Grim Outlook for Iowa Football 2013?

Let me reiterate, we had a QB who threw SEVEN TD PASSES this year. I don't have the record book in front of me, but that has got to be close to a low for a decent team in the past 30 years running a pro style or west coast type offense (may be some option guys who had lower numbers). Unless the next guy is literally the worst QB Iowa has had bince the beginning of the Hayden era, 6 wins minimum next year. Plus, the defense will be better.

FWIW...a discussion with a current player yielded the disclosure that there was a reason no other QB's saw the field this past year. But it didn't have to do with redshirts or creating a potential "incumbent" situation (I saw it posted that if Rudock had played it became his job to lose)...it had to do with the capability of the backups. In a similar vein...watch out for Beathard next year.

Dude, the conference isn't improving. There was not a single good QB in the conference last year. The first round of the draft will have maybe 2 or 3 Big Ten guys. A bunch of teams are trying to go to some spread basketball on grass crap and it is getting away from the strengths of the Big Ten and it is precisely why Wisconsin can roll out an old school punch you in the mouth offense and still get to three straight Rose Bowls (with help from probations). Did you not see the expert picks above? They had freaking Northwestern second. Northwestern is getting better than they were, but I'm sorry, if Northwestern is picked second, the conference sucks. Hard.

A down conference will only help Kirk as he restores Iowa football to league and national prominence. GO HAWKS!

lol....show us 4!!

It is really a slap in the face to see us picked behind everyone but Illinois. My how far the program has fallen.

I am with Okeefe on this though. The QB play can't be any worse than in 2012. That will be an improvement along with the D.
I am going with 6 wins.

It is really a slap in the face to see us picked behind everyone but Illinois. My how far the program has fallen.

I am with Okeefe on this though. The QB play can't be any worse than in 2012. That will be an improvement along with the D.
I am going with 6 wins.

But which 6???? If you can't name them, you are simply pulling a number from the sky and you don't want to be the first one on this site to ever do that, do you?

I've already been asked to write fluff pieces, all winter. It's why Kirk pays me $3k per month on the side.

Not.

That's not how it works, and these sorts of queries are just ignorant.

images

Ha ha ha. They had a freaking 10 win team that narrowly lost to Michigan and Nebraska and still prolly only had about 28k fans show up. No way those things go up in price. Well, maybe if NU won 5 Rose Bowls in a row and the Bears went on a 10 year streak of 0-160 they would have some more fans, but that's about the only way. Jim Philips is not GarBar, brah.

Northwestern AD..... talk about a gig.

No expectations. None. Probably decent pay--even if it isn't as good of pay as, say, Michigan's AD.

That is a can't lose job. Not much more difficult than the old Walmart greeters.

I think Iowa will bounce back next year. While the schedule looks more daunting,I actually think it is about the same. At OSU and at Neb were losses at home or away,so it is good they are away.
NIU,NW,Wis,Mich,MoSt,and MSU are all within range of us. We can win most of those in Kinnick. At ISU is certainly not a gimmee,but they do lose much of their defense. Minny is not great as we wiped the field with them this year. Purdue will have a new coach,and loses their d-line. I see the Hawks having a bunch of close games,with a chance to win 7 or 8,if we find a QB that is passable. If we stay healthy, everything changes. Our running back corp and o-line can be good. Our TE's are mature and can be very good.
Our defensive front 7 can be good,and our secondary has good depth.
Meyer is a good kicker. The punter was only a frosh and can get better.

These other schools lose players also,ya know?

Northwestern AD..... talk about a gig.

No expectations. None. Probably decent pay--even if it isn't as good of pay as, say, Michigan's AD.

That is a can't lose job. Not much more difficult than the old Walmart greeters.

Tough call, man. Sure, you don't rub elbows with the People of Walmart every day, but you have to go to every NU football and basketball game (and not get drunk in the parking lot beforehand) plus a slew of crap like women's lacrosse and basketball games and crap like that. To me it would be torture. Have you seen how bad their basketball team is this year? It's seriously Lickliter era bad. That kid from Valley is playing A LOT due to injuries. I don't know, watching Carmody roll these crappy teams out year after year and restraining yourself from firing him at halftime of every game takes an amount of patience on par with a Buddhist monk or something.

Tough call, man. Sure, you don't rub elbows with the People of Walmart every day, but you have to go to every NU football and basketball game (and not get drunk in the parking lot beforehand) plus a slew of crap like women's lacrosse and basketball games and crap like that. To me it would be torture. Have you seen how bad their basketball team is this year? It's seriously Lickliter era bad. That kid from Valley is playing A LOT due to injuries. I don't know, watching Carmody roll these crappy teams out year after year and restraining yourself from firing him at halftime of every game takes an amount of patience on par with a Buddhist monk or something.

I really don't think you would have to go to all those games. Nobody else is there to notice that you are not there.

Dude, the conference isn't improving.

Early polls have 5 B1G teams in the top 25 for 2013 (yes we can argue those polls aren't worth anything and in fairness the pre-season polls for 2012 had 5 B1G teams ranked too.). However, how many B1G teams finished in the Top 25 in 2012? 4 (With Mich & Nebby being 24th & 25th respectively.)

Having 5 teams ranked in the preliminary rankings would give the impression that the conference will be stronger next year. Additionally Iowa is scheduled to play all 5 ranked teams this year unlike 2012 when we faced 4 B1G teams that finished in the top 25.