Brady Ellingson

I see a guy who thinks his job security shouldn't even be questioned because he managed to make the Tournament twice in eight years.

I see a guy who's been to 3 NCAA's and an NIT in the last 5 and I agree with his assessment. Aint many schools gonna punch his clock that quickly.

I saw the issues with the 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes Fran signed. He/his staff didn't see the upcoming problem that was the 2017-18 season. So, I think its fair to question everything with this head coach. Remember, Fran thought this was his best team to date, at the beginning of the season.

I agree, I question absolutely every move the staff makes now. His staff couldn't foresee his back up PG transferring days before the season started or their back up plan getting mono, I am sure of that.

Because what this roster needs, puts his son on the bench or cuts his role by half. It probably puts other players that can't play defense, on the bench too.

Why couldn't Jordan move to the 2 in that scenario and Connor and the new PG compete for time at the 1?

That's fair. It's not as easy as identifying a prospect and just making it work. Lots of logistics. And, I would also NOT argue that Connor HURTS that process. But who knows Connor's plan or Fran's plan? Not me. He might be out there telling kids Connor is going to play baseball. He might be telling them Jordan is moving to the 2 if they come to Iowa. I am not gonna pretend I have any idea because I don't.
It's got nothing to do with what Fran's plan or Connor's plan is. It's the perception of the prospect that matters and what other coaches are telling that prospect. Connor could be playing baseball only. Fran could be telling recruits that Connor is playing baseball only. If the prospect doesn't believe it, that's all that matters. It sucks if it's happening but sometimes, perception = reality for us.

I agree, I question absolutely every move the staff makes now. His staff couldn't foresee his back up PG transferring days before the season started or their back up plan getting mono, I am sure of that.
Williams was NEVER a viable option for PG. Not in the BIG. But that's not the biggest failure of this staff. It's the fact that they have a roster that can't play defense.

Williams was not a B1G caliber player and he transferred to a horrible mid major program. Stop making excuses for them it's tiresome to read over and over. .

Why couldn't Jordan move to the 2 in that scenario and Connor and the new PG compete for time at the 1?
That's exactly what I would do but it does nothing to address the fact that we can't play perimeter defense. Moving Bohannon to the 2 and adding Connor at PG isn't a cure for our defensive issues. Not when you still have the defensive liability of Baer/Nunge playing the 3.

I might be wrong but I think moving a 6ft PG to the wing would end up being a mistake especially when there's no other major outside shooter to take some pressure off. There's going to be guys that are 6'2-6'6" guarding him and they will be quick enough plus will have major length on him. Some of those shots he gets off over PG's may not happen at SG. But a lot of people doubted that he could play PG at a Big Ten school so he's proved people wrong before...

I might be wrong but I think moving a 6ft PG to the wing would end up being a mistake especially when there's no other major outside shooter to take some pressure off. There's going to be guys that are 6'2-6'6" guarding him and they will be quick enough to guard him plus will have major length on him. Some of those shots he gets off over PG's may not happen at SG. But a lot of people doubted that he could play PG at a Big Ten school so he's proved people wrong before...

And it doesn't solve the single biggest problem with the roster. The fact that they can't, or more accurately, don't play defense.

I see a guy who's been to 3 NCAA's and an NIT in the last 5 and I agree with his assessment. Aint many schools gonna punch his clock that quickly.

You agree with Fran that Doc was out of line to ask that question? Wow you really have a thing for Fran!

I might be wrong but I think moving a 6ft PG to the wing would end up being a mistake especially when there's no other major outside shooter to take some pressure off. There's going to be guys that are 6'2-6'6" guarding him and they will be quick enough plus will have major length on him. Some of those shots he gets off over PG's may not happen at SG. But a lot of people doubted that he could play PG at a Big Ten school so he's proved people wrong before...

Just to throw a little historical example here, Brody Boyd played his best basketball when he moved to the shooting guard spot and he was 5'11".

Just to throw a little historical example here, Brody Boyd played his best basketball when he moved to the shooting guard spot and he was 5'11".

Yep, you can always find exception. Plus that was 15yrs ago. Athletes have changed. Historically, you won't find great SG's that are 5'11 or 6'. As I mentioned, you also have to look at who is around him. JBo and Cook are the primary scorers. Boyd was never that. He was on teams that had Worley, Reiner, Henderson, Recker, Evans, Pierce, Horner and Bruner.

Williams was not a B1G caliber player and he transferred to a horrible mid major program. Stop making excuses for them it's tiresome to read over and over. .

That's not an excuse, that's exactly what happened. Doesn't mean it was ok.

Williams was not a B1G caliber player, no argument. But let's not act like he wouldn't have at least helped this team a little. Let's also not act like Connor wouldn't have helped this team, at least a little. That's what tiresome. The fact that we can't even have a conversation about ANYTHING on this site without you 2 coming in and dowsing it with gasoline.

Williams was not a B1G caliber player. You're aware of that I hope.

I am ... who is debating that? I don't think if Williams stays, Iowa suddenly wins 20 games, but when you saw how depleted we were at the 1, how much energy our PG had to extend and with 0 other options for ball handlers, you have to understand ANYONE would have made a little bit of a difference.

It's got nothing to do with what Fran's plan or Connor's plan is. It's the perception of the prospect that matters and what other coaches are telling that prospect. Connor could be playing baseball only. Fran could be telling recruits that Connor is playing baseball only. If the prospect doesn't believe it, that's all that matters. It sucks if it's happening but sometimes, perception = reality for us.

agree 100% with that. It's all about perception, and Connor being on the team I am sure works against him. That doesn't mean that they aren't trying. It's a ridiculous claim frankly. Iowa is out looking for guards right now, I don't know how anyone thinks otherwise.

I'm not one to judge other parents, but if Fran cares more about job security than building a good team around his kids, I'd be surprised and disappointed. That would be messed up to be ok sitting behind your huge buyout instead of wanting your kids to play on good teams. Not to mention he should care more about his legacy. I'm surprised anyone has the opinion that Fran doesn't care to improve his team.