Brady Ellingson

Do you understand what back up plan means? Cause like... that's what happened. Williams was going to play sparingly to spell Jordan, they didn't even have that luxury and Jordan had to play way too many minutes and was the only reliable ball handler they had

Plan - Jordan starts the 1, Williams backs him up, gives another ball handler and decent defender. Really didn't expect that to be more then 10 minutes a game or so, but it would have been a much needed relief that Iowa didn't have this season. Williams leaves - back up plan -lift Connor's shirt. Connor gets sick. No other plan but to play Jordan way too many minutes and start the Dailey back up plan - which was never going to work in season.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't assuming anything. I was saying it's possible it goes to Connor, which it is. Or it could be banked if they like somebody more in the '19 class than what they can land this spring. Those are possibilities just like it's possible the staff finds somebody it likes during this period.

The spring is a tough time. Way more demand than supply. And the supply hasn't been set. There will be more transfers.

It has to play out.

What is the scholarship position on the baseball team? Couldn't they run the scholly thru baseball which would might look a little better? Fran isn't involved with baseball so might be a bit more accepted. In addition, wasn't he leaning just a bit more towards baseball, anyway?

Best of luck to Brady. Though his career at Iowa did not turn out to be what we, or Brady, for that matter, wanted. There were some games where Brady showed some real flash and helped with some key wins. And, he was a safeguard for Fran at times, since he rarely made mistakes.

Yes, hope he finds a nice place to land. Custer from Iowa State did. Couple others from Iowa have.

BTW - thank you Brady for the years and effort. He worked hard and did what the staff asked of him. He didn't pan out as a hit, that happens more often then everyone being a success story. I hope he finds a good level to play and I wish him the best. I am also sorry that every thread goes like this, but as long as Cyclone fans dress up like Hawkeyes online, you can count on me to be around.

Do you understand what back up plan means? Cause like... that's what happened. Williams was going to play sparingly to spell Jordan, they didn't even have that luxury and Jordan had to play way too many minutes and was the only reliable ball handler they had

Jordan was the only reliable ball handler we had even if Williams was here. Williams had the highest turnover percentage on the team the year prior and you even admit he wasn't good enough to play at this level but all of a sudden he brings a few more wins? Haha OK Margaret!

Jordan was the only reliable ball handler we had even if Williams was here. Williams had the highest turnover percentage on the team the year prior and you even admit he wasn't good enough to play at this level but all of a sudden he brings a few more wins? Haha OK Margaret!

Williams didn't have to be special and would have contributed SOMETHING- he was a Junior who averaged 12 minutes a game last year who was a plus defender. Jordan only played under 30 minutes in 10 games this season. He was Iowa's only option - if you can't see that giving your 2nd best player a spell, or allowing him to move over to the 2 at times wouldn't have benefited this team, then you should stop talking down to people about basketball knowledge.

It would be ridiculous AFTER there were more confirmed transfers. Not until. Now who's being ridiculous?

I would bet that the staff has been working under the assumption that they have 2 open spots for some time and possibly more.

Williams didn't have to be special and would have contributed SOMETHING- he was a Junior who averaged 12 minutes a game last year who was a plus defender. Jordan only played under 30 minutes in 10 games this season. He was Iowa's only option - if you can't see that giving your 2nd best player a spell, or allowing him to move over to the 2 at times wouldn't have benefited this team, then you should stop talking down to people about basketball knowledge.

People never take into account momentum either. Williams obviously wasn't enough to get this team that played like complete shit to play good. But maybe he was good enough to turn a loss into a win in the Caymans. Maybe that keeps the team from imploding. Who knows.

Williams couldn't play point guard at all. Dailey was a much better backup option to Jordan than Williams ever was. CW was a walking turnover whenever he tried it. Dailey's turnover percentage was 10% less than Williams was the year prior and even Brady had a much lower turnover percentage too. Williams was awful and in no way did he give this team a few more wins and if you can't realize that you should stop talking down to people about basketball knowledge.

People never take into account momentum either. Williams obviously wasn't enough to get this team that played like complete shit to play good. But maybe he was good enough to turn a loss into a win in the Caymans. Maybe that keeps the team from imploding. Who knows.

It could have completely derailed the team, we have no idea. But to say it had no effect is completely nuts.

I would bet that the staff has been working under the assumption that they have 2 open spots for some time and possibly more.
Bet all you want. Calling someone else "ridiculous" for what you "bet" might happen....maybe, is ridiculous in it's own right. And it doesn't change the math I presented on the 3 positions in question. One of these players would have to transfer, to keep the players/positions manageable.
Moss
Dailey
CMac
Bohannon
Which one(s) do you expect to transfer? It would have to be Moss or Dailey to be able to add a PG or a combo guard. Correct?

Williams couldn't play point guard at all. Dailey was a much better backup option to Jordan than Williams ever was. CW was a walking turnover whenever he tried it. Dailey's turnover percentage was 10% less than Williams was the year prior and even Brady had a much lower turnover percentage too. Williams was awful and in no way did he give this team a few more wins and if you can't realize that you should stop talking down to people about basketball knowledge.

I'm not, I'm just talking to you and I've always known more then you.

Bet all you want. Calling someone else "ridiculous" for what you "bet" might happen....maybe, is ridiculous in it's own right. And it doesn't change the math I presented on the 3 positions in question. One of these players would have to transfer, to keep the players/positions manageable.
Moss
Dailey
CMac
Bohannon
Which one(s) do you expect to transfer? It would have to be Moss or Dailey to be able to add a PG or a combo guard. Correct?

Wagner is gone now too - I bet the staff is completely blind sided right? Or they may have had an idea I bet

Now that Wagner's gone, Fran will look for help, but I still highly doubt he'll look for someone to play PG, unless Connor has decided to quit basketball.

I'm not one to judge other parents, but if Fran cares more about job security than building a good team around his kids, I'd be surprised and disappointed. That would be messed up to be ok sitting behind your huge buyout instead of wanting your kids to play on good teams. Not to mention he should care more about his legacy. I'm surprised anyone has the opinion that Fran doesn't care to improve his team.
I see that a buyout protects a coach who has had some success but sees dark clouds on the horizon; he wants to capitalize on his current success because he sees the potential that he won't be as successful in the future and wants to protect himself in the event his forecast turns out correct (because if he continues to be successful, the buyout becomes moot, you're not going to fire a coach who is winning). If that is the case, then why would a school want to bind themselves into that predicament? You've just bound yourself to a big payout in the event the team doesn't do as well as they have in the past, so now you either have to pay a bundle to get rid of the coach or endure losing seasons because you can't afford to get rid of him. I'd think it better for the school to incentivize the coach with bonuses for future success than guarantee him a big payday in the event he's not as successful as a carrot to keep him around, plus the PR for paying bonuses to a coach for being successful is much more palatable to the fans (KF's contract to the contrary because it has both, another masterstroke). To promise a big buyout is negotiating from a position of weakness, you're afraid he might walk if he doesn't get his buyout? Besides, in Iowa's case, Fran wasn't going anywhere. Unless, of course, the buyout was for Barta's benefit moreso than Fran's, so he's somewhat protected from having to hire another basketball coach.