Jake Kelly Considers Iowa Return

Hey Spank or Jon. If he came on as a walk-on, would he still have to sit out first semester next year if healthy enough to play?

Hey Spank or Jon. If he came on as a walk-on, would he still have to sit out first semester next year if healthy enough to play?
If Jake Kelly didn't play for Indiana State, he would be eligible to play right away at Iowa. It's a rule exception that states that a player can go back to his school if he/she didn't practice or play for the one he/she transferred to. That's not the case in this matter.

What hurts Jake in this matter is its his second transfer and he used up his previous exemption (hardship waiver).

On scholarship or not, I don't believe Jake can play until 2nd semester if he comes back to Iowa.

NCAA has its rules, as does the Big Ten.

If Lickliter would allow a player that abandoned the program to come beck he's a bigger clown than I though.

I agree. The world is a very black and white place, devoid of subtlety and nuance. Any mitigating circumstances surrounding Jake and his decision to transfer are irrelevant; sports (well, the popular ones, anyway) and undying loyalty to a particular team outweigh all other things - he made a commitment, after all - and stabbing fans in the back by abandoning them is inexcusable in any circumstance no matter what, and cannot be forgiven, overlooked, or justified, ever. I mean, think about all the hats and t-shirts and whatnot the fans may have purchased over the years! And some amoral, unethical yahoo is just going to jump ship because of some silly family "emergency?" Please. Love it or leave it. You're either with Us or against Us.
This cannot, and will not stand, and Lick absolutely cannot allow this to happen. If he does, he's as much of a traitor as Kelly, and his name should be stricken from the public record for eternity.

/sarcasm'd

I'm sorry but you're an idiot if you have a problem with this. The only issue I would see is if there is a scholarship, and if there is can you justify using it on a 1/2 year season. I also don't know how anyone could say he wouldn't make much of an impact? Do you remember then end of last year? He was basically the IOWA offense, and we were NEARLY winning games. He would be a HUGE addition in my opinion.

I'm sorry but you're an idiot if you have a problem with this. The only issue I would see is if there is a scholarship, and if there is can you justify using it on a 1/2 year season. I also don't know how anyone could say he wouldn't make much of an impact? Do you remember then end of last year? He was basically the IOWA offense, and we were NEARLY winning games. He would be a HUGE addition in my opinion.

I don't think the scholarship thing is an issue either. We have scholarships availalbe for next year, if he got one it would come off the books when he graduates so it's not tying one up long term, and there is no 5-8 rule to worry about anymore. It's the equivilent of a JUCO transfer.

This would be huge for Iowa. This kid has a lot of talent even if we get him on the court for one year it would be big.

I dont know what to think, this is basketball, not Days of our lives. If he just wanted a year off couldn't he have taken a year off and then come back? Instead he chose to abandon ship, he goes to another university, figures out that he has to compete for playing time, gets injured, and is now trying to abandon his new team? I feel bad about his Mother of course, but he told everyone that he wasn't going to transfer in the first place, then in a matter of months oops on second thought i'm leaving. Just stick to your choice Jake, thats all I have to say about that.

I dont know what to think, this is basketball, not Days of our lives. If he just wanted a year off couldn't he have taken a year off and then come back? Instead he chose to abandon ship, he goes to another university, figures out that he has to compete for playing time, gets injured, and is now trying to abandon his new team? I feel bad about his Mother of course, but he told everyone that he wasn't going to transfer in the first place, then in a matter of months oops on second thought i'm leaving. Just stick to your choice Jake, thats all I have to say about that.

Clearly.

If he were to do this could he use his redshirt from now until the start of the second semester next year to cover the transfer then be a junior for the second half of next year still? I would assume that the redshirts do not work like this, you probably have to use them at the beginning of a season, not from half of one to half of the other. Given his situation I would bet the majority of Hawk fans would welcome him back with wide open arms. He would not be our saving grace next year, but would give me reason to belive that we could win at least a handful of big ten games with all the others that will be back.

The other thing to consider is his knee.

Maybe he thinks the U of I can help him recover quicker/better.

Who knows if he'll be able to play BB again after his injury.

I think the knee might play a lot into it as well.

Welcome Back Jake. Maybe Jake joining the team second semester next year gets us into the NIT. Sorry, I'd like to say he'd get us into the Big Dance but I just can't even try to sell that one.

The other thing to consider is his knee.

Maybe he thinks the U of I can help him recover quicker/better.

Who knows if he'll be able to play BB again after his injury.

I think the knee might play a lot into it as well.

Thats kind of why I suggested in another post that he should consider taking all of next year off and play a full season in a few years. I've gone through two ACL's myself and that whole process is a *****. With the advances in the reconstruction procedure the knee is strucurally sound in just 6 mos. However it takes 18-24 mos to get full strenght/explosiveness back (if it comes back at all). As an example look at Cole.

Thats kind of why I suggested in another post that he should consider taking all of next year off and play a full season in a few years. I've gone through two ACL's myself and that whole process is a *****. With the advances in the reconstruction procedure the knee is strucurally sound in just 6 mos. However it takes 18-24 mos to get full strenght/explosiveness back (if it comes back at all). As an example look at Cole.
Good points.

Bucketochicken I do feel bad about his losing a parent. I remember when it happened I thought he should take some time away to mourn. It definitely would be an awful thing for anyone to deal with. I just think when you make a decision you should stick to it.

So if Jake comes back and nobody transfers how much better is the basketball team going to be? I know we are going to be deeper than any other team in the Lickliter era.

As other have said I don't know what impact he will have on the floor. I do know it will go leaps and bounds to address the thought that "players don't like playing for lick".

Jake has been very unhappy at Indiana St for a while and he misses his girlfriend. He also wants to rehab his knee with John Streif. My mom told me about this about three weeks ago but swore me to secrecy. This is it! Go Hawks!

Bucketochicken I do feel bad about his losing a parent. I remember when it happened I thought he should take some time away to mourn. It definitely would be an awful thing for anyone to deal with. I just think when you make a decision you should stick to it.

Ok, I agree to an extent, but let's examine the decision we're talking about here.

It's f*cking basketball, man. A game. He didn't enlist, he didn't agree to adopt a refugee child, he didn't decide to donate a kidney or whatever other actually-important, real-life decision one could make.

It's just basketball. That's all. He had some horrible sh*t happen that completely turned his world upside down, and is apparently having some trouble figuring things out. Lay off.

Latest posts