Brady Ellingson

Why do you feel that though? That's what I am asking. Cause Fran sucks? Cause to an outsider, that would seem very foolish in today's transfer market right?
Fran is 100% confident that Connor can be a really good point guard at Iowa. Since he has JBo another two years, Fran really doesn't see any need to add a point guard in the '18 class (he has his hands in on a few different point guards in the '19 class).
If nobody other than Brady leaves, Brady's scholly will go to Connor and there won't be any other schollies available for transfers, unless my scholly math isn't correct.

Fran is 100% confident that Connor can be a really good point guard at Iowa. Since he has JBo another two years, Fran really doesn't see any need to add a point guard in the '18 class (he has his hands in on a few different point guards in the '19 class).
If nobody other than Brady leaves, Brady's scholly will go to Connor and there won't be any other schollies available for transfers, unless my scholly math isn't correct.

Yep nepotism has its privileges.

Best of luck to Brady. Though his career at Iowa did not turn out to be what we, or Brady, for that matter, wanted. There were some games where Brady showed some real flash and helped with some key wins. And, he was a safeguard for Fran at times, since he rarely made mistakes.

While I believe that he has 100% confidence in Connor being a really good point guard at Iowa, I don't think he can feel at all comfortable about the situation at guard in his program. I also feel like there is at least 1 more transfer at the very least, also Cook's ship is up in the air. The staff is looking, they have to be. I am not saying they will ultimately land someone immediately, but I have very little doubt that they are looking for 18-19 help if they can get it.

Even if this is true, why not use the scholly and try to find a quick/slashing wing player to compliment CM and JB next year?

Do you feel that? I guess what I am saying is, if we as fans see the issue, is it impossible that the staff might see it too?

I feel like he hasn't needed to rely on transfers in the past. Up until this season, I don't think there was THIS glaring of issue at guard b4 this season. I also feel like the staff will do whatever they have to do to change Iowa's fortunes and "staying put" because they think they are good isn't even being considered by a staff that just went 4-14. That's just MY opinion on it.
I don’t know what to feel. I thought there were noticeable corrections that could have been throughout the year that weren’t made. I feel that Fran can be stubborn. I at times wonder if he wants to carve a path for Connor to get minutes. Bringing in a transfer at guard certainly wouldn’t help that.

I posted this in the Nunge thread before this one was made, but it might be the best option for everyone involved to either bank or use his scholarship. The reason for this being his baseball career. If he finishes up basketball and can play the second half of the baseball season every year and Heller is okay with having him join in halfway, then it doesn't force Heller to keep an extra baseball scholarship in the bank to let him play. As many have said before, Connor's best chance may be MLB, and if he gets himself drafted highly by going this route, then I'm sure even he would gladly pay his tuition with his signing bonus.

Well there's a domino. As far as how they fill his scholly if it's not given to CM I would hope all eyes are open. Grad transfers any kind of transfer that could help should be looked at. Give me the quick PG or ball handling SF that's an offensive threat and I'll be happy. Otherwise bank it and get what you can next yr...

I don’t know what to feel. I thought there were noticeable corrections that could have been throughout the year that weren’t made. I feel that Fran can be stubborn. I at times wonder if he wants to carve a path for Connor to get minutes. Bringing in a transfer at guard certainly wouldn’t help that.

I guess I am the only one who thinks that Fran won't put his kids playing time ahead of what is best for the program and that he WANTS to win at Iowa. Noticeable corrections from a roster stand point? What can he do really in season with the cards he had to play? I agree it was a terrible season of coaching and I put that all on Fran, but team defense and not having another PG after 1 transferred out and another got sick is a pretty tough in season move. Those are off season moves. I blame him for not doing it when he could have done something, not so much "in season". They moved Dailey to PG, but that's not something that is gonna be able to be corrected in season, that's a huge transition. They still tried to do it. Playing Nunge at the 3 IMO probably had to do as much as with Nunge wanting immediate PT and Cook being the 4 as much as Fran "wanting" to play him there.

I feel like Iowa is looking at all options and should be. Just my opinion and I would feel like it would be a wildly shared opinion for anyone who's watched Fran and his program earlier then 2018.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't assuming anything. I was saying it's possible it goes to Connor, which it is. Or it could be banked if they like somebody more in the '19 class than what they can land this spring. Those are possibilities just like it's possible the staff finds somebody it likes during this period.

The spring is a tough time. Way more demand than supply. And the supply hasn't been set. There will be more transfers.

It has to play out.

Of course, it all comes down to if that particular "somebody" likes Iowa. I don't mind the open scholly but we need a player that is an upgrade. Otherwise we're just swapping spare parts in and out. I know, I'm overstating the obvious.

Last edited:
Good luck to Brady. I'm sure he worked hard but believe he was probably a level too high. If multiple players are gone, I believe a scholly will go to Connor. If Brady is the only one, I believe they will try to find (or at least should) a JUCO or grad transfer. I'm not in the camp that they need a PG. A PG can come in the next class. If healthy, I think Connor can do just fine as a backup to JBo. I want a wing that can slash and defend. And if that wing can only do one thing, it needs to be able to play defense.

While I believe that he has 100% confidence in Connor being a really good point guard at Iowa, I don't think he can feel at all comfortable about the situation at guard in his program. I also feel like there is at least 1 more transfer at the very least, also Cook's ship is up in the air. The staff is looking, they have to be. I am not saying they will ultimately land someone immediately, but I have very little doubt that they are looking for 18-19 help if they can get it.

I think you underestimate Fran's ego and stubbornness.

I guess I am the only one who thinks that Fran won't put his kids playing time ahead of what is best for the program and that he WANTS to win at Iowa. Noticeable corrections from a roster stand point? What can he do really in season with the cards he had to play? I agree it was a terrible season of coaching and I put that all on Fran, but team defense and not having another PG after 1 transferred out and another got sick is a pretty tough in season move. Those are off season moves. I blame him for not doing it when he could have done something, not so much "in season". They moved Dailey to PG, but that's not something that is gonna be able to be corrected in season, that's a huge transition. They still tried to do it. Playing Nunge at the 3 IMO probably had to do as much as with Nunge wanting immediate PT and Cook being the 4 as much as Fran "wanting" to play him there.

I feel like Iowa is looking at all options and should be. Just my opinion and I would feel like it would be a wildly shared opinion for anyone who's watched Fran and his program earlier then 2018.
You make a good point about some of the changes being tougher in season. Still I think repeating the same mistakes over and over seemed to be very odd.

The part about looking at all options is kind of a three part deal. I’m sure there will be articles that surface about Iowa reaching out to some guards. How hard will they pursue? Will they actually land someone? At this point it’s hard to say but to me it seems more likely right now that we don’t land a transfer.

You make a good point about some of the changes being tougher in season. Still I think repeating the same mistakes over and over seemed to be very odd.

The part about looking at all options is kind of a three part deal. I’m sure there will be articles that surface about Iowa reaching out to some guards. How hard will they pursue? Will they actually land someone? At this point it’s hard to say but to me it seems more likely right now that we don’t land a transfer.

That's fair. It's not as easy as identifying a prospect and just making it work. Lots of logistics. And, I would also NOT argue that Connor HURTS that process. But who knows Connor's plan or Fran's plan? Not me. He might be out there telling kids Connor is going to play baseball. He might be telling them Jordan is moving to the 2 if they come to Iowa. I am not gonna pretend I have any idea because I don't.

Do you feel that? I guess what I am saying is, if we as fans see the issue, is it impossible that the staff might see it too?

I feel like he hasn't needed to rely on transfers in the past. Up until this season, I don't think there was THIS glaring of issue at guard b4 this season. I also feel like the staff will do whatever they have to do to change Iowa's fortunes and "staying put" because they think they are good isn't even being considered by a staff that just went 4-14. That's just MY opinion on it.
I saw the issues with the 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes Fran signed. He/his staff didn't see the upcoming problem that was the 2017-18 season. So, I think its fair to question everything with this head coach. Remember, Fran thought this was his best team to date, at the beginning of the season.