Byrd, You Suck!

Yelling "you suck" and doing the things that you describe (above) are completely different.

You are most certainly an ******* if you're one of those ***** who questions every decision the coach makes. You're also an ******* if you show up to games drunk and act like an angry and disrespectful mongoloid.

Yelling "you suck" is just plain fun and you get bonus funny-points if it is loud enough that people can hear it on TV.

I honestly feel sorry for you. Not only are you not ashamed of this coarse and disrespectful behavior, but you actually celebrate it. Not only that, but the people who just want to watch and enjoy the game and cheer for their own team and not degrade anyone are looked down upon.

Funny that I am the bad guy after making the case for behaving with human decency. I thought this was a place where we could seriously discuss athletics, but instead it is becoming a contest on who can act with the most disrespect.

Unfortunate.

I go to sporting events all the time, particularly small college games, and there is never anything resembling negative chanting, particularly borderline vulgarities like we saw last night. It is not my fault that I do not want my child exposed to people behaving like animals, it's the fault of people who erroneously believe that a ticket to the game is a permission slip to act boorish without consequences.

It is a stain on the University of Iowa community that a person like me is marginalized for believing that a civilized atmosphere at a sporting event is desirable. It, in some ways, explains much of the behavior I have been reading in other forii.

I was actually going to mention that. If you are looking for a more relaxed environment to take your kids to watch sports in person, you should probably stick to going to D3 sporting events. Although I went to a few Coe football games this past season and there are some over zealous fans that yell profanities there too. You're right though, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to expose your kids to environments like Carver. My advice to you though is to keep them away from most large sporting events in general.

Last night's game was hardly a stain on the university. That was pretty tame compared to some of the higher-profile games Iowa has had this season and definitely pales in comparison to other venues around the country. Have you not noticed the threads about ISU's fans at the game on Monday?

Ha! I'm just back from Jon's banhammer for saying JO sucks. I wonder if he can banhammer the whole student section for saying Byrd sucks?

Ha! I'm just back from Jon's banhammer for saying JO sucks. I wonder if he can banhammer the whole student section for saying Byrd sucks?

Something, something, I don't read every thread. Something, something PM me.

I was actually going to mention that. If you are looking for a more relaxed environment to take your kids to watch sports in person, you should probably stick to going to D3 sporting events. Although I went to a few Coe football games this past season and there are some over zealous fans that yell profanities there too. You're right though, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to expose your kids to environments like Carver. My advice to you though is to keep them away from most large sporting events in general.

Last night's game was hardly a stain on the university. That was pretty tame compared to some of the higher-profile games Iowa has had this season and definitely pales in comparison to other venues around the country. Have you not noticed the threads about ISU's fans at the game on Monday?

I am of the mindset that I am not going to change my behavior when I am not doing anything wrong. I do not believe it is unreasonable for people to behave like civilized human beings in any public setting, including sporting events. There have been several instances in the past (and I am sure plenty more in the future) where I have asked people to refrain from behaving inappropriately. The majority of the time, just asking someone to stop does the trick. On a few occasions, I have asked stadium officials to ask the person to stop. It is not something I like to do, but, like I said, I am not doing to feel ashamed for doing the right thing.

Every year the News Gazette from Champaign posts the most difficult to play at B1G stadiums. Even Illinois hasn't played at Iowa in quite some time, Kinnick always gets top billing. Rowdy crowd, yes.

But what puts them over is the stuff thrown at opposing player and comments about their mothers. And they aren't talking about the student section. Something to be PROUD of.

Seriously, many of us stared out Hawkeye fanaticism going to games as kids. No longer family friendly.

I am of the mindset that I am not going to change my behavior when I am not doing anything wrong. I do not believe it is unreasonable for people to behave like civilized human beings in any public setting, including sporting events. There have been several instances in the past (and I am sure plenty more in the future) where I have asked people to refrain from behaving inappropriately. The majority of the time, just asking someone to stop does the trick. On a few occasions, I have asked stadium officials to ask the person to stop. It is not something I like to do, but, like I said, I am not doing to feel ashamed for doing the right thing.

College games would be awful if the students acted like the season ticket holders. Your version of college athletics is boring and unrealistic.

Also, you also continue to describe behavior that is not anything remotely similar to the student section yelling "Byrd, you suck" in an effort to win this argument. It's not working.

If you're sitting next to some dumb drunk flat-faced Kirkwood student (or anyone from Marshalltown) who is barfing on your 5 year old son, tearing up his beat red face with his fingernails, and calling Fran a ******* ******* ****. You certainly have the right to tell this person to shut up, or ask an official to step in. What you don't have the right to do is attend a collegiate basketball game and act like a prude grumpy old windbag. Or even more pathetically, keep your mouth shut the entire game and complain about it on an internet forum the next day from the comforts of your ****** desk job.

Ban hammer for saying JO sucks? Really? Seems mild compared to other things said here. Did you file an appeal?

College games would be awful if the students acted like the season ticket holders. Your version of college athletics is boring and unrealistic.

Also, you also continue to describe behavior that is not anything remotely similar to the student section yelling "Byrd, you suck" in an effort to win this argument. It's not working.

If you're sitting next to some dumb drunk flat-faced Kirkwood student (or anyone from Marshalltown) who is barfing on your 5 year old son, tearing up his beat red face with his fingernails, and calling Fran a ******* ******* ****. You certainly have the right to tell this person to shut up, or ask an official to step in. What you don't have the right to do is attend a collegiate basketball game and act like a prude grumpy old windbag. Or even more pathetically, keep your mouth shut the entire game and complain about it on an internet forum the next day from the comforts of your ****** desk job.

Again, I keep getting this bizarre Reducto ad Absurdum argument that simply asking people to behave with decency and civility means I want them to sit quietly and watch the game. Cheer all you want. Cheer your heart out. Blow the roof off of the stadium. You don't need to be vulgar to the other team to show the Hawks your support.

Every year the News Gazette from Champaign posts the most difficult to play at B1G stadiums. Even Illinois hasn't played at Iowa in quite some time, Kinnick always gets top billing. Rowdy crowd, yes.

But what puts them over is the stuff thrown at opposing player and comments about their mothers. And they aren't talking about the student section. Something to be PROUD of.

Seriously, many of us stared out Hawkeye fanaticism going to games as kids. No longer family friendly.
Have you seen some of the Illinois players moms ? Enough said.

Again, I keep getting this bizarre Reducto ad Absurdum argument that simply asking people to behave with decency and civility means I want them to sit quietly and watch the game. Cheer all you want. Cheer your heart out. Blow the roof off of the stadium. You don't need to be vulgar to the other team to show the Hawks your support.

Yes, people shouldn't be vulgar to anyone inside the arean, stadium etc... They shouldn't swear, throw things etc.... as I wouldn't want my kids exposed to that kind of behavior, but saying "Byrd Sucks" isn't vulgar and offensive to me. I would just explain to my kids the finer points of life and try to be a good role model as a parent. If you don't like things being yelled that you consider offensive, but really aren't to most people then you can just stay home as most games are available on TV.

Yes, people shouldn't be vulgar to anyone inside the arean, stadium etc... They shouldn't swear, throw things etc.... as I wouldn't want my kids exposed to that kind of behavior, but saying "Byrd Sucks" isn't vulgar and offensive to me. I would just explain to my kids the finer points of life and try to be a good role model as a parent. If you don't like things being yelled that you consider offensive, but really aren't to most people then you can just stay home as most games are available on TV.

but you could hear it on TV so now what? i guess there's always dolph on the radio, lol

It is demeaning to the people who have to sit their and listen to it, particularly the elderly and children who frequent the games, and want to cheer on the team, not listen to insults. The fact that you intentionally attacked my point of view with a logical fallacy (If we can't cheer negatively, you assume we can't cheer at all) proves to me that you know you do not have a leg to stand on.

I do not need to knock others down to make myself feel better. I do not need to degrade the other team just to enjoy a basketball game. A sense of decency is nothing to be ashamed of.

I didn't realize the knitting lady posted here. Can you make me a scarf?

I go to sporting events all the time, particularly small college games, and there is never anything resembling negative chanting, particularly borderline vulgarities like we saw last night. It is not my fault that I do not want my child exposed to people behaving like animals, it's the fault of people who erroneously believe that a ticket to the game is a permission slip to act boorish without consequences.

It is a stain on the University of Iowa community that a person like me is marginalized for believing that a civilized atmosphere at a sporting event is desirable. It, in some ways, explains much of the behavior I have been reading in other forii.

Forii??

Is this an Okeefe alt? :)

Latest posts