Byrd, You Suck!

So for years people complain because no students show up, now they show up, but the PC crowd wants to them chant "Byrd we think you are a great competitor, but hope you shoot poorly against us"? You guys are right, let's go back to empty seats and the black tarp so your feelings don't get hurt. Byrd is the guy the opponent's fans don't like, just like White is for Iowa. Byrd is a big boy and responded by hitting a couple 3's. He gets the same treatment in every big ten arena--probably worse.

Is it too much to expect the fans who come to the games to behave in a decent and respectable matter? Is it now insufficient to simply applaud the efforts of your own squad, but instead to demean the opponent in the process? If that is what you think a fan is, then good riddance.

Is it too much to expect the fans who come to the games to behave in a decent and respectable matter? Is it now insufficient to simply applaud the efforts of your own squad, but instead to demean the opponent in the process? If that is what you think a fan is, then good riddance.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously?!?! Do you want a participation ribbon for posting this? Wow, they chanted "You Suck." Is that really demeaning? If so, crowds better just sit down and be quiet while watching the game, since standing and being noisy could distract the players. We couldn't have that.

Kudos to the students who were there for trying their best. But what really sucked more than Byrd was the fact that maybe 1/3 of the student seats were full. Just a weak showing by the students. Anyone who was there will understand. Again, thanks to the students who actually showed up.

Yeah that didnt sound so good on tv. Makes us look really bad. They can rag the guy and make noise just pick something else to say

So for years people complain because no students show up, now they show up, but the PC crowd wants to them chant "Byrd we think you are a great competitor, but hope you shoot poorly against us"? You guys are right, let's go back to empty seats and the black tarp so your feelings don't get hurt. Byrd is the guy the opponent's fans don't like, just like White is for Iowa. Byrd is a big boy and responded by hitting a couple 3's. He gets the same treatment in every big ten arena--probably worse.

You have completely exaggerated what this thread is about. Nothing to do with "PC". I love it when the student section chants at individual players. Just saying that "Byrd you suck" is pretty weak and uninspired.

That seemed to be the dominant chant last night.

Meh...........was not a big fan of that one. I actually found myself cringing whenever it would start up. I mean, he is a pretty good player. Couldn't you crazy kids in the student section come up with something a little better?

Anyone got any suggestions? (yeah, I went there):cool:

What students?

Iowa's crowd sucked last night.

Seriously?!?! Do you want a participation ribbon for posting this? Wow, they chanted "You Suck." Is that really demeaning? If so, crowds better just sit down and be quiet while watching the game, since standing and being noisy could distract the players. We couldn't have that.

It is demeaning to the people who have to sit their and listen to it, particularly the elderly and children who frequent the games, and want to cheer on the team, not listen to insults. The fact that you intentionally attacked my point of view with a logical fallacy (If we can't cheer negatively, you assume we can't cheer at all) proves to me that you know you do not have a leg to stand on.

I do not need to knock others down to make myself feel better. I do not need to degrade the other team just to enjoy a basketball game. A sense of decency is nothing to be ashamed of.

It is demeaning to the people who have to sit their and listen to it, particularly the elderly and children who frequent the games, and want to cheer on the team, not listen to insults. The fact that you intentionally attacked my point of view with a logical fallacy (If we can't cheer negatively, you assume we can't cheer at all) proves to me that you know you do not have a leg to stand on.

I do not need to knock others down to make myself feel better. I do not need to degrade the other team just to enjoy a basketball game. A sense of decency is nothing to be ashamed of.

That may very well be true but do you go to many sporting events? If you're looking for someplace to take your grandma and 4 year old kids without hearing a profanity or 2, a college basketball game is not the place. I would definitely suggest staying away from NFL games (or any sporting event where alcohol is served).

BTW, if your posts are tounge-in-cheek then I apologize and you can disregard. It's actually kind of hard to tell...

That may very well be true but do you go to many sporting events? If you're looking for someplace to take your grandma and 4 year old kids without hearing a profanity or 2, a college basketball game is not the place. I would definitely suggest staying away from NFL games (or any sporting event where alcohol is served).

BTW, if your posts are tounge-in-cheek then I apologize and you can disregard. It's actually kind of hard to tell...

I go to sporting events all the time, particularly small college games, and there is never anything resembling negative chanting, particularly borderline vulgarities like we saw last night. It is not my fault that I do not want my child exposed to people behaving like animals, it's the fault of people who erroneously believe that a ticket to the game is a permission slip to act boorish without consequences.

It is a stain on the University of Iowa community that a person like me is marginalized for believing that a civilized atmosphere at a sporting event is desirable. It, in some ways, explains much of the behavior I have been reading in other forii.

Get over yourself. Don't take your children to college sporting events if they can't handle college students getting rowdy to support their team (not your child's elementary school team). As for old people. Why the need to shield our elderly? Old people are not infants.

As a student, degrading the other team is part of the fun. I have fond memories of yelling "you suck, calling out certain player's by name and telling them to drop the ball" at the 2010 Orange Bowl during pre game warmups. Our seats were really close to the field and it is highly enjoyable to get reactions or try to get in the head of the person you are calling out. Even if it has no affect or has the reverse affect of making an opposing team's player better it is still very much worth it as a spectator to yell tastefully awful things (nothing truly derogatory racist or homophobic).

Also, "you suck" works perfectly. It is short and to the point, and it's easy to get the people around you to cheer the same thing. Byrd does suck because he plays for the wrong team. He deserves to be called out on it by our crowd. He deserves to be smacked around by our crowd and our team, and he deserves to be treated like a piece of crap when he comes to our town.

At least the students are not boring. The ******* adult section can barely stand for longer than 3 minutes at a time, can barely chant, and barely does **** other then eat trash and take ****ed up poops in the public restrooms. The adult section needs to stop having boring missionary sex with their wives and grow a ******* pair.

Love,

A man-child with a pair

****** stuff happens in this world but my tipping point is some 18 year olds saying "You suck."

I go to sporting events all the time, particularly small college games, and there is never anything resembling negative chanting, particularly borderline vulgarities like we saw last night. It is not my fault that I do not want my child exposed to people behaving like animals, it's the fault of people who erroneously believe that a ticket to the game is a permission slip to act boorish without consequences.

It is a stain on the University of Iowa community that a person like me is marginalized for believing that a civilized atmosphere at a sporting event is desirable. It, in some ways, explains much of the behavior I have been reading in other forii.

FYI:
You should never bring up this kind of stuff up on a message board because most of the posters here believe that they have the right to do as they please at a sporting event or even around the stadium at Kinnick. Their right to scream profanities at other fans, (even at our own team/players) throw beer cans all over hell, puke, **** in public and basically act like morons, supercedes any other's right to bring their kids and enjoy the event. Remember, you have no rights. If you don't like their behavior, stay home.

Get over yourself. Don't take your children to college sporting events if they can't handle college students getting rowdy to support their team (not your child's elementary school team). As for old people. Why the need to shield our elderly? Old people are not infants.

As a student, degrading the other team is part of the fun. I have fond memories of yelling "you suck, calling out certain player's by name and telling them to drop the ball" at the 2010 Orange Bowl during pre game warmups. Our seats were really close to the field and it is highly enjoyable to get reactions or try to get in the head of the person you are calling out. Even if it has no affect or has the reverse affect of making an opposing team's player better it is still very much worth it as a spectator to yell tastefully awful things (nothing truly derogatory racist or homophobic).

Also, "you suck" works perfectly. It is short and to the point, and it's easy to get the people around you to cheer the same thing. Byrd does suck because he plays for the wrong team. He deserves to be called out on it by our crowd. He deserves to be smacked around by our crowd and our team, and he deserves to be treated like a piece of crap when he comes to our town.

At least the students are not boring. The ******* adult section can barely stand for longer than 3 minutes at a time, can barely chant, and barely does **** other then eat trash and take ****ed up poops in the public restrooms. The adult section needs to stop having boring missionary sex with their wives and grow a ******* pair.

Love,

A man-child with a pair

A man-child with a pair.....of man-boobs? Clearly this is an alt.

FYI:
You should never bring up this kind of stuff up on a message board because most of the posters here believe that they have the right to do as they please at a sporting event or even around the stadium at Kinnick. Their right to scream profanities at other fans, (even at our own team/players) throw beer cans all over hell, puke, **** in public and basically act like morons, supercedes any other's right to bring their kids and enjoy the event. Remember, you have no rights. If you don't like their behavior, stay home.

Yelling "you suck" and doing the things that you describe (above) are completely different.

You are most certainly an ******* if you're one of those ***** who questions every decision the coach makes. You're also an ******* if you show up to games drunk and act like an angry and disrespectful mongoloid.

Yelling "you suck" is just plain fun and you get bonus funny-points if it is loud enough that people can hear it on TV.

Latest posts