Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

ILHawk's so dumb that he doesn't understand why he's intolerable.

Winged one. I am really relieved you understand the power of the position of he who controls the ban hammer. I was really concerned
images
your lack of impulse control
4681049a-f1.2.jpg
on slipping out the T word would get you banned and I would miss you.
images

Well, I like it. I hope Jon writes more of these and I hope espn does as well. Maybe this will help with the chip on the shoulder problem.
I wont say what I think, or predict, because I dont care enough about any of you to share.

I love how everyone blames our crappy season last year on the loss of two OL, one of whom wasn't even a starter until the 5th game of the year, and only then due to an injury to another player. Well what pray tell do people expect to happen next year if Scherff gets hurt again? I hate to break it to you, but football is a physical sport and injuries tend to happen. The entire program, our shot at 6-6 mediocrity and a glorious Toilet Bowl invitation is resting on one surgically repaired fibula. Tremendous.

Let me reiterate, we had a QB who threw SEVEN TD PASSES this year. I don't have the record book in front of me, but that has got to be close to a low for a decent team in the past 30 years running a pro style or west coast type offense (may be some option guys who had lower numbers). Unless the next guy is literally the worst QB Iowa has had bince the beginning of the Hayden era, 6 wins minimum next year. Plus, the defense will be better.

Ive been saying this for sometime. The two positions we struggled in the most are going to be better this year, and I believe markedly so. As it is now we were a few plays away from winning six games this year. Six to eight wins certainly looks possible next year. People don't realize how thin the line is between 4 and 7 wins in college football.

I love how everyone blames our crappy season last year on the loss of two OL, one of whom wasn't even a starter until the 5th game of the year, and only then due to an injury to another player. Well what pray tell do people expect to happen next year if Scherff gets hurt again? I hate to break it to you, but football is a physical sport and injuries tend to happen. The entire program, our shot at 6-6 mediocrity and a glorious Toilet Bowl invitation is resting on one surgically repaired fibula. Tremendous.

It is sad but true, before Scherff and Donnal went down they were making huge running holes on the left side of the line and not allowed a sack since the NIU game. The problem is the lack of talented depth, the season should not end with the loss of 2 offensive lineman. If anything you make changes to your game plan and try something else, which they didn't and that is on the coaching.

How many LAST place finishes do we need to have to admit this ship is sinking? Just asking because I don't see an out here with recruiting slipping and our inability to retain players from year to year. Lets be honest here

I don't think we need a last place finish to declare a sunk ship. Bottom 4 would do it, IMO.

Any team that finishes in the bottom 4 of the B1G either just went through major changes, or is in need of major changes.

Thank you!! Some of these guys are so ill informed and delirious for a 6 win season you would think they are clown or goofer fans.

Ive been saying this for sometime. The two positions we struggled in the most are going to be better this year, and I believe markedly so. As it is now we were a few plays away from winning six games this year. Six to eight wins certainly looks possible next year. People don't realize how thin the line is between 4 and 7 wins in college football.
We were just as close to being 2-10 last year. That's the style of football that Kirk prefers to play, and his overall record is HORRIBLE in close games, which is another reason not to be very optimistic about the immediate future.

But every time you post, [they] do realize how thick your skull is. Rah, rah, for another big 6 win season!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a big part of it. I'm not sure if Ferentz ever placed any extra emphasis on rivalry games, but that's not as important to me. But in 2002-04, and in '08-'09, the players played with that chip on their shoulder no matter who they were playing. That was a big part of what made things work in Ferentz's successful years. We haven't seen it since the Wisconsin game in 2010.

I would agree with this statement except for the game you listed. We saw that "chip" the very next week at home against an undefeated Michigan State team.

Who are "some of these guys" that are "delirious for a 6 win season"? I want to help you flame them.
I would be delirious if we could get to 6 wins next year. I would streak naked through U Heights and perform a nude calisthenics routine at the 50 yardline of Kinnick.

Mitch King , Pat Angers were two of the best leaders we have had in the last ten years. players have told me MK was down right scarey in the locker room. I dont think anyone wanted to face those two when they didnt do their job in a game. Guys like that dont grow on trees
I don't think it's that. A lot of the key players were Floridians and Texans, two other states now poorly represented on the roster. Brad Banks, C.J. Jones, Fred Barr, Colin Cole, Antwan Allen and Mo Brown were all from Florida. He Chandlers, Jonathon Babineaux, Drew Tate, Clinton Solomon all from Texas.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's a pretty loaded group from just that first three year run.

We were just as close to being 2-10 last year. That's the style of football that Kirk prefers to play, and his overall record is HORRIBLE in close games, which is another reason not to be very optimistic about the immediate future.

I have no problem with blanket statements like this, I just wish some facts were presented to supported rather than starting pi$$ing contests.... I'm not a KF hater or apologist. (I think he deserves another yr, but GD does not). I would like to see some data before making fly-by posts such as this though.

My gut tells me KF is at or slightly below average in close games as compared to his peers. For example, look at Dantonio and MSU. They won the close ones for a couple yrs, then in 2012 the bill came due on that and they lost the close ones.

I have no problem with blanket statements like this, I just wish some facts were presented to supported rather than starting pi$$ing contests.... I'm not a KF hater or apologist. (I think he deserves another yr, but GD does not). I would like to see some data before making fly-by posts such as this though. My gut tells me KF is at or slightly below average in close games as compared to his peers. For example, look at Dantonio and MSU. They won the close ones for a couple yrs, then in 2012 the bill came due on that and they lost the close ones.
The stats are readily available from the weekly game notes. The closer the game is, the worse KF's record is.In games decided by 10 points or less 34-38 .4722, 7 pts or less 29-38 .4328, 3 pts or less 15-23 .3947. For comparison, Northwestern as a program is 32-13 since 2004 in games decided by 7 pts or less. It has been well established that we play more close games than the vast majority of other schools during the KF era, and we are uniformly terrible in those games.

Last edited:
Pessimistic? I thought 5 wins toss up or better is optimistic. I saw 5-7 to 7-5 with last years schedule. I see 4 or 5 wins being realistic or optimistic.

Latest posts