Jake Kelly Considers Iowa Return

Jon, I remember reading that the Indiana State staff thought Jake might be able to meet the 30% requirement needed for a medical redshirt because their games in the preseason NIT only counted as one event. That would give him two years remaining, I think.

this would make a world of difference.

Jon, I remember reading that the Indiana State staff thought Jake might be able to meet the 30% requirement needed for a medical redshirt because their games in the preseason NIT only counted as one event. That would give him two years remaining, I think.
Interesting... he's awfully close. It was about the same time Cole blew his knee out in that year.

no, he will not qualify for a medical redshirt. depending on which way you calculate it, he played in either 33% or 40% of ISU blue's games.

he also cannot play both spring 2011 and 2012 without a hardship waiver. you have 5 years to compete in 4 seasons and he has played in 3 seasons.

That would only make a difference for Jake if he stayed at Indiana State. However, if he transfers back to Iowa, he would have to sit out another season unless he gets yet another waiver. I doubt very seriously that he would get another waiver for the decision to come back to Iowa. It just doesn't fit with anything I've ever heard of the NCAA doing.

In short, barring something unprecedented, there's no way Jake would have two seasons to play at Iowa. If he transfers in right now for the second semester at Iowa, he could either play the second semester of 2010-11, or he could sit out all of next season and play 2011-12.

Last edited:
This is a colossal mistake on Lick's part if he takes Jake back. It's an important scholarship. Jake's biggest impact would have come this season and next. Another poor roster management decision from this group.

no, he will not qualify for a medical redshirt. depending on which way you calculate it, he played in either 33% or 40% of ISU blue's games.

he also cannot play both spring 2011 and 2012 without a hardship waiver. you have 5 years to compete in 4 seasons and he has played in 3 seasons.
Assuming the preseason NIT counts as one event, he played in 9 games. Indiana State could play 30 depending on the MVC tournament. I know it's a long shot but still possible. But with a transfer, he would still add to that five years, so I guess there's no way for two full years and a very slim possibility for one and a half.

Rick Brown is confirming that Jake is considering this:
Jake Kelly back to Iowa? Des Moines Register Staff Blogs | The Des Moines Register
Sources at both Indiana State and Iowa confirm that Jake Kelly is considering a transfer back to Iowa.
Kelly left Iowa after his sophomore year, when he was a third-team all-Big Ten selection. Kelly was granted his eligibility immediately by the NCAA, instead of being forced to sit out a year. Kelly appealed that he transfered to get closer to family living in the Terre Haute, Ind., area, following the death of his mother in an airplane accident the previous summer.
Iowa coach Todd Lickliter wrote a letter to the NCAA on Kelly’s behalf .
Kelly started the first 12 games at Indiana State, averaging 9 points and 3.3 rebounds, but suffered a season-ending knee injury against Southern Illinois in the Missouri Valley Conference opener.
Kelly will have to make a decision soon. He’s already attended second semester classes at Indiana State. Second semester classes at Iowa begin Tuesday.

One thing to add to the scholarship issue--we do have unused rides for the second semester. If Jake transfers in I'd be happy to have him use one of those for a semester. When you start talking about anything beyond that, it's a different question.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why he would only have one half semester left to play? He hasn't used a redshirt yet. Wouldn't this be the equivalent of Tony Freeman's situation? Or is there some special caveat because he was allowed to play this year without sitting out the 1 year?

The way I'm looking at it, it seems that he could sit out next year and have 1 full year left for his senior year. Am I wrong?

He would have the option of doing either: Transfer to Iowa now and play second semester next season and be done, OR sit out all of next season and play all of 2011-12. He could also wait until the end of this academic year to transfer if he wanted to wait to play in 2011-12, but the fact he's considering coming in now suggests he wants to play second semster next season.

None of this is affected by whether he could get a medical RS for this season if he stayed at Indiana State. The rule requiring a player to sit out a year after transfer is a separate rule, and Jake has already had it waived once. I think it's highly unlikely it would be waived again.

This is a colossal mistake on Lick's part if he takes Jake back. It's an important scholarship. Jake's biggest impact would have come this season and next. Another poor roster management decision from this group.

So this is a done deal?
________
SUNNYLEONE

Last edited:
So are the people who honestly believed he was leaving for family reasons still convinced that was the case? Just curious. I never believed it for one minute. Not with Tyler Smith, either.

Would the MVC tournament and post-season tournament count as just one game too? If so I think the most they could play would be 29 games and he played 9.

I posted on another thread that I think we should get rid of Tucker's scholarship regardless of Kelly. Tucker owes us two years and still allowing him on the team would be more than fair imo. But this would allow us to give Kelly a scholarship.

The rule requiring a player to sit out a year after transfer is a separate rule, and Jake has already had it waived once. I think it's highly unlikely it would be waived again.
Correct. It's technically an exemption per the transfer rules, and you're right, I'm pretty sure you only get one exemption (unless it's the case where you came back to your old school without practicing or playing for the school you transferred to).

So are the people who honestly believed he was leaving for family reasons still convinced that was the case? Just curious. I never believed it for one minute. Not with Tyler Smith, either.
Even more now.

People were saying he didn't like Lickliter and that's why he left.
Why would he be coming back if that were the case?

I, for one, was skeptical of the Tyler Smith reason (and, for that matter, how he ended up at Iowa in the first place). Not the same with Kelly, although I realize it doesn't matter a whit what I believe is true in either matter.

Latest posts