Iowa vs UMKC Game Thread

We looked bad. Period. We failed to cover and we looked bad. I love that I’m the bad guy for stating facts. There have been several dozen threads this offseason about what expectations are this year. We’re not making the tournament period. We looked mediocre against a very low level opponent. We are going to have single digit conference wins again. Just because I can see that now without waiting until we actually go under .500 doesn’t make me a bad person.

I love getting called out by Pollyannias who constantly move the goalpost. Give me your prediction now if your so keen to call me out. How many conference games do we win. Careful predict less than a tournament birth and apparently your not a fan.
We did look bad. And lots of posters have predicted NIT, or something short of NCAA.

I just didn't realize that the first game was an absolute indicator of a team's season. Or that it was impossible for teams to improve.

Before I predict single digit conference wins I need to see a couple close games. Because close games often separate the twelve win conference teams from the eight win conference teams.

I’ll watch all of the games too, just like the last 8 years and the last 20 of football because I’m an alum and a fan. I’m willing to pay $30 a month for 2 months for 3 “preseason” games spread out because BTN+ sucks and drive 10 hours round trip to watch the hawks 4-5 times a year. Don’t confuse a realistic assessment and disappointment with not being a fan.

I didn't.

I live really close to Carver and bought tickets. Other than Wieskamp in the 1st half, the Hawkeyes didn't look like a B1G caliber team. When you are in the arena, you can see a lot more than you can see on TV. Away from the ball, there were many times the Kangaroos had wide open guys on the perimeter. Plus, many times the Kangaroos fed to open men in the lane. We could only score 77 because the KANGAROOS defense was quicker than we were. We had only 15 assists and 16 TOs - four by JBo - against the KANGAROOS! Frankly they look worse than last year.

I'm still a fan and will watch them on TV and hope for the best. But right now the show is worth about $5 a ticket. They still run all of their hype stuff: spotlights, AC/DC walk in the arena, blah, blah, blah. It looks really silly when only about 3,000 folks are in the stands and nobody is getting into it. The highlights were: a) the introduction of a couple of vets and b) a gymnast doing a walking handstand across the court. Last game I am going to this year.

If it makes Y'all feel better, Ellingson didn't do anything for Drake tonight.

11-8-2018-8-41-20-PM.jpg

Well played tk.

I’m not throwing a fit. Ive pad $30 to watch two games on Flo. We looked OK in a scrimmage and then looked pretty bad (in the sense that it looks a lot like last year) in a real game. It also sounds like we got badly beat in a closed practice against a middling SEC team. People are acting like I’m making insane predictions. What I’m predicting is bottom 4 in conference and no NCAA tourney. Eg. basically what we did last year. Not insane.

The real question is why are you ready to burn the house down during the first 10 minutes of the 1st game? If we suck, then we suck. You gonna be happier about it if you were the first person to state it so adamantly? It serves the same purpose to just say that you didn't like how we looked and you felt the season could be a poor one.

You honestly don't understand that noone wants to hear that bottom dweller shit this early? You don't think it is a fear stuck in the back of all of our minds? If your so sure of our fate this season then have some damned decorum and wait until it actually plays out to have your party.

I live really close to Carver and bought tickets. Other than Wieskamp in the 1st half, the Hawkeyes didn't look like a B1G caliber team. When you are in the arena, you can see a lot more than you can see on TV. Away from the ball, there were many times the Kangaroos had wide open guys on the perimeter. Plus, many times the Kangaroos fed to open men in the lane. We could only score 77 because the KANGAROOS defense was quicker than we were. We had only 15 assists and 16 TOs - four by JBo - against the KANGAROOS! Frankly they look worse than last year.

I'm still a fan and will watch them on TV and hope for the best. But right now the show is worth about $5 a ticket. They still run all of their hype stuff: spotlights, AC/DC walk in the arena, blah, blah, blah. It looks really silly when only about 3,000 folks are in the stands and nobody is getting into it. The highlights were: a) the introduction of a couple of vets and b) a gymnast doing a walking handstand across the court. Last game I am going to this year.
ZOMG. Why are you freaking out!!!!!

The real question is why are you ready to burn the house down during the first 10 minutes of the 1st game? If we suck, then we suck. You gonna be happier about it if you were the first person to state it so adamantly? It serves the same purpose to just say that you didn't like how we looked and you felt the season could be a poor one.

You honestly don't understand that noone wants to hear that bottom dweller shit this early? You don't think it is a fear stuck in the back of all of our minds? If your so sure of our fate this season then have some damned decorum and wait until it actually plays out to have your party.
Why? It’s an Internet forum that no one cares about. I’m tired of the level of acceptance of mediocrity that generally acompanies Iowa sports so I’m callling it out. If I’m wrong, roast me. But calling me out for being right early is fucking dumb as hell. You’re salty because I’m ruining your ability to pretend we don’t suck for 1/3 of the season? Sorry.

Dude btn2go is ten bucks. I got it for November and December ill just miss out on one game.

Dude. That highlight video is like 10-8 highlights in favor of UMKC and at one point is 8-4 in their favor.

Why? It’s an Internet forum that no one cares about. I’m tired of the level of acceptance of mediocrity that generally acompanies Iowa sports so I’m callling it out. If I’m wrong, roast me. But calling me out for being right early is fucking dumb as hell. You’re salty because I’m ruining your ability to pretend we don’t suck for 1/3 of the season? Sorry.
calling out the acceptance of mediocrity is funny to me? Because you bitch a lot you don't "accept" it? Because I watch every game, but tickets, t-shirts and concessions regardless or our record, I "accept" it? Hilarious. Boycott the Hawks everyone...it's the only way to have our demands met.

calling out the acceptance of mediocrity is funny to me? Because you bitch a lot you don't "accept" it? Because I watch every game, but tickets, t-shirts and concessions regardless or our record, I "accept" it? Hilarious. Boycott the Hawks everyone...it's the only way to have our demands met.

giphy.gif

I’ll watch all of the games too, just like the last 8 years and the last 20 of football because I’m an alum and a fan. I’m willing to pay $30 a month for 2 months for 3 “preseason” games spread out because BTN+ sucks and drive 10 hours round trip to watch the hawks 4-5 times a year. Don’t confuse a realistic assessment and disappointment with not being a fan.
Just the last 20 years? Wow! I guess I've been watching Hawkeye sports a lot longer than you've been alive.

You live really close to Carver and won't go see another game? Pfffttttt It's just the first game. My goodness. Did you sit on your hands? Did you sing the Iowa Fight Song? Did you even participate period? Wish I lived close to Carver and Kinnick. I go to all the women's games and everybody sings, claps, yells and get pretty vocal. It is what you make it. If you don't like it by all means stay home and watch but there's nothing like being at the game. IMO.

Latest posts