Jake Kelly Considers Iowa Return

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I have been able to confirm that Jake Kelly is indeed considering a return to the University of Iowa. I believe that today is the deadline for his decision.

I started to hear about this early this week, but to be honest, I totally discounted it. I will keep you posted when I hear more.

Jake misses Iowa City, and misses the Big Ten, from what I understand. If he came back, he would be eligible to start the second semester of next year.

He played in 12 games this year before getting hurt. That means that a redshirt would be out of the question, meaning he would likely have just one half season left to play.

So it would not be a HUGE impact for the program, but it really sounds like he was not as happy 'back home' as he had hoped, and thinks he will be in Iowa City. He has had a tough go of it the last few years, with his mother dying after his freshman year at Iowa...and this year, suffering a season ending knee injury.

This would also be a 'boost' for Todd Lickliter, in the wake of recent player defections and speculation as to why people wanted to leave...to have someone want to come back, it allows them to put a much better face on that stuff.

If Lickliter would allow a player that abandoned the program to come beck he's a bigger clown than I though.

If Lickliter would allow a player that abandoned the program to come beck he's a bigger clown than I though.

Who knows if Jake even wants to play basketball...the kid thinks he can be happier in Iowa City, potentially. He is searching, that is for certain.

Approves...

brett%20favre%20crying.JPG

If he wants to come back as a student then more power to him but I can't see how his former teammates or coach would want him back. Then again Lick my be willing to try anything to save his job.

If he does choose to come back, I agree with some sentiments that it would not have a huge impact on the program on the court. However, he is familiar with the system, and that could have an impact on the younger players in the program

We'll see what he decides to do. He could decide to stay at Indiana State. But I have no doubt whatsoever that he has been/is considering coming back to Iowa, and folks at Indiana State know this as well. Everyone wants what is best for Jake, or for what Jake thinks is best for him

He didn't abandon anybody, his mother shockingly is 6 feet under dirt, I got ten years on the kid and I don't think I could handle that. It's not like the kid transferred cause a lack of playing time, his mom died in a PLANE CRASH. If you think Lickliter a clown for considering taking a quality person back like Jake Kelly then your the clown. The only thing that matters is if the people he left think he abandoned him, not you, if they do, which I like to think i know Lickliter and the matt gatens of the world would and they won't blame him. If you believe that they will, then your a bigger clown then I THOUGH!

Last edited:
Sounds like Jake could use some counseling. I mean that sincerely. He's been through alot and it sounds like he's still "lost" a bit. Maybe coming back to IC is exactly what the Doctor ordered. Or maybe he'll continue to be lost. Hard to say. I would think he'd be welcomed back considering the circumstances. If it helps him it would be great.

Seriously?? The kids has had a traumatic last couple of years and at an age where he is off on his own trying to become a man. That by itself is tough for anyone. Jake was by all accounts a good young man and teamate. His relationship with TL dates back to highschool when TL recruited him to Butler.

I find this response cold and silly.

What's the point if he can only play 1/2 season. I doubt he would have THAT much of an impact on the team.

Then again...Iowa BB needs all the help it can get.

What's the point if he can only play 1/2 season. I doubt he would have THAT much of an impact on the team.

Then again...Iowa BB needs all the help it can get.

I'd welcome him back in a heart beat. My bet is his first game back CHA would give him a standing O the moment he stepped on the floor.

He certainly wouldn't hurt the program and would probably be a positive to it...At least we would have a definite ballhandler...

Have any of you seen the current state our program is in? Jake would help our program out so much! If anything he would be a great practice player, I mean come on cully has to run circles around lil lick and neari. If kelley does come back, it will at least help out our practice squad a bit!

I was the biggest jake basher for leaving, because I knew he wouldn't be happier back home. I was in a similiar situation when i was in college, I lost a close relative and I thought being closer to the family would help out. Well it actually made things worse, our family was torn and we thought that having all of us live close to one another would work.

Maybe a silly quesiton but would it be possible to sit out next year and have one full season of eligibility left?

Could he redshirt next year, and then have a full year to play?

He is a true junior right now, correct? So, he would have 2 to play 1.

Or, could he get a medical redshirt for this year, and then get to play 1 1/2 seasons?

I really hope this happens. Getting your best player back is never a bad thing.

Could he redshirt next year, and then have a full year to play?

He is a true junior right now, correct? So, he would have 2 to play 1.

Or, could he get a medical redshirt for this year, and then get to play 1 1/2 seasons?

I really hope this happens. Getting your best player back is never a bad thing.

Medical waiver won't happen, as he's played too much this year already.

He theoretically could redshirt, but at that point you are holding up scholarships again. He has to be removed one year from his current team, therefore he'd be eligible next year 2nd semester.

This might be a walk-on opportunity? I'm not quite sure.

Latest posts