Don't know if this has been posted, but Hawks blame some of poor play on Social Media

Not trying to start anything, but anyone that followed the players on twitter knew they were on there way too often. Many times just before a game and immediately after the game. I can only imagine how much time they waste on FB and/or Snapchat.

I don’t doubt that. I don’t have either Twitter or Snap my kids do. They share things with me all the time and it’s crazy what you see and the things people say. IMO If you using that stuff especially college athletes you better have some thick skin. Why I’m blown away that they went public with it. My guess is that it could come back and bite em even harder.

Not trying to start anything, but anyone that followed the players on twitter knew they were on there way too often. Many times just before a game and immediately after the game. I can only imagine how much time they waste on FB and/or Snapchat.

Ok now that is something I can get behind blaming them for.

agree, they are always on it... i know because so am I. :) ////

Now back to my sarcastic self.

"BUT THAT'SH TIME THEY COULD BE WORKING ON DEFENSE AND BOXING OUT... DA DER HER DA DERP"

maxresdefault.jpg

Also - the only thing that says the players are blaming this season on social media is the TITLE of this thread. Read the article. They were asked about it - they responded that it did take a toll. It probably did. Either way, it's a bad look, but I don't blame them or think they are soft because they had their feelers hurt...that's a human reaction. Lebron James has had social media backlashes....guess he doesn't drink enough gasoline for breakfast.

Social media is just a part of the gig at this point. I’m honestly surprised that Kirk is still able to enforce his policy without affecting recruiting.

The fact that adults engage with student athletes is stupid. But let’s be honest these kids love the attention that social media can bring when things are good.

Last edited:
Players on other teams seem to be able to deal with it. It's no different at any school. Twitter is a cesspool.

Also - the only thing that says the players are blaming this season on social media is the TITLE of this thread. Read the article. They were asked about it - they responded that it did take a toll. It probably did. Either way, it's a bad look, but I don't blame them or think they are soft because they had their feelers hurt...that's a human reaction. Lebron James has had social media backlashes....guess he doesn't drink enough gasoline for breakfast.
I read the article again, and I still don’t see where you are seeing they were asked about it? I could be missing something but I really don’t see that.

Edit: I just watched the video again and the reporter literally mentioned nothing about social media, he said was it tough to rally that troops, and Kriener responded that that tougher thing was going online after games. My guess is that comment led to any future questions about social media if there were any.

It was dumb for the players to admit publicly that it bothered them, it's obvious that it would have. Anybody that pretends that it wouldn't is lying. Social media, online forums - basically anything online is a toxic cesspool of bullies. Nonetheless it is a huge part of kid's lives. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Generally there are no repercussions for acting like an dickhead online.

The players just have to accept most that these losers that are bashing them lead shit lives and have to live vicariously through a 20 year old to feel good about themselves. They can either use this as fuel to improve or wallow in it. We'll find out next year.

Social media is just a part of the gig at this point. I’m honestly surprised that Kirk is still able to enforce his policy without affecting recruiting.

The fact that adults engage with student athletes is stupid. But let’s be honest these kids love the attention that social media can bring when things are good.

Why do you think it doesnt impact recruiting?

What this paragraph?

The thing that bothers me the most is the compassionless pile on demonstrated in this thread. It is one thing to acknowledge the wrong doing but profess that resistance is futile. It is another thing completely to accept the wrong doing as a norm and blame the accosted for subjecting themselves to it. It's the same nature of argument that is used against rape victims. Saying dressing provocatively invites the violent act against them. While the argument may hold some baseline of truth it is in fact a method of denial of the wrong doing.

I fail to see any reference to cyber bullying being similar in action to rape? I do see however the well thought out argument that highlights the thought of placing the burden of avoidance on the victim simply because other people are savages.

But hey, cheers on the spelling.

It didn't surprise me one bit that someone was dumb enough to think you were comparing dicks on social media to rape.

Weird that so many people are digging in so deep against Adam. All he is saying is it sucks that kids have to deal with this crap. That doesnt mean its a good excuse why they tanked this season (even tho no one used it as an excuse). It doesn't mean kids should stay off social media or try to have thicker skin (they should). It just means it's messed up that people can be such douches (it is).

Weird that so many people are digging in so deep against Adam. All he is saying is it sucks that kids have to deal with this crap. That doesnt mean its a good excuse why they tanked this season (even tho no one used it as an excuse). It doesn't mean kids should stay off social media or try to have thicker skin (they should). It just means it's messed up that people can be such douches (it is).
There really is no excuse for going after college players on their social media pages. Assuming that's what's happening. If they go out looking for adulation and find criticism....that's a them problem.

If more fans supporting the team as I do things would be different. A few players have expressed appreciation for my positive posts on social media about them and the team. A positive environment generated from fans like me also helps with recruiting.
So the players are playing for positive social comments on fan message boards and if we just lie and tell them how great they are they will respond by playing great? I'm afraid the reason this season happened was too many Iowa players were spending too much time getting full of themselves on social media. Reading about how great they were gonna be and how they were gonna win the Big Ten and get to the Final Four. It was probably hard for Mac to teach defense to players with such enlarged heads. They probably kept falling down from the weight of their egos.

Latest posts