Iowa vs UMKC Game Thread

Since many of you are so bent on making one game definitive judgements, I'll play along. .Let me offer a couple of my own.

7-25 three point shooting is not going to cut it. UMKC did the equivalent of putting eight men in the box by doubling Cook in the post. We tried to be rec league chuckers with minimal success outside of Wiescamp. Moss was MIA. Again.

Which leads to; .Dailey should be starting ahead of him. He seems like the one player on the team capable of breaking out, has talked confidently in the preseason, and has done nothing in the exibition game or the season opener to discourage what he has been saying.

Kind of puts a damper on Isaiah's NBA plans, doesn't it?

And those who have been asking for more three pointers because "that's the way basketball is headed." Not a good look when you shoot 28%.

Last edited:
Since many of you are so bent on making one game definitive judgements, let me offer a couple of my own.

7-25 three point shooting is not going to cut it. UMKC did the equivalent of putting eight men in the box by doubling Cook in the post. We tried to be rec league chuckers with minimal success outside of Wiescamp. Moss was MIA. Again.

Which leads to; .Dailey should be starting ahead of him. He seems like the one player on the team capable of breaking out, has talk confidently in the preseason, and has done nothing I the exibition game or the season opener to discourage what he has been saying.

And those who have been asking for more pointers because "that's the way basketball is headed." Not a good look when you shoot 28%.

Moss was definitely MIA again last night, very disappointing to see.

I know you are mocking the 1 game judgements so this isn't directed at you rather just for perspective for people. Iowa has shot 37+% from deep the last 3 years, they will most like end up close to that again. :)

We didn't cover by 9 points and they made stupid slop shots at the end of both halfs for 5 points. I not really that big of a deal. Our defense did still look bad tho and that is a huge deal.

Indeed. Gotta love how some equate opponents' terrible shot-selection / shooting to "good Hawkeye D".:rolleyes:

Other big deals ...
25 of 47 shots from 3!! Please, LORD, not again.
As Northside implied ... It's one thing to transition the game toward up-tempo / guard-oriented for the sake of entertainment value (Personally, not a huge fan nor believer and will continue to protest against such a fallacious mantra.) it's another thing to look like a pack of rabbits in a headlight.:confused::eek:
If you're gonna try to be cool, better be capable of being cool. Except for JoVice - Hawks are DEFINITELY NOT cool.

Not to mention (even tho Fran, SURPRISINGLY did) size advantage, anyone? This collection of low-IQ chuckers with minimal comprehension of mismatches, ball-movement and inside-out team basketball (INCLUDES most on the coaching staff) is simply mind-boggling!! :eek::mad:

Garza played 17 mins and Kriener (16) / Pemsl (14) played 30?! Kriener was solid (against UMKC) but Pemsl has ZERO business being on the floor, PERIOD! This is coming from someone who was on his wagon when he showed promise as a freshman. He was a horrible liability as a Soph and is picking down right where he left off.
Hopefully, this is completely due to Garza on the mend and he will eventually get 15-17 of those 30 minutes. If not, and Fran still divvies up the minutes ... SHAME on him ...

Speaking of ... Sorry to hear FrannyMac continues with the discombobulated substitutions and incoherent / impotent line-ups. That stupid f-ing strategy oughta be good for 6-8 winnable losses.

Hey, let's not judge based on 1, basically meaningless non-con game, where you experiment with various personnel groups and see how they execute the sets, all with the intent of reducing the roster and figuring out what strategy is the best fit. Yeah, I'm not.

If it makes Y'all feel better, Ellingson didn't do anything for Drake tonight.

11-8-2018-8-41-20-PM.jpg

Just confirms for some that Fran can't recruit.

Indeed. Gotta love how some equate opponents' terrible shot-selection / shooting to "good Hawkeye D".:rolleyes:

Other big deals ...
25 of 47 shots from 3!! Please, LORD, not again.
As Northside implied ... It's one thing to transition the game toward up-tempo / guard-oriented for the sake of entertainment value (Personally, not a huge fan nor believer and will continue to protest against such a fallacious mantra.) it's another thing to look like a pack of rabbits in a headlight.:confused::eek:
If you're gonna try to be cool, better be capable of being cool. Except for JoVice - Hawks are DEFINITELY NOT cool.

Not to mention (even tho Fran, SURPRISINGLY did) size advantage, anyone? This collection of low-IQ chuckers with minimal comprehension of mismatches, ball-movement and inside-out team basketball (INCLUDES most on the coaching staff) is simply mind-boggling!! :eek::mad:

Garza played 17 mins and Kriener (16) / Pemsl (14) played 30?! Kriener was solid (against UMKC) but Pemsl has ZERO business being on the floor, PERIOD! This is coming from someone who was on his wagon when he showed promise as a freshman. He was a horrible liability as a Soph and is picking down right where he left off.
Hopefully, this is completely due to Garza on the mend and he will eventually get 15-17 of those 30 minutes. If not, and Fran still divvies up the minutes ... SHAME on him ...

Speaking of ... Sorry to hear FrannyMac continues with the discombobulated substitutions and incoherent / impotent line-ups. That stupid f-ing strategy oughta be good for 6-8 winnable losses.

Hey, let's not judge based on 1, basically meaningless non-con game, where you experiment with various personnel groups and see how they execute the sets, all with the intent of reducing the roster and figuring out what strategy is the best fit. Yeah, I'm not.

Due to the number of players that plays, Fran always tinkers with the line-ups and substitutions early in the year so the first game doesn't concern me that much as he wants to see how players react in a game situation, but, last year this went on way too long into the season and, as you point out, Iowa gave up a couple winnable games against P5 teams. Two years ago it cost them an NCAA tourney bid (by one solid game).

So, I hope he can streamline it sooner this year and figure out a starting line-up and his sub pattern in the next couple weeks. There is something to be said about having a consistent substitution pattern when players know who is coming in and they are used to playing with each other. Having this potpourri of players in and out randomly does not work for a college team.

Just confirms for some that Fran can't recruit.

This doesn't prove that. Some guys just aren't BIG or P5 caliber. Every coach misses on one here and there. It's difficult to see how a player responds in college when all players are formidable or even better.

My concern is not Fran's recruiting, it's the coaching at this point. Fran has highly rated players, well, enough of them. Cook, Garza, Moss, Wieskamp, etc. etc..

It's the coaching that needs to be proven this year.

This doesn't prove that. Some guys just aren't BIG or P5 caliber. Every coach misses on one here and there. It's difficult to see how a player responds in college when all players are formidable or even better.

My concern is not Fran's recruiting, it's the coaching at this point. Fran has highly rated players, well, enough of them. Cook, Garza, Moss, Wieskamp, etc. etc..

It's the coaching that needs to be proven this year.
I've mentioned this before, from people who's dog is in another fight.

My Badger friends, to a person, don't think that Fran can coach his way out a paper bag.

You live really close to Carver and won't go see another game? Pfffttttt It's just the first game. My goodness. Did you sit on your hands? Did you sing the Iowa Fight Song? Did you even participate period? Wish I lived close to Carver and Kinnick. I go to all the women's games and everybody sings, claps, yells and get pretty vocal. It is what you make it. If you don't like it by all means stay home and watch but there's nothing like being at the game. IMO.

I stood up and cheered whenever a Hawkeye made a good play: Wieskamp's 3s in the first half, his rebound and slam in the 2nd half, Cook made a great defensive stop in the second half - those are three times I remember off-hand. I think I sang the Fight Song the first time the band played.

It's strictly a value question: would I pay $36 for a couple of tickets to watch a team that had a hard time beating a bottom feeder in the Western Athletic Conference by 10+ points? The answer is - Yes, but just once. Just like I wouldn't pay $36 to watch St. Ambrose play Buena Vista. My guess is there are a lot of fans that feel the same way. They love the team, would like them to do well, but don't want to make a major monetary investment given the quality of play.

I stood up and cheered whenever a Hawkeye made a good play: Wieskamp's 3s in the first half, his rebound and slam in the 2nd half, Cook made a great defensive stop in the second half - those are three times I remember off-hand. I think I sang the Fight Song the first time the band played.

It's strictly a value question: would I pay $36 for a couple of tickets to watch a team that had a hard time beating a bottom feeder in the Western Athletic Conference by 10+ points? The answer is - Yes, but just once. Just like I wouldn't pay $36 to watch St. Ambrose play Buena Vista. My guess is there are a lot of fans that feel the same way. They love the team, would like them to do well, but don't want to make a major monetary investment given the quality of play.
As nice a play as that was by JW, he shouldn't have crashed the board from that position on the floor. He should have got his butt back. Not surprising that basic offensive rebounding/defensive transition technique isn't taught by this coaching staff. Not surprising at all.

Since many of you are so bent on making one game definitive judgements, I'll play along. .Let me offer a couple of my own.

Which leads to; .Dailey should be starting ahead of him. He seems like the one player on the team capable of breaking out, has talked confidently in the preseason, and has done nothing in the exibition game or the season opener to discourage what he has been saying.

And those who have been asking for more three pointers because "that's the way basketball is headed." Not a good look when you shoot 28%.
I'm convinced Maishe Dailey is another Dom Uhl. Great length and good athleticism. Just isn't effectively aggressive. A kid as long and athletic as Dailey should probably get 3 or 4 offensive rebs a game. He doesn't get any. 6'7 and he's content to float around the perimeter. No killer instinct in him.

Understood it's all about the money. I'm retired so I guess I have a different look at it. I really don't blame you though. I'm just a diehard sports fan and I don't live close to any pro teams and for now I'm relegated to just being able to go to the women's games because of circumstances or I'd go to a lot other games also. 36 is a lot of money and you need to do what you need to do. Thanks for cheering and singing the Fight Song! People that think they are to good or get embarrassed to cheer baffle me. Why do they come just to sit like a bump on a log?

I'm convinced Maishe Dailey is another Dom Uhl. Great length and good athleticism. Just isn't effectively aggressive. A kid as long and athletic as Dailey should probably get 3 or 4 offensive rebs a game. He doesn't get any. 6'7 and he's content to float around the perimeter. No killer instinct in him.
You might be correct. I'd like to to see him get more minutes than Moss. I'd love too see him be another Bill Jones. That kid had heart. He's been discussed before. Dailey isnt going to be another Bill Jones now or in any universe.

Latest posts