Don't know if this has been posted, but Hawks blame some of poor play on Social Media

Also - the only thing that says the players are blaming this season on social media is the TITLE of this thread. Read the article. They were asked about it - they responded that it did take a toll. It probably did. Either way, it's a bad look, but I don't blame them or think they are soft because they had their feelers hurt...that's a human reaction. Lebron James has had social media backlashes....guess he doesn't drink enough gasoline for breakfast.
I read the article again, and I still don’t see where you are seeing they were asked about it? I could be missing something but I really don’t see that.

Edit: I just watched the video again and the reporter literally mentioned nothing about social media, he said was it tough to rally that troops, and Kriener responded that that tougher thing was going online after games. My guess is that comment led to any future questions about social media if there were any.
Bueller?

To be honest, I didn't know how the the subject came up. You will see other posts on this very thread where I said - it was either asked, or the players brought it up themselves, I didn't know. Now I do, and it doesn't change how I feel about it, which I also stated in several posts as well. Not a good look, they need to be tougher, and shouldn't have brought it up. But I am sure it probably bothered them, it's only human that it did. I didn't address your question because I didn't feel like it was relevant nor did I mean the response your holding on to as "gospel" of how the subject came to fruition.

To be honest, I didn't know how the the subject came up. You will see other posts on this very thread where I said - it was either asked, or the players brought it up themselves, I didn't know. Now I do, and it doesn't change how I feel about it, which I also stated in several posts as well. Not a good look, they need to be tougher, and shouldn't have brought it up. But I am sure it probably bothered them, it's only human that it did. I didn't address your question because I didn't feel like it was relevant nor did I mean the response your holding on to as "gospel" of how the subject came to fruition.
But you said in the post I referenced “read the article. They were asked about it.” Then I read the article again watched the videos a couple times and they were literally never asked about it. Seems odd after the narrative you were pushing was they were asked about it and they answered it.

Not trying to start anything, but anyone that followed the players on twitter knew they were on there way too often. Many times just before a game and immediately after the game. I can only imagine how much time they waste on FB and/or Snapchat.

I don’t buy the argument these guys are just precious kids who were affected by mean posters on social media while playing in the brightest spotlight they’ve ever been in. These guys grew up on social media. They likely all have accounts on Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram (I doubt many are on Facebook). They read online garbage known as sports message boards. In junior high and high school, they likely were the top players on their teams with all the attention and publicity that yields. Their recruitment put them on a national stage, and their commitment to play at a B1G program was big news.

So the spotlight is hardly new or that hot.

These guys all need to learn to grow a pair, not let outside noise and distractions get in their heads and to play Chris Street hard-nosed ball.

And here’s the thing: are you born with toughness? Do you develop it over the years? Or can you learn it during an off-season?

I suspect if Iowa players think yes to the third question, it’s too late.

But you said in the post I referenced “read the article. They were asked about it.” Then I read the article again watched the videos a couple times and they were literally never asked about it. Seems odd after the narrative you were pushing was they were asked about it and they answered it.

nope, that doesn't work either. I said they weren't blaming the season on Twitter, like this thread is titled - "read the article".

But you are focused on me saying they were asked about it. Who cares, it was brought up... they brought it up - it doesn't matter to me how it became, they still weren't blaming the season on it.

And here’s the thing: are you born with toughness? Do you develop it over the years? Or can you learn it during an off-season?

I suspect if Iowa players think yes to the third question, it’s too late.

Wait, you just said they need to learn how to grow a pair, but then in your next post said it's too late to learn. So, are you born with toughness or do you develop it through adversity over the years? I would argue it's not too late for anyone to toughen up. Chances are this season could have that exact effect on a group.

Also, what narrative do you think I was pushing?

The only narrative I pushed was it's human nature to react to what people say about you and being tough has nothing to do with it. That kind of thing can get the best of people.

They were either asked about it or it came up and they answered with a real answer. They heard the fans, it hurt.
Read the article. They were asked about it - they responded that it did take a toll. It probably did.
So I went back to read the article and as far as I can tell they were never asked about it. To me it’s a big difference is they were asked about it and answered honestly or if they weren’t asked about it and just brought it up. The way the writer presented it definitely makes it seem like the players were the ones who brought it up. If you watch the video clip of Kriener he is the one who brings it up, the interviewer never asks about it.

So I went back to read the article and as far as I can tell they were never asked about it. To me it’s a big difference is they were asked about it and answered honestly or if they weren’t asked about it and just brought it up. The way the writer presented it definitely makes it seem like the players were the ones who brought it up. If you watch the video clip of Kriener he is the one who brings it up, the interviewer never asks about it.

ok?

Do you feel like I was "pushing" a narrative that they were asked it? Like, that was what I was pushing in all of that? Or you just focused on something I said (to which you see where I said - either they were asked or it was brought up in an earlier comment) and now won't let it go?

My whole point is, I don't care if they were asked or they brought it up - it wasn't imperative to my line of thinking nor was I pushing that. I also think it's weird you are focused on something I give 0 f*cks about.

Like, if a poster writes something on HN, and I ask them "hey what did you mean when you said that?" ...and they then explain it and they say, that's not even really what I am focused on nor do I care about that aspect (though I agree, it does matter in context, I am saying that I didn't know how the situation occurred when I made the original comments)....

I say "oh, ok, I see" and then move on with my life, but that's just me.

Wait, you just said they need to learn how to grow a pair, but then in your next post said it's too late to learn. So, are you born with toughness or do you develop it through adversity over the years? I would argue it's not too late for anyone to toughen up. Chances are this season could have that exact effect on a group.

Not contradictory at all. If they have some internal toughness they need to reach deep and find it and play balls to the wall next year. Take no prisoners. But if they think somehow they're going to toughen up in the next six months simply by learning, meh...

Do you feel like I was "pushing" a narrative that they were asked it? Like, that was what I was pushing in all of that? Or you just focused on something I said (to which you see where I said - either they were asked or it was brought up in an earlier comment) and now won't let it go?
To me it makes a big difference whether they were asked about it. The fact that you said they were asked about it when it doesn’t appear they were kind of rubbed me the wrong way no doubt.

Not contradictory at all. If they have some internal toughness they need to reach deep and find it and play balls to the wall next year. Take no prisoners. But if they think somehow they're going to toughen up in the next six months simply by learning, meh...

they probably all have "Learn to Get Tough Quick for Dummies" reserved at the library that they are gonna try and cram it on next August. You know what toughens you up? Getting your ass handed to ya. Hard to argue that lesson didn't start last November.

To me it makes a big difference whether they were asked about it. The fact that you said they were asked about it when it doesn’t appear they were kind of rubbed me the wrong way no doubt.

obviously.... we're really splitting hairs here, which goes back to the my point that you are focused unnecessarily on a point I care less about. I didn't honestly know how it came up. I see that you mentioned how Kreiner brought it up when asked about the toughest part of the year. Was RK the first person interviewed? I dunno. The article didn't straight up say it was or wasn't asked asked, I didn't watch the video...which is why I said it was either asked or brought up by the players in an earlier response. It sounds like they brought it up. Still don't care, still not my point in any of this and it's been really hard to get that across to you.

they probably all have "Learn to Get Tough Quick for Dummies" reserved at the library that they are gonna try and cram it on next August. You know what toughens you up? Getting your ass handed to ya. Hard to argue that lesson didn't start last November.

I found these in the online book stores. Perhaps Fran could put out a few bucks of his lucrative salary and buy a couple dozen for his team.

18689366.jpg

8037625.jpg

No Dummies books, tho...