winds up staying at Indiana State, I would expect for him to say things like this. I know for a fact that he has been strongly considering returning to Iowa, as recently as 4:55 this am.

Also, Jake said the same thing to Iowa reporters about transfer rumors last year, after the last home game.

Good points, Jon.

Murph and Andy just squashed this. Terrell from WHO called and spoke to Jake directly, and they played the interview on KXNO. Jake said it's all just rumors.

This was fun for a while. The thought of Iowa actually putting a semi-productive product on the floor kept us all on the edge of our chairs for at least one day this year.

I wonder if Indiana State is not wanting to grant him the release? Just a thought

I don't think that's the case at all.

The folks at Indiana State knew over the weekend that Jake was torn, as, according to a very, very good source, he informed them. As of early this morning, the folks at Indiana State were still uncertain as to what Jake was going to do. "Torn" & "Conflicted" were the words that were said to me.

If Jake has made his mind up to stay at Indiana State, then that decision took place today, which is what I said would happen when I first posted on this very early this am, as Iowa starts classes soon. And the last thing he would want is for the folks over there to think he wanted to leave.

I just hope the kid is happy with whatever he chooses.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the case at all.

The folks at Indiana State knew over the weekend that Jake was torn, as, according to a very, very good source, he informed them. As of early this morning, the folks at Indiana State were still uncertain as to what Jake was going to do. "Torn" & "Conflicted" were the words that were said to me.

If Jake has made his mind up to stay at Indiana State, then that decision took place today, which is what I said would happen when I first posted on this very early this am, as Iowa starts classes tomorrow I believe.

I just hope the kid is happy with whatever he chooses.

Classes at Iowa start on Tuesday. How much sense would it make for the first day of the spring semester to be on the Friday before a 3 day weekend?

One thing to be noted for all this..this thread has over 7000 views as of 4:00pm Thursday...one of the most viewed threads in the short history of the new version of HN...there still may be passion for the program out there.

Latest posts