Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

This team reminds me a lot of the 2009 team. A team with a lot of starters back. A team that is given no chance with a difficult schedule, and goes 11-2. However this team does get its best power running back returning and will likely not have to depend on freshman at that position.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2009 team. A team with a lot of starters back. A team that is given no chance with a difficult schedule, and goes 11-2. However this team does get its best power running back returning and will likely not have to depend on freshman at that position.

And Weisman declared academically ineligible or kicked out of school for undisclosed reasons in 3...2...1. Why in the hell do you feel the need to taunt AIRBHG?

QB and center?? No Norm? Greg "LOS Out Pattern" Davis? McNutt? DJK? Angerer? Clayborn? Ballard? Yes, practically identical! I'm going with 12-1...........

I've seen Kurt Ferentz keep young talent on the bench enough times in favor of the "hard working senior who has been good to the program" to expect that a fair number of guys who play next year will be solid contributors. Unless the younger guys really, really suck, we will be fine.

That is a fair enough point and I hope it turns out to be the case. I just seriously think things are such a mess and its clear he has no idea who gives them the best chance to win. Our best running back according to Kurts logic should never have seen the field this year, and it seems obvious our best QB indeed didnt see the field.....but as I said I hope you are correct its some crow I would love to much on all season long in 2013 :)

There is more to the story than returning players. The current assistant coaches aren't exactly elite. Things have gotten ugly since the departure of Norm. We also don't have the likes of Joe Philbin and Ron Aiken on staff...

I'm optimistic that 2013 will be better than 2012. If it's not, I certainly hope Gary Barta gives Ferentz additional time to right the ship. I would hate to see donors pre$$ure him for a change in leadership.

How many LAST place finishes do we need to have to admit this ship is sinking? Just asking because I don't see an out here with recruiting slipping and our inability to retain players from year to year. Lets be honest here

That is a fair enough point and I hope it turns out to be the case. I just seriously think things are such a mess and its clear he has no idea who gives them the best chance to win. Our best running back according to Kurts logic should never have seen the field this year, and it seems obvious our best QB indeed didnt see the field.....but as I said I hope you are correct its some crow I would love to much on all season long in 2013 :)

Agreed! I think Jason White is number 1 on the depth chart next year isn't he?! I would be elated, ecstatic, thrilled with 6-6 next year. AIN'T gonna happen folks better be comfy with 4-8 and maybe some improvement statistically on offense.

How many LAST place finishes do we need to have to admit this ship is sinking? Just asking because I don't see an out here with recruiting slipping and our inability to retain players from year to year. Lets be honest here

Maybe at least one?

Agreed! I think Jason White is number 1 on the depth chart next year isn't he?! I would be elated, ecstatic, thrilled with 6-6 next year. AIN'T gonna happen folks better be comfy with 4-8 and maybe some improvement statistically on offense.

OK, I get it now.

I have a question from Hawkeyeland. Is it really the wins and losses or the style of the losses and even many wins that most people who are "negative" about with this team. Those of us who were around in the late 70's loved the style of having a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Even if the game was lost, the other team knew they were in a battle, even if the score wasn't really close. That is what gets me the most negative. Having games that seem to be just another game, even if it's ISU or others.

2-10

2-10

forum

Oh My.......Doom

I have a question from Hawkeyeland. Is it really the wins and losses or the style of the losses and even many wins that most people who are "negative" about with this team. Those of us who were around in the late 70's loved the style of having a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Even if the game was lost, the other team knew they were in a battle, even if the score wasn't really close. That is what gets me the most negative. Having games that seem to be just another game, even if it's ISU or others.

This is a big part of it. I'm not sure if Ferentz ever placed any extra emphasis on rivalry games, but that's not as important to me. But in 2002-04, and in '08-'09, the players played with that chip on their shoulder no matter who they were playing. That was a big part of what made things work in Ferentz's successful years. We haven't seen it since the Wisconsin game in 2010.

This is a big part of it. I'm not sure if Ferentz ever placed any extra emphasis on rivalry games, but that's not as important to me. But in 2002-04, and in '08-'09, the players played with that chip on their shoulder no matter who they were playing. That was a big part of what made things work in Ferentz's successful years. We haven't seen it since the Wisconsin game in 2010.

Does the lack of the chip have anything to do with the dearth of natives on the team? Those 2 stars that want to be Hawkeyes over almost anything else?

Does the lack of the chip have anything to do with the dearth of natives on the team? Those 2 stars that want to be Hawkeyes over almost anything else?

I don't think it's that. A lot of the key players were Floridians and Texans, two other states now poorly represented on the roster. Brad Banks, C.J. Jones, Fred Barr, Colin Cole, Antwan Allen and Mo Brown were all from Florida. He Chandlers, Jonathon Babineaux, Drew Tate, Clinton Solomon all from Texas.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's a pretty loaded group from just that first three year run.

Latest posts