Don't know if this has been posted, but Hawks blame some of poor play on Social Media

folks, this is the only "social media" avenue i use. No twitter, no FB, nothing else. but kids today have been raised using social media and many, many studies show how kids today assess their self-worth via their social media and how they're viewed.

Social media good vs bad is another discussion. but the fact that kids today place huge value in it, is real. these kids live through social media. it might be wise for everyone named Francis to lighten up. For those not named Francis; don't change your name to Francis.
This is exactly head on and well said.

I only have twitter to follow Iowa baseball.

Assessing your self worth from "something outside" like the opinions of others, how many likes you get on your Facebook page, how many nice things coach will say...is a dead end...

This team can't win because it is made up of a coach and players who don't know what it takes, and aren't willing to pay the price to get it...

Get to work, improve, quit crying and making excuses...get better and impress the fans, and you will hear many more positives...

When you put the work in and get better...you can feel a lot better about yourself, with a healthy dose of pride and accomplishment for a goal achieved.

For now...turn off the social media...you can't handle the truth.

Possibly, you are the one who is unable to handle the truth.

maxresdefault.jpg

Team and Individual defense did not go so well huh? That's ok, you are still special to me. Hugs and Kisses....XOXOXOXO.

Obviously, you know nothing about self-esteem. Good grief.

Assessing your self worth from "something outside" like the opinions of others, how many likes you get on your Facebook page, how many nice things coach will say...is a dead end...

This team can't win because it is made up of a coach and players who don't know what it takes, and aren't willing to pay the price to get it...

Get to work, improve, quit crying and making excuses...get better and impress the fans, and you will hear many more positives...

When you put the work in and get better...you can feel a lot better about yourself, with a healthy dose of pride and accomplishment for a goal achieved.

For now...turn off the social media...you can't handle the truth.
I agree with everything you said here, and it is stated well — except paragraph 2. That paragraph is just stupid. you don’t know that. Just another cheap shot.

Everything else is straight on, imo.

The players and coaches don't seem to know what it takes...or it seems that way, after watching the painful season of what might have been, dissolve into a mist...hideous, helpless, heartless... repeated over and over...

i think Fran telling them they are great is what leads to this. Al
Quite honesty this website is a negative recruiter's dream. Monopolized by negative posters with evidently nothing to do but express their ire.
You think Iowa own's the market on negative fans?

The more I think about it, the less I blame the players for being upset at social media and how it may have affected their play.

They started playing youth sports at about the same time the "everyone gets a trophy" culture started to rev up. Whereas when an old guy like me was playing sports back in the day and someone criticized me, it motivated me to show them they were wrong, players today have a harder time dealing with criticism because they've largely been told by parents, coaches and the culture that they still are so great and talented and that losing or failure isn't that big of a deal because at least they tried.

That and social media making it five times as worse as criticism was in my day and I can understand a little bit how much harder it is for these guys.

Incidentally, Jake Sullivan, on that radio show he is on with Jess Settles, basically said that if Cook leaves Iowa it's because he's quitting on his team and isn't tough enough to handle adversity. He basically said guys back in his day didn't quit like players today. Don't slay the messenger, just telling you what the Jakester said.

Incidentally, Jake Sullivan, on that radio show he is on with Jess Settles, basically said that if Cook leaves Iowa it's because he's quitting on his team and isn't tough enough to handle adversity. He basically said guys back in his day didn't quit like players today. Don't slay the messenger, just telling you what the Jakester said.

It is quitting on the team and he isn't tough enough if he bails when the going gets tough. I believe seasons like this help build character and can have a positive result in the long run. Also - if you could point me to the Jess Settles radio show, I'd love to listen.

The more I think about it, the less I blame the players for being upset at social media and how it may have affected their play.

They started playing youth sports at about the same time the "everyone gets a trophy" culture started to rev up. Whereas when an old guy like me was playing sports back in the day and someone criticized me, it motivated me to show them they were wrong, players today have a harder time dealing with criticism because they've largely been told by parents, coaches and the culture that they still are so great and talented and that losing or failure isn't that big of a deal because at least they tried.

That and social media making it five times as worse as criticism was in my day and I can understand a little bit how much harder it is for these guys.
This would be a great theory, except that these guys are playing against kids their same age who went through the same things. You don’t think this stuff happens at other schools?

No, all this is is another excuse by players that can’t admit they didn’t live up to the hype, some of the hype was set by themselves. It is a lame excuse at that.

Last edited:
The very acknowledgment of this by some guys demonstrates a pretty thin skin and lack of mental toughness, not to mention, accountability.

Toughen Up! Work Harder! Get Better! Play Better!

It's really that simple, guys. Get a little F-UUUUU! attitude and you might see yourselves perform better on the court.

Then guess what ~ it all goes away.

Some of you are complete animals. Sure its ok that these kids get abused everyday for underperforming, but suck it up, don't whine, don't talk about it. Just get better or continue to be berated.

I love how some of you act like they should be strong enough to block out thousands of people's disappointed comments. Meanwhile I watch those same people flip shit when 1 single poster disagrees with them or calls them a name.

Anyone who blames the players for taking in your face personal criticism poorly, is a fucking tool and a hypocrite.

P.S. Meet any one of these players outside. Watch how fast even Charlie Rose could kick your teeth down your throat. Most people that talk shit online need thier ass kicked real good anyways.

Some of you are complete animals. Sure its ok that these kids get abused everyday for underperforming, but suck it up, don't whine, don't talk about it. Just get better or continue to be berated.

I love how some of you act like they should be strong enough to block out thousands of people's disappointed comments. Meanwhile I watch those same people flip shit when 1 single poster disagrees with them or calls them a name.

Anyone who blames the players for taking in your face personal criticism poorly, is a fucking tool and a hypocrite.

P.S. Meet any one of these players outside. Watch how fast even Charlie Rose could kick your teeth down your throat. Most people that talk shit online need thier ass kicked real good anyways.

Pretty much. I mean, there isn't a poster on here that has had a spot light on them like any of these guys. Not even remotely close. So, it's really easy to say "suck it up" when you haven't spent a second in their shoes and never will spend a second in their place. I would venture that most people on here have never been publicly criticized in their entire lives and if they have, it wasn't even 1% the level these guys face. It takes a special kind of a-hole who can't sympathize at least a little with what they are saying.