Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

I really don't think you would have to go to all those games. Nobody else is there to notice that you are not there.

No, I think he has to go to them all. He is always out on the court or field shaking someone's hand or something. And then there's this: One more chance to see those Gator Bowl winners | Evanston Now

Standing in front of any crowd and acting like the Gator Bowl is some giant win would be impossible for anyone who loves sports to do. Give me Walmart greeter.

While I cant exactly argue with much of what Jon said, I do think that people arent considering what losing our top tackle, and another guy did to us on the line. Should we be able to just plug in another guy by now? Sorta, but we cant. FACT. I dont remember being blowing out twice in one season. Last blow out I remember was ASU in 03? or was it 04? Anyway. While I am perplexed at the play of JVB, I think our QB play can only get better, and I know Im not the only one by a long shot. I firmly believe that if we hadnt lost those 2 guys on the line we win 2-3 more games. With better QB play I think we win 3-4 more games. I dont think the blow outs would have been. Still probably a loss, but not a blow out. I feel we win 7-9 games next year. While NW has been on the up swing, I think they are at their top, and will be swing back. Remember, Purdue was picked to win the division this year by many.

While I am perplexed at the play of JVB, I think our QB play can only get better, and I know Im not the only one by a long shot.

Uh, oh, you said "He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned's" name. KOK4Prez is not going to be happy. No 2013 Proles choice awards for you!!

ILHawk's so dumb that he doesn't understand why he's intolerable.

I understand our relationship Mr.Wayne:
images

Early polls have 5 B1G teams in the top 25 for 2013 (yes we can argue those polls aren't worth anything and in fairness the pre-season polls for 2012 had 5 B1G teams ranked too.). However, how many B1G teams finished in the Top 25 in 2012? 4 (With Mich & Nebby being 24th & 25th respectively.)

Having 5 teams ranked in the preliminary rankings would give the impression that the conference will be stronger next year. Additionally Iowa is scheduled to play all 5 ranked teams this year unlike 2012 when we faced 4 B1G teams that finished in the top 25.

you pretty much refuted your second paragraph with your first paragraph. the same exact amount of teams are ranked pre-2013 as there were in the weak pre-2012. how does that show the conference is getting stronger? seems stagnant to me.

While I cant exactly argue with much of what Jon said, I do think that people arent considering what losing our top tackle, and another guy did to us on the line. Should we be able to just plug in another guy by now? Sorta, but we cant. FACT. I dont remember being blowing out twice in one season. Last blow out I remember was ASU in 03? or was it 04? Anyway. While I am perplexed at the play of JVB, I think our QB play can only get better, and I know Im not the only one by a long shot. I firmly believe that if we hadnt lost those 2 guys on the line we win 2-3 more games. With better QB play I think we win 3-4 more games. I dont think the blow outs would have been. Still probably a loss, but not a blow out. I feel we win 7-9 games next year. While NW has been on the up swing, I think they are at their top, and will be swing back. Remember, Purdue was picked to win the division this year by many.

I'm pretty much in this boat.. Next year lives and dies by staying relatively healthy. I do think one positive going into next year is the boys are going to have a big chip on their shoulders.

I think we will be much better next year. I predict 6 or 7 wins and a minor bowl.........not great by any means but much better than 2012

I think we will be much better next year. I predict 6 or 7 wins and a minor bowl.........not great by any means but much better than 2012

When is the next time you see anyone on an Alabama forum with this sort of apathy? No offense to poster, just ya know we don't expect a lot from Coach Excitement

If Greg Davis is still our OC for the 2013 season we won't get more than 3 wins unfortunately. You can take that to the bank.

I don't see how our QB play can be better. Kirk said JVB gave us the best chance to win.:rolleyes:

I would say there's 3-4 positions on this team that realistically could be worse that last year. LCB-Hyde, Center-Ferentz, QB-Vandenberg, and WR-Keenan Davis.

Vandenberg, and Davis had sub-par years. Unlikely that whoever replaces that those positions will see a serious drop off. The best thing the program does is develop lineman. Boffelli is the likely replacement for Ferentz and he played well at guard.

Hyde will be replaced by a bevy of choices: Lomax(who impressed as a redshirt pre-injury), Fleming, Draper, and Buford. Hyde was a good player but a little erratic, and one area the program has been stock piling the last few years is at corner back.

For once in the last several years we aren't losing anyone early to the draft. No one played that well, but we get back future NFL players like Schreff(so.), and CJF. The running back depth chart is deep. This team seems like a 2008 Iowa team a lot of returning starters off a disappointing team. My guess is this is around an 8 win team.

It is really a slap in the face to see us picked behind everyone but Illinois. My how far the program has fallen.

I am with Okeefe on this though. The QB play can't be any worse than in 2012. That will be an improvement along with the D.
I am going with 6 wins.

Thats just silly logic saying it cant be worse but it can be and there is a good chance it will be its not like we have solid receivers. That mixed with 0 experience is the recipe for bad. Of course the opposite is always possible and hoped for but to just say it cant be worse is really a false statement. Thats like saying there is no way we can lose another running back for the last 5-7 years.

Thats just silly logic saying it cant be worse but it can be and there is a good chance it will be its not like we have solid receivers. That mixed with 0 experience is the recipe for bad. Of course the opposite is always possible and hoped for but to just say it cant be worse is really a false statement. Thats like saying there is no way we can lose another running back for the last 5-7 years.

I've seen Kurt Ferentz keep young talent on the bench enough times in favor of the "hard working senior who has been good to the program" to expect that a fair number of guys who play next year will be solid contributors. Unless the younger guys really, really suck, we will be fine.

So let's say the way-too-early power ranking is right, and we write off 2013 as a lost year.

What does 2014 look like? Is there light at the end of this tunnel?

Unless you mistakenly watched the 2010 season or the 2011 season that you recorded instead of the 2012 season, this should be no surprise. Some of the worst football ever seen in an Iowa uniform. Beyond execution and talent-disarray at times. Desperation at others-throwing "stuff" against a wall to see if it sticks-Just no idea of what to do and when. Stunning downfall. Having no idea about your identity + overhaul of staff = 11/12 ranking.

Last edited:
Whoda thunk ND would lose only one game in 2012? All the experts said that was impossible. I guess that is why they play the games.

Latest posts