Iowa vs UMKC Game Thread

As nice a play as that was by JW, he shouldn't have crashed the board from that position on the floor. He should have got his butt back. Not surprising that basic offensive rebounding/defensive transition technique isn't taught by this coaching staff. Not surprising at all.

Anyone who has seen Joe play knows he should crash the boards every time. Getting back can be someone else's job.

Hey just keep throwing this insightful junior high coach wisdom at us. We are all really impressed.
Even a JR high school coach understands free throw line extended. Every coach but you and Fran....that is. When is your Championship Defense DVD coming out? Lol.

Even a JR high school coach understands free throw line extended. Every coach but you and Fran....that is. When is your Championship Defense DVD coming out? Lol.

On this particular play, there are 2 other Hawks that are back (Moss and Connor, I believe).

On this particular play, there are 2 other Hawks that are back (Moss and Connor, I believe).

That's just lightning being lightning. Trying to sound smart while using junior high knowledge, because that's the extent of his.

Moss got back. Connor floated. JW was above Connor when he decided to crash the glass. There are several reasons why you don't do what he did. It worked out this time but that's no reason to continue to due the wrong thing. More often than not, it's going to lead to a foul or getting beat on an outlet pass. And I say this as a HUGE fan of offensive rebounding. These aren't coaching theories that I invented.
Go ahead and trust the basketball acumen of the likes of PCHawk, if you wish. Let me know how that works out.

That's just lightning being lightning. Trying to sound smart while using junior high knowledge, because that's the extent of his.
Says the guy with the least amount of basketball knowledge on the planet. You're too stupid to even begin to understand how much you don't know about basketball. I've tried to teach you....but, it's useless.
You're just mad because I probably cut you or one of your kids from a tryout. Should have spent more time learning the game. Maybe you'd be playing or coaching somewhere.

Moss got back. Connor floated. JW was above Connor when he decided to crash the glass. There are several reasons why you don't do what he did. It worked out this time but that's no reason to continue to due the wrong thing. More often than not, it's going to lead to a foul or getting beat on an outlet pass. And I say this as a HUGE fan of offensive rebounding. These aren't coaching theories that I invented.
Go ahead and trust the basketball acumen of the likes of PCHawk, if you wish. Let me know how that works out.

So are you saying Connor did the right thing by floating or that all 3 should have gotten back? I'll stick to my theory that Joe being the guy responsible for getting back on defense is a huge waste of his talent. There is a reason what he did worked. It's because he's way more talented than the little kids you coach. Once he saw the open lane, there were two options. Garza was going to make his shot or Joe was going to dunk the miss. Your junior high principals dont pertain to this play. Good try tho.

It all depends on your game plan for each particular night. If you aren’t worried about getting beat in transition you will often send three guys to the boards. I would think a coach would know that.

Without knowing what was said in the locker room it’s hard to say whether that is the wrong play by Weiskamp.

At least they are playing some D. They actually looked good playing a 1 2 2 defense when Fran substituted a full line shift. They had Connor playing the 1 and Daily on the side at the middle 2. Perhaps Daily would be better at the one.....

For a brief period that formation worked as far as I could see.....

Baby Steps, Lads

:cool:

So are you saying Connor did the right thing by floating or that all 3 should have gotten back? I'll stick to my theory that Joe being the guy responsible for getting back on defense is a huge waste of his talent. There is a reason what he did worked. It's because he's way more talented than the little kids you coach. Once he saw the open lane, there were two options. Garza was going to make his shot or Joe was going to dunk the miss. Your junior high principals dont pertain to this play. Good try tho.

Don't be mad because your kid's game is mud and I had to cut him. It wasn't personal. I don't blame him for being garbage when his dad is clueless about the game. If you crap out any more turds, pay the money to get them good "JR high" coaches. maybe they'll make the team next time.

It all depends on your game plan for each particular night. If you aren’t worried about getting beat in transition you will often send three guys to the boards. I would think a coach would know that.

Without knowing what was said in the locker room it’s hard to say whether that is the wrong play by Weiskamp.
Free throw line extended.

Don't be mad because your kid's game is mud and I had to cut him. It wasn't personal. I don't blame him for being garbage when his dad is clueless about the game. If you crap out any more turds, pay the money to get them good "JR high" coaches. maybe they'll make the team next time.

So you do teach 4 year olds. At least now we know for sure.

Your last sentence is what matters. If an athlete like Wieskamp has a clear path down the lane for a putback dunk, he damn well better take it. I would guess Fran has told him that. It's so funny how lightning has his "free throw line extended" knowledge but he has no idea there are exceptions to every rule. Wieskamp needs to pass up on the easiest 2 points he's had all year just to abide by a rule of thumb.

So you do teach 4 year olds. At least now we know for sure.
yes. We know that your kid's game is mud, you don't know shit and didn't teach him anything and you're going to quit being cheap and pay for his coaching lessons. Did I miss anything?

yes. We know that your kid's game is mud, you don't know shit and didn't teach him anything and you're going to quit being cheap and pay for his coaching lessons. Did I miss anything?

I haven't even taught him how to wipe his own ass yet. I'll pay you to teach him.

As nice a play as that was by JW, he shouldn't have crashed the board from that position on the floor. He should have got his butt back. Not surprising that basic offensive rebounding/defensive transition technique isn't taught by this coaching staff. Not surprising at all.
Getting back was occasionally an issue even with Tom Davis teams in their halcyon days. There philosophy was to attack the offensive glass. Sometimes the other team get an uncontested run out. Once again, our overall talent and athleticism made up for the occasional malaise.

One of the best coaches I saw at getting back on defense was Tim Floyd. Tony Bennet's teams are pretty good at it too.

Joe was probably used to getting away with this on a routine basis in high school. This would be a teachable moment for him to learn to pick his spots. Before he does give up a runout.

Last edited:
Getting back was occasionally an issue even with Tom Davis teams in their halcyon days. There philosophy was to attack the offensive glass. Sometimes the other team get an uncontested run out. Once again, our overall talent and athleticism made up for the occasional malaise.

One of the best coaches I saw at getting back on defense was Tim Floyd. Tony Bennet's teams are pretty good at it too.

Joe was probably used to getting away with this on a routine basis in high school. This would be a teachable moment for him to learn to pick his spots. Before he does give up a runout.
I'm sure he did get away with it in high school. I'm not sure why pointing out the mistake was such a hot button for PCHawk. Dude's got control issues.

Latest posts