Brady Ellingson

Williams was not a B1G caliber player, no argument. But let's not act like he wouldn't have at least helped this team a little. Let's also not act like Connor wouldn't have helped this team, at least a little. That's what tiresome. The fact that we can't even have a conversation about ANYTHING on this site without you 2 coming in and dowsing it with gasoline.

I don't think Williams helps this team at all. Fran already plays too many guys so throwing in another guy that sucks isn't going to lead to any more wins. It's a lazy excuse for the Fran apologists. The coaches should have had a backup plan for Williams well before he announced he was leaving when it was apparent he wasn't good enough to play at this level.

I'm not one to judge other parents, but if Fran cares more about job security than building a good team around his kids, I'd be surprised and disappointed. That would be messed up to be ok sitting behind your huge buyout instead of wanting your kids to play on good teams. Not to mention he should care more about his legacy. I'm surprised anyone has the opinion that Fran doesn't care to improve his team.

It ridiculous. If anyone thinks Fran wants to make his family's life absolutely miserable for the next 4 years is crazy. My bet is he's desperately looking for a plan to get things changed and changed quickly, whatever that takes.

I don't think Williams helps this team at all. Fran already plays too many guys so throwing in another guy that sucks isn't going to lead to any more wins. It's a lazy excuse for the Fran apologists. The coaches should have had a backup plan for Williams well before he announced he was leaving when it was apparent he wasn't good enough to play at this level.

They did, he got hurt, then mono then sick some more. It's not an excuse, it's what happened.

ANY BALL HANDLER and average defender would have given this team at least a few more wins. Iowa's only reliable ball handler was Jordan. Period. Brady - no. Dailey - no ... Jordan. That's it. Having Connor or Williams would have made SOME difference.

I'm not one to judge other parents, but if Fran cares more about job security than building a good team around his kids, I'd be surprised and disappointed. That would be messed up to be ok sitting behind your huge buyout instead of wanting your kids to play on good teams. Not to mention he should care more about his legacy. I'm surprised anyone has the opinion that Fran doesn't care to improve his team.

Then why hasn't he gone after any graduate transfers in years past when it was obvious they were needed like all the other coaches do? Why did he say Doc's question was out of line because of his body of work? Why did he blame the offense almost every game we lost this year even though it was defense? Maybe he really wants to win but he does a poor job of showing it. He seems content doing things his own way and thinking it is right. I think he's so stubborn he thinks he can win with a roster full of tweeners just to prove everyone wrong.

ANY BALL HANDLER and average defender would have given this team at least a few more wins. Iowa's only reliable ball handler was Jordan. Period. Brady - no. Dailey - no ... Jordan. That's it. Having Connor or Williams would have made SOME difference.

Might as well have played Uhl and all the walk ons too haha. Williams was terrible and was not a ball handler by any stretch of the imagination. You're delusional if you think he gives this team at least a few more wins. He had the highest turnover percentage of any player in 2016-17!

It ridiculous. If anyone thinks Fran wants to make his family's life absolutely miserable for the next 4 years is crazy. My bet is he's desperately looking for a plan to get things changed and changed quickly, whatever that takes.

You'd think so, but we saw Kirk stubbornly hold out on things that cost his team (and him some coaching respect). Give a guy a big enough contract and extension...he starts to think he's untouchable and above change.

Then why hasn't he gone after any graduate transfers in years past when it was obvious they were needed like all the other coaches do? Why did he say Doc's question was out of line because of his body of work? Why did he blame the offense almost every game we lost this year even though it was defense? Maybe he really wants to win but he does a poor job of showing it. He seems content doing things his own way and thinking it is right. I think he's so stubborn he thinks he can win with a roster full of tweeners just to prove everyone wrong.

My post is in response to people thinking Fran doesn't care now that he has that buy out. His fricking sons are going to be on the team and get absolutely trashed if the team isn't good. I would bet Fran cares more than that that being lazy because of his buy out.

Also Fran is known as a players coach who is big on team chemistry. (I get the irony since this team didn't seem to have any) Maybe he doesn't think grad transfers that come in for one year are good for team chemistry. Maybe has has gone after some and it hasn't worked out. I don't know the answer to that, but I'm guessing it's more than "he's lazy or stubborn".

Fran is 100% confident that Connor can be a really good point guard at Iowa. Since he has JBo another two years, Fran really doesn't see any need to add a point guard in the '18 class (he has his hands in on a few different point guards in the '19 class).
If nobody other than Brady leaves, Brady's scholly will go to Connor and there won't be any other schollies available for transfers, unless my scholly math isn't correct.

First of all Connor is to slow to play PG and he will be abused and embarrassed over and over in the BIG! If Fran doesn't get a PG that can play D and create his shot and shots for others then he needs to be shown the door because he to STUPID to coach at Iowa!

They did, he got hurt, then mono then sick some more. It's not an excuse, it's what happened.

Fran said Connor was going to redshirt this year if Williams didn't transfer. Connor was never a backup plan for Williams this year. Fran was going to roll him out there when it was clear to everyone who watched he didn't belong.

Might as well have played Uhl and all the walk ons too haha. Williams was terrible and was not a ball handler by any stretch of the imagination. You're delusional if you think he gives this team at least a few more wins. He had the highest turnover percentage of any player in 2016-17!

You are without a doubt the biggest Cyclone fan I've met.

Fran said Connor was going to redshirt this year if Williams didn't transfer. Connor was never a backup plan for Williams this year. Fran was going to roll him out there when it was clear to everyone who watched he didn't belong.

What?

agree 100% with that. It's all about perception, and Connor being on the team I am sure works against him. That doesn't mean that they aren't trying. It's a ridiculous claim frankly. Iowa is out looking for guards right now, I don't know how anyone thinks otherwise.
I'm not so sure about that. There are enough guards on the roster with the incoming recruits. There just aren't enough good guards. 6 players for 3 spots (1, 2 and the 3).
Dailey
Moss
Bohannon
CMac
CJ
Weiskamp
If you add Baer and Nunge to the list at the 3, that makes 8 players for 3 spots. That's the correct number of players for 3 spots. The problem isn't the number of guards. It's the number of QUALITY guards.
You're of the opinion that Fran wants to replace someone that's already on the roster and he's out looking for guards as we type? And everyone else that thinks Fran has his 8 players for 3 spots, is ridiculous?

I'm not so sure about that. There are enough guards on the roster with the incoming recruits. There just aren't enough good guards. 6 players for 3 spots (1, 2 and the 3).
Dailey
Moss
Bohannon
CMac
CJ
Weiskamp
If you add Baer and Nunge to the list at the 3, that makes 8 players for 3 spots. That's the correct number of players for 3 spots. The problem isn't the number of guards. It's the number of QUALITY guards.
You're of the opinion that Fran wants to replace someone that's already on the roster and he's out looking for guards as we type? And everyone else that thinks Fran has his 8 players for 3 spots, is ridiculous?

Cooks ship is in question too, and most expect more transfers. So, yeah, it's ridiculous.

You'd think so, but we saw Kirk stubbornly hold out on things that cost his team (and him some coaching respect). Give a guy a big enough contract and extension...he starts to think he's untouchable and above change.

Self evaluation is a trait that not many people have. A coach obviously does what he thinks is best. When it doesn't work, he probably finds excuses to what went wrong, then tries to fix those things. It's easier than thinking your approach is wrong. Normally if they have a disastrous season, they will look into the mirror and self evaluate. Hopefully Fran did that. Kirk definitely has in many ways.

I said they should have had a backup plan for Williams going into this season before he announced he was going to transfer because it was already known he wasn't a B1G caliber player. You said they already had that in Connor which is incorrect because Connor was going to redshirt this year.

Self evaluation is a trait that not many people have. A coach obviously does what he thinks is best. When it doesn't work, he probably finds excuses to what went wrong, then tries to fix those things. It's easier than thinking your approach is wrong. Normally if they have a disastrous season, they will look into the mirror and self evaluate. Hopefully Fran did that. Kirk definitely has in many ways.

Kirk's done it over and over and over... he's been forced to because he's bet on the wrong decision. If you wanna argue whether or not he should have been allowed to? Ok. But, he's had 1 comparable season to what Iowa hoops just went through in 17 years.

I said they should have had a backup plan for Williams going into this season before he announced he was going to transfer because it was already known he wasn't a B1G caliber player. You said they already had that in Connor which is incorrect because Connor was going to redshirt this year.

Do you understand what back up plan means? Cause like... that's what happened. Williams was going to play sparingly to spell Jordan, they didn't even have that luxury and Jordan had to play way too many minutes and was the only reliable ball handler they had

Cooks ship is in question too, and most expect more transfers. So, yeah, it's ridiculous.

If he leaves, we very well may need another good post player at that point. I'm banking on Connor, Wieskamp, and Fredrick all being better than Moss and Dailey. I should be right shouldn't I? :)