ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

Four and five star recruits are four and five star recruits, whether they come from high school, juco, or transfer in. It would just be nice if fran got in the conversation with such caliber of player every now and then. Believe me, if he could get a commitment from a guy averaging 15 points a game and another Division I school, he would take it in a heartbeat and we would be thrilled. I know we were thrilled with the juco commit who had no major offers but put up good numbers and you can go.

If only ISU were recruiting 4 and 5 * transfers right now. The last one they got was averaging about 1 PPG at Arkansas......another one they are looking at is NAIA D2 player (Briar Cliff level BB), so probably just a step down from IA HS 4A.

Oh and it now looks like they are in on career backup Max Bleifeldt. He avg. 1.2 PPG, then .08 PPG, and last year when the whole team was injured he got career high 5.1 PPG. LOLOLOLOL

If only ISU were recruiting 4 and 5 * transfers right now. The last one they got was averaging about 1 PPG at Arkansas......another one they are looking at is NAIA D2 player (Briar Cliff level BB), so probably just a step down from IA HS 4A.

Oh and it now looks like they are in on career backup Max Bleifeldt. He avg. 1.2 PPG, then .08 PPG, and last year when the whole team was injured he got career high 5.1 PPG. LOLOLOLOL

I don't get you, Dean. I always kind of liked you on CF, you seemed very reasonable. You're like a totally different person on this board. Since you seem to be following ISU recruiting, I'm sure you know we also have Tyler Harris from Providence visiting this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56368/tyler-harris

Also, I've yet to see any proof whatsoever that Burnett is being recruited. The guy is from Flint just like Monte. Not saying we're not looking at him but he could just be visiting a friend. Regarding Bleifeldt, I'm okay with them taking a look at him. We definitely need some frontcourt help next year, and while not our first option, he could provide a breather for McKay or Niang.

There is zero evidence ISU is recruiting Burnett. Other than people speculating based on a picture tweeted out by Morris.

I don't get you, Dean. I always kind of liked you on CF, you seemed very reasonable. You're like a totally different person on this board. Since you seem to be following ISU recruiting, I'm sure you know we also have Tyler Harris from Providence visiting this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56368/tyler-harris

Also, I've yet to see any proof whatsoever that Burnett is being recruited. The guy is from Flint just like Monte. Not saying we're not looking at him but he could just be visiting a friend. Regarding Bleifeldt, I'm okay with them taking a look at him. We definitely need some frontcourt help next year, and while not our first option, he could provide a breather for McKay or Niang.

I was a guest in another house over on CycloneFanatic, so I behaved accordingly....I was pretty reasonable, didn't flame, and just defended the Hawks.....still got me banned, as that is unacceptable over there.

Some of what I say is just obvious over the top stuff, the rest just makes fun of the delusional fan base. I know ForeverIowan still lurks around here, and a guy can't just give up trolling ISU fans here cold turkey. ;)

Bryce said I was crazy for saying Fred's recruiting would pizz me off as a ISU fan. I still stand behind that statement. He should have switched over to recruiting a more HS kids years ago (and sprinkle in selective GOOD transfers) as Fred did his first 2 years of recruiting (Niang, Long class, Morris Thomas class). It served him will with Ejim, Niang, Long, Morris, so I'm not sure why the all out recruitment of only transfer after the Morris/Thomas class. The transfer market has become UBBER competitive, and ISU will no longer get the pick of the litter (see this year). My guess is Fred is going to dive back into the HS market big time in '16 as even he has to see that the tide has turned on the transfer front. That doesn't change the fact that he missed the boat with HS kids in '14 and '15

I was a guest in another house over on CycloneFanatic, so I behaved accordingly....I was pretty reasonable, didn't flame, and just defended the Hawks.....still got me banned, as that is unacceptable over there.

Some of what I say is just obvious over the top stuff, the rest just makes fun of the delusional fan base. I know ForeverIowan still lurks around here, and a guy can't just give up trolling ISU fans here cold turkey. ;)

Bryce said I was crazy for saying Fred's recruiting would pizz me off as a ISU fan. I still stand behind that statement. He should have switched over to recruiting a more HS kids years ago (and sprinkle in selective GOOD transfers) as Fred did his first 2 years of recruiting (Niang, Long class, Morris Thomas class). It served him will with Ejim, Niang, Long, Morris, so I'm not sure why the all out recruitment of only transfer after the Morris/Thomas class. The transfer market has become UBBER competitive, and ISU will no longer get the pick of the litter (see this year). My guess is Fred is going to dive back into the HS market big time in '16 as even he has to see that the tide has turned on the transfer front. That doesn't change the fact that he missed the boat with HS kids in '14 and '15

Hah, that's a fair point. I agree on the transfer market; it is a viable source, but it isn't what it once was. I believe with Abdelmassih leaving and Otzelberger coming back that there will be a shift in philosophy, and that HS kids will become more of a priority. I have been a bit nervous with the open scholarships available this year and next, but we'll see what happens.

ISU didn't stop recruiting high school kids. They basically just didn't recruit any but top 50 kids... And didn't get any of them.

In hindsight it was a mistake. They are already recruiting and offering a lot more regional fringe top 100 guys.

2016 might be a down year but I expect it to be at least an NCAA tourney team, because I expect them to figure something out with the frontcourt.

I think Natty Ice Thomas being such a gigantic bust made him rethink recruiting high school kids.
Fast Freddie is using the NBA approach to recruiting. The NBA wants to see you play a year of college ball before they draft you....so does Freddie. It's a lot less risk to do it this way and as Dean noted, the market is getting tougher.
As for Matt Thomas, I'm not sure what people were looking at in his high school videos. He looked similar to Brady Ellingson, IMO. A project.

ISU didn't stop recruiting high school kids. They basically just didn't recruit any but top 50 kids... And didn't get any of them.

In hindsight it was a mistake. They are already recruiting and offering a lot more regional fringe top 100 guys.

2016 might be a down year but I expect it to be at least an NCAA tourney team, because I expect them to figure something out with the frontcourt.

ISU in every practical sense absolutely stopped recruiting HS kids. When you only target one top 15 kid a year, ala Calipari, that is not recruiting. LOL if Hoiberg really thought he and ISU is at a level to do this.

ISU will go back to a more standard recruiting approach in '16 as you said they are already offering kids they actually have a chance at signing. It was a stupid short sighted mistake getting away from this for 2 years. You can still love Hoiberg, but call a mistake a mistake, and this one was a freaking stupid azz mistake. Especially when you consider that Da Mayor only plays 7 or 8 guys. You should absolutely have 4 HS kids on the bench getting better and improving in practice every day.

But you guys all changed your avatars to pictures of him and twitter bombed them, how could they not want to come there?

Good high school kids don't want to be practice fodder. That's why I still want 2 or more transfers sitting out each year.

Good high school kids don't want to be practice fodder. That's why I still want 2 or more transfers sitting out each year.

Who said they HAVE to be practice fodder? Some will be like Niang and Morris and play immediately, some like Thomas and play spot roles and some like Long that sit the first year and contribute later, and some like Custer and SDW (that wash out).

If you always have 2 or more transfers sitting out, that means ever year you are giving two roster spot to transfer (so 8 or more kids are transfers). I don't get it. What in the world makes ISU fan think that the Babb kid is gonna be better than any other top 150 kid coming out of HS? Guy couldn't crack the lineup at Arkansas, why do Clown fans think he is gonna "blossom" under Da Mayer, yet a top 100 kid like Custer, or top 50 player Natty Ice doesn't blossom under Fred? Lets say ISU get that Providence kid for a year, big freaking deal. I'd rather sign the next Niang, Morris, Long with the scholarship than a 1 year guy who is gonna be a backup.

Who said they HAVE to be practice fodder? Some will be like Niang and Morris and play immediately, some like Thomas and play spot roles and some like Long that sit the first year and contribute later, and some like Custer and SDW (that wash out).

If you always have 2 or more transfers sitting out, that means ever year you are giving two roster spot to transfer (so 8 or more kids are transfers). I don't get it. What in the world makes ISU fan think that the Babb kid is gonna be better than any other top 150 kid coming out of HS? Guy couldn't crack the lineup at Arkansas, why do Clown fans think he is gonna "blossom" under Da Mayer, yet a top 100 kid like Custer, or top 50 player Natty Ice doesn't blossom under Fred? Lets say ISU get that Providence kid for a year, big freaking deal. I'd rather sign the next Niang, Morris, Long with the scholarship than a 1 year guy who is gonna be a backup.

Fred wants to bring in transfers now because he will be coaching in the NBA in a few years. I wouldn't be shocked if he is an NBA coach in two years since their "final 4 talent" will be leaving.

I hear ISU has a new target, big guy from Pitt, averaged 1.5 ppg and almost 2 whole boards a game, I'll allow Chris Williams to hype him up

Uchebo only averaged 6.2 minutes per game, collecting 1.5 points and 1.9 rebounds along the way. He apparently has knee problems but at 245-pounds, could fill space for the Cyclones next season.

ISU is really tearing up the transfer scene this offseason! If they get Biefeldt from Michigan too, that's almost 5 ppg total, game changers.

Niang and Morris are going to be two of the best players ever at isu. That's pretty tough to just go out and get. Custer wasn't good. Matt can't be trusted.

Need 1 more guy to be a backup for next year. 1 year guy doesn't impact 2016 and will be better than anything else isu could get this late.

I think babb will be a career backup who will be a team guy and you need those guys too.

This is a pretty tough recruiting year. I think there are a lot of reasons for it, some good, some bad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For adapted short story in a football stadium.....the Oscar goes to.....

oscar_statue1.jpg

Latest posts