Don't know if this has been posted, but Hawks blame some of poor play on Social Media

If I were a parent of a college player in this situation I would tell them either:

-shut down your twitter and other social media to avoid this

Or

-Quit. If the insults from the outside are too much to handle and it isn’t fun for you, don’t play.

It is really as simple as that. I have no time to sit around worrying about things that I can’t control, and you certainly can’t control what people say about you on the internet.

Again no need to care or fix the problem. Just cover it up. Of course it is not the fan's fault for openly bashing kids. Nope it's the kids responsibility to sacrifice. They need to hide from the world so they don't have to deal with idiotic negativity. I guess they should have known that before 20. They are probably all hopeless morons because words hurt. How stupid of them.

just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right........and YES

51WUQvwaYzL.jpg

Lol what am I offended about? I'm actually disappointed. It saddens me a little to acknowledge that some of you could actually be fans. I hope that is the only commonality that we share.

Even more disheartening, the seeming reality that the majority of this board is filled with sociopathic commentary from possibly sociopathic sources.

That's not a DM.

no, DM is direct message. ....but anyone can @ them... again, like my original comment said and you stated those of you who actually know how to use twitter understand that message aren't sent directly at the players. I thought you could do that ... through DM or @ them. You can on my Twitter anyways, but maybe I don't know how to use it.

The best athletes and people don’t let it affect them, or they use it as motivation to make them better. They do not feel sorry for themselves.

Winners win

Losers make excuses

This has to be a joke. Tons of star athletes let social media get the best of them all the time. And I didn't read ANYWHERE where Iowa players said this was an excuse for their season. They said they read it, and it bothered them. It should have.

Lol what am I offended about? I'm actually disappointed. It saddens me a little to acknowledge that some of you could actually be fans. I hope that is the only commonality that we share.

Even more disheartening, the seeming reality that the majority of this board is filled with sociopathic commentary from possibly sociopathic sources.
people are entitled to their opinions. It's called "free speech"

If I were a parent of a college player in this situation I would tell them either:

-shut down your twitter and other social media to avoid this

Or

-Quit. If the insults from the outside are too much to handle and it isn’t fun for you, don’t play.

It is really as simple as that. I have no time to sit around worrying about things that I can’t control, and you certainly can’t control what people say about you on the internet.

Both solid points and probably something some of them will do that may have trouble with it.. Doesn't mean that they didn't read it or see it and have to figure that out for themselves. I don't really get why it's confusing to anyone that this would effect anyone, tough, winner, loser, anyone. It's human. Now, if you want to say that they didn't respond well to it? I agree. They shouldn't let it bother them at all. They can't control it. But they are younger men, who probably don't have life by the balls just yet like us on Hawkeyenation. They were either asked about it or it came up and they answered with a real answer. They heard the fans, it hurt. They didn't say they couldn't handle it or that it caused them to lose games. I didn't read that once.

It is quitting on the team and he isn't tough enough if he bails when the going gets tough. I believe seasons like this help build character and can have a positive result in the long run. Also - if you could point me to the Jess Settles radio show, I'd love to listen.

I think it's on the Sports Fanatics show, 1460, from 4-7 p.m. Thinks it's Monday that he's on.

In all seriousness, it's no wonder we couldn't win on the road this year and fell behind by at least 18 points in every single conference road game. This team, for whatever reason, just cannot handle hostile environments....whether it's in a basketball game or on their phone.

kind of like the football team for the most part.
And sometimes the truth hurts. Let's blame kids for it.

I personally blame Fran & his assistants first and foremost, Gary Barta because he is a worthless and gutless AD and the players themselves. It's a combination, but hog wash to blame social media. I will say, I was impressed how they performed at the Big 10 Tournament, don't know why they couldn't play like that all year? Very frustrating.

I don't get it. Their flamboyant coach that often get's in their faces yelling and screaming (probably cussing?) is no problem. But what folks who are or can be anonymous strangers say to them over social media bugs them? Life's too short man... You can't let that crap get to you. You just can't.

And sometimes the truth hurts. Let's blame kids for it.
I don’t get you. What are you trying to accomplish? What is your proposal to make humans stop saying and doing cruel things to other humans? Do you think by simply placing blame on these internet trolls you have fixed the problem? Maybe if we feel sorry for these kids it will all be okay?

You know what the saddest part is? Kriener and Pemsl gave them exactly what they wanted. These low life scumbags find joy in other people’s pain, so by acknowledging that it effected them, they gave the trolls what they wanted. Now I’m not going to sit here and pour it on because they are young, but hopefully they will learn in the future to not give these people the satisfaction.

But back to you Adam. What’s the end game here? How does us acknowledging that people say mean things get us anywhere?

kind of like the football team for the most part.

I personally blame Fran & his assistants first and foremost, Gary Barta because he is a worthless and gutless AD and the players themselves. It's a combination, but hog wash to blame social media. I will say, I was impressed how they performed at the Big 10 Tournament, don't know why they couldn't play like that all year? Very frustrating.

Even if the all the losses and deficiencies are entirely based on the players why should they deserve to be ridiculed for it?

People want to ridicule Fran. Have at it. He is a paid consenting adult. The players are kids and internet hacks have zero business harassing them. Social media or in person.

Even if the all the losses and deficiencies are entirely based on the players why should they deserve to be ridiculed for it?

People want to ridicule Fran. Have at it. He is a paid consenting adult. The players are kids and internet hacks have zero business harassing them. Social media or in person.

The players are NOT "kids". They are young men. They too are adults - 18+ is an adult. That's not my opinion, that's a fact, by law. Google it. That cannot be argued.

One can argue the definition of "pay" but this isn't junior church basketball league.. It's the Big Ten where the players are being given a free education to play college basketball. They are not above criticism. Neither are the coaches.

If they don't like the criticism, then maybe they'll come back next season with a chip on their shoulders. Sometimes people need a fire lit under their butts.. Even "kids" as you call them.

I don’t get you. What are you trying to accomplish? What is your proposal to make humans stop saying and doing cruel things to other humans? Do you think by simply placing blame on these internet trolls you have fixed the problem? Maybe if we feel sorry for these kids it will all be okay?

You know what the saddest part is? Kriener and Pemsl gave them exactly what they wanted. These low life scumbags find joy in other people’s pain, so by acknowledging that it effected them, they gave the trolls what they wanted. Now I’m not going to sit here and pour it on because they are young, but hopefully they will learn in the future to not give these people the satisfaction.

But back to you Adam. What’s the end game here? How does us acknowledging that people say mean things get us anywhere?

Acknowledgment of the problem fixes nothing immediately either. The utopian idea would be that over time social acceptance would change and consider the action to be taboo with traditional social consequences.

The thing that bothers me the most is the compassionless pile on demonstrated in this thread. It is one thing to acknowledge the wrong doing but profess that resistance is futile. It is another thing completely to accept the wrong doing as a norm and blame the accosted for subjecting themselves to it. It's the same nature of argument that is used against rape victims. Saying dressing provocatively invites the violent act against them. While the argument may hold some baseline of truth it is in fact a method of denial of the wrong doing.

Are the players culpable in the social media comments? Sure. They played and lost all the games. They actively read the comments. Does that make the comments ok....? No indeed I believe it does not.

I can't stop murder, rape, assaults, drug abuse, thefts or good old fashioned bullying. That doesn't mean I feel no empathy for the ones hurt by it. However there doesn't seem to be much compassion in here for the kids.

I honestly expected a lot more of "well that sucks, but not much you can do about it". Instead it is more like victim shaming. Just sad and disappointing to me.

I for one, am in the boat that says =block it out, let it fuel ya, ya can't let it bother you. You gotta be tougher. But honestly, have you ever had someone in your life that was a supporter, or someone you thought was supposed to be your support group that turned on you and got nasty? Now imagine most of your supporters did it. It's not a great feeling. Ultimately, you gotta move on from it and keep plugging away. But to say it doesn't affect you and you're a loser if it does? That's straight up BS, they are human and things like this can affect the strongest willed person to the weak minded competitor. That's how the human mind works. What they do with this will tell us a lot. I hope they learn something from it.

Acknowledgment of the problem fixes nothing immediately either. The utopian idea would be that over time social acceptance would change and consider the action to be taboo with traditional social consequences.

The thing that bothers me the most is the compassionless pile on demonstrated in this thread. It is one thing to acknowledge the wrong doing but profess that resistance is futile. It is another thing completely to accept the wrong doing as a norm and blame the accosted for subjecting themselves to it. It's the same nature of argument that is used against rape victims. Saying dressing provocatively invites the violent act against them. While the argument may hold some baseline of truth it is in fact a method of denial of the wrong doing.

Are the players culpable in the social media comments? Sure. They played and lost all the games. They actively read the comments. Does that make the comments ok....? No indeed I believe it does not.

I can't stop murder, rape, assaults, drug abuse, thefts or good old fashioned bullying. That doesn't mean I feel no empathy for the ones hurt by it. However there doesn't seem to be much compassion in here for the kids.

I honestly expected a lot more of "well that sucks, but not much you can do about it". Instead it is more like victim shaming. Just sad and disappointing to me.
I appreciate your comments but to me you have extremely dramatized the situation. There are many evils in this world, and a few kids getting told they suck at basketball on Twitter hardly ranks up there in my opinion. Good luck in your utopian quest.

The players are NOT "kids". They are young men. They too are adults - 18+ is an adult. That's not my opinion, that's a fact, by law. Google it. That cannot be argued.

One can argue the definition of "pay" but this isn't junior church basketball league.. It's the Big Ten where the players are being given a free education to play college basketball. They are not above criticism. Neither are the coaches.

If they don't like the criticism, then maybe they'll come back next season with a chip on their shoulders. Sometimes people need a fire lit under their butts.. Even "kids" as you call them.

While you are not wrong that there is legal precedent to support that anyone over the age of 18 is an adult, that hardly constitutes that its absolutely correct. While some people over the age of 18 may in fact be mentally and emotionally matured enough to constitute what the societal burden for adulthood is most of young adults are not.

I also do not believe that a degree from Iowa for an in state kid or out of state kid constitutes fair and equitable "pay" for the time investment in thier scholarship granting sport. It is the lowest form of compensation available. Even the inflated tuition costs are misleading since it actually cost the University next to nothing to add a few hundred student athletes to the already existing infrastructure.

I won't debate the whether they should be open to public scrutiny bit because it is something I have conflicting opinions on. It is pretty irrelevant to this topic though because we are not discussing simple "you suck" stuff. We are talking about personal, targeted demeaning of "young adults".

Your comments lead me to believe you condone this behavior because sometimes people need "a fire under their butts". Well my wife isn't disciplining the children appropriately in my opinion. Guess it's time to smack her around a bit. It wouldn't be my fault. She should have performed better. It's really her fault. Now that I think of it she is an adult too, and in a way she gets paid to raise the children. Yup she definitely deserves it. She needed a fire under her butt. She will probably be better for it, otherwise she is just a loser.

Who said you HAVE TO HAVE a twitter account. Frankly, the easiest way to eliminate noise is get off all that crap during the season.

From a logic standpoint this statement is not wrong. I think most adults see Twitter, Snap chat, Facebook and all the others for the vain and fake circuses that they are. However this is not a reasonable perspective from younger generations. They view social media as a vital means of communication and validation. To simply say "turn it off" is asking the majority of them to sacrifice something they deem as important. All because actual adults can't control themselves and act with proper decorum. Just yet another sad example of humanity at its finest. Meanwhile we all just accept it with our evening news.

Some posters on here even likened rooting for a mediocre sports program to be "accepting mediocrity". Yet some of the very same people are so willing to accept our societies mediocrity. They will stand against University injustice. Teeth sharpened, gnashing at flesh over a perceived state of mediocrity. Bound and determined to inspire change through revolt. Those same people can't even muster 1 ounce of compassion for a young adult struggling with having themselves slandered all over a social club that they hold in high regard. It's all good though. They sucked so they deserve it.