Byrd, You Suck!

Again, I keep getting this bizarre Reducto ad Absurdum argument that simply asking people to behave with decency and civility means I want them to sit quietly and watch the game.

nothing will fire up the home team more than the sound of crickets and knitting needles.

Again, I keep getting this bizarre Reducto ad Absurdum argument that simply asking people to behave with decency and civility means I want them to sit quietly and watch the game. Cheer all you want. Cheer your heart out. Blow the roof off of the stadium. You don't need to be vulgar to the other team to show the Hawks your support.

So...mr ****....can you give us the kind of upstanding cheers you would like the students to say?

I don't know who it is but he has an alt feel.

Definitely not Scorp. Joined just four days ago and has only 16 posts, virtually all in basketball. Low post count + blasketball focus = no Scorp, IMHO..

Also quotes biblical history...

If this is considered "mean spirited", I attended a game against M St. back when Horner and company were playing and the student section was chanting at CHA "F%#* you Eddie,(clapping 5 times), F#%& you Eddie....after Hightower made another bad call against the good guys...Byrd sucks is pretty tame if you ask me.

I think my favorite chant of an opposing team's student section was by the Spartans back when Settles was playing his 6th? year red shirt calling him Grandpa Settles..pretty clever.

Was in the student section last night. Lol at the guys getting butthurt at the chant. As if that's the worst things we've yelled in the direction of the bench at the games? The stuff you hear on TV are only the chants the whole SS does. You don't hear the one or two section chants right over by the other team's bench. Better not come down there or you'll be really ashamed of our great university or something. Go hawks!

It is demeaning to the people who have to sit their and listen to it, particularly the elderly and children who frequent the games, and want to cheer on the team, not listen to insults. The fact that you intentionally attacked my point of view with a logical fallacy (If we can't cheer negatively, you assume we can't cheer at all) proves to me that you know you do not have a leg to stand on.

I do not need to knock others down to make myself feel better. I do not need to degrade the other team just to enjoy a basketball game. A sense of decency is nothing to be ashamed of.

This is just a shot in the dark but I'm going to assume you sit in the section under the press box that won't continue the wave at football games until we chant "come on old people".

Loosen up.

Just finished reading it all. Listen, Im a college student and show my team spirit by wearing gold and blacking out.
Even when I've had my way with a hearty amount of Busch Lights with my "bros" I refrain from cursing in front of children.
BUT when that games on you better believe I'm letting the opposing teams starting PG know I'd fornicate with his sister then never call her again even if she was a delight.
It's the nature of the beast, college is fun.

Every year the News Gazette from Champaign posts the most difficult to play at B1G stadiums. Even Illinois hasn't played at Iowa in quite some time, Kinnick always gets top billing. Rowdy crowd, yes.

But what puts them over is the stuff thrown at opposing player and comments about their mothers. And they aren't talking about the student section. Something to be PROUD of.

Seriously, many of us stared out Hawkeye fanaticism going to games as kids. No longer family friendly.

Perhaps you would be more accepting if all they did was throw batteries at the opposing team and staff. That would be very classy for the students of a cheating coaching staff to do. Very classy.....

Stay Cool, Bro.....

:cool:

It is demeaning to the people who have to sit their and listen to it, particularly the elderly and children who frequent the games, and want to cheer on the team, not listen to insults. The fact that you intentionally attacked my point of view with a logical fallacy (If we can't cheer negatively, you assume we can't cheer at all) proves to me that you know you do not have a leg to stand on.

I do not need to knock others down to make myself feel better. I do not need to degrade the other team just to enjoy a basketball game. A sense of decency is nothing to be ashamed of.

Good idea. Let's start cheering for the other team too. Using your liberal whacko logic, we should just be neutral and hope for both teams to play well. For your next thread, post that we should not wear Iowa gear to games because it is disrespectful to our competition. Now I see why this country is turning into France Lite.

Good idea. Let's start cheering for the other team too. Using your liberal whacko logic, we should just be neutral and hope for both teams to play well. For your next thread, post that we should not wear Iowa gear to games because it is disrespectful to our competition. Now I see why this country is turning into France Lite.

That is literally the opposite of what Klondike said. Chanting at the other team is getting harder all the time; the line between a dull, worthless chant and a chant in bad taste is fine and growing ever finer. The safest and easiest thing to do is be loud in support of the Hawks, chant "defense" and be loud when the bad guys have the ball, and boo when Ben Brust touches the ball. You can have school spirit without offending people.

Perhaps you would be more accepting if all they did was throw batteries at the opposing team and staff. That would be very classy for the students of a cheating coaching staff to do. Very classy.....

Stay Cool, Bro.....

:cool:

What this about bro? Lou Doo?

Just finished reading it all. Listen, Im a college student and show my team spirit by wearing gold and blacking out.
Even when I've had my way with a hearty amount of Busch Lights with my "bros" I refrain from cursing in front of children.
BUT when that games on you better believe I'm letting the opposing teams starting PG know I'd fornicate with his sister then never call her again even if she was a delight.
It's the nature of the beast, college is fun.

Now...why is college grad unemployment so high? I thought it was the economy. I'm partially wrong.

I am of the mindset that I am not going to change my behavior when I am not doing anything wrong. I do not believe it is unreasonable for people to behave like civilized human beings in any public setting, including sporting events. There have been several instances in the past (and I am sure plenty more in the future) where I have asked people to refrain from behaving inappropriately. The majority of the time, just asking someone to stop does the trick. On a few occasions, I have asked stadium officials to ask the person to stop. It is not something I like to do, but, like I said, I am not doing to feel ashamed for doing the right thing.

suggest just sticking to golf events.

Is it too much to expect the fans who come to the games to behave in a decent and respectable matter? Is it now insufficient to simply applaud the efforts of your own squad, but instead to demean the opponent in the process? If that is what you think a fan is, then good riddance.

Haha I don't know about your day old timer but nowadays you would hear 10x worse than "you suck" during one trip on the Reinow elevator.

Latest posts