Brady Ellingson Commits to Iowa

I wouldn't call it drastic, no. And don't forget that he played almost twice as much in his sophomore year.

His KenPom offensive rating went from 88.7 to 107.8, his assist rate from 13.8% to 24.0% while decreasing his TO rate from 17% to 15.6%. So he played over 10 minutes more per game, played much more efficiently in a larger role and went from a line of 5.7/2.4/1.3 to 11.5/3.8/3.6 and his true shooting percentage went from 43.3 to 52.1. If that's not significant improvement, I have no idea what you classify as drastic improvement.

Guys, this whole comparing ourselves to ISU thing is just plain STUPID...

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison. We'll be fielding a team that returns all five starters, they're fielding a team that returns two. Our success depends on our existing players' ability to improve, theirs depends on Hoiberg's ability to get three new guys to play well together. I'm optimistic that we'll get better, but we haven't seen drastic year-to-year improvement from any one player under Fran; I think we'll get more wins, but it may have more to do with the Big Ten taking a step back from last year.

Hoiberg's proven that he can take a new team that's never played together to the Big Dance, and he's done it twice in a row now. There's no reason to think that he can't do it again this year, but it's a totally different scenario than what we're facing, so the comparison is just dumb. We need our returning players to improve more than they improved last year, bottom line. Hopefully it happens.

Two years ago we were awful at D, last year we were good. Last year we couldn't hit a 3, this year we will be improved (that alone will lead to more wins). Combine that with natural player progression, plus adding 2 new players and this team is gonna be better once again this year (as Fran's teams have improved every year)

While Hoiberg has taken teams that haven't played together to the Dance the last 2 years, don't confuse those teams with this one. The players he rode to the Dance the previous 2 years were all legit high level D1 players (White, Christopherson, Allen, Babb, Lucious, McGee, Clyburn). That is NOT what he has coming in to his program now. He has Kane, who is legit, but the others are JUCO players who were not highly sought after, or FR.

I think ISU would be wise to take notes from the football program this year. ISU is a 50/50 shot to make the Dance this year, so they shouldn't act like they are world beaters.

Two years ago we were awful at D, last year we were good. Last year we couldn't hit a 3, this year we will be improved (that alone will lead to more wins). Combine that with natural player progression, plus adding 2 new players and this team is gonna be better once again this year (as Fran's teams have improved every year)

While Hoiberg has taken teams that haven't played together to the Dance the last 2 years, don't confuse those teams with this one. The players he rode to the Dance the previous 2 years were all legit high level D1 players (White, Christopherson, Allen, Babb, Lucious, McGee, Clyburn). That is NOT what he has coming in to his program now. He has Kane, who is legit, but the others are JUCO players who were not highly sought after, or FR.

I think ISU would be wise to take notes from the football program this year. ISU is a 50/50 shot to make the Dance this year, so they shouldn't act like they are world beaters.

Be honest, were you heaping this much praise on ISU's transfers before the last two seasons?

I doubt it. Most of us (self included) thought it was a desperate attempt at jump-starting their program after McDermott ran it into the ground. White, Allen, and Lucious were all written off as head-cases. Babb was an underutilized player from Penn State, one of the worst basketball programs in the country. People said Clyburn's numbers were due to him playing in a soft leauge (like what some are saying about Kane). Christopherson hadn't played a game for Marquette, and was ho-hum under McDermott before Hoiberg got him to flourish. And McGee was a JUCO player!

If there's one lesson I've learned about criticizing Hoiberg, it's not to question his ability to identify talent and get the most out of it. But my whole point is that's not our situation. It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Be honest, were you heaping this much praise on ISU's transfers before the last two seasons?

I doubt it. Most of us (self included) thought it was a desperate attempt at jump-starting their program after McDermott ran it into the ground. White, Allen, and Lucious were all written off as head-cases. Babb was an underutilized player from Penn State, one of the worst basketball programs in the country. People said Clyburn's numbers were due to him playing in a soft leauge (like what some are saying about Kane). Christopherson hadn't played a game for Marquette, and was ho-hum under McDermott before Hoiberg got him to flourish. And McGee was a JUCO player!

If there's one lesson I've learned about criticizing Hoiberg, it's not to question his ability to identify talent and get the most out of it. But my whole point is that's not our situation. It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I was highly critical of the transfer strategy, not because of the talent, but because I felt one of them would flake out (White) and ruin the whole strategy. I have also praised Hoiberg with the results he has gotten the last two year, he took a chance and it paid off.

All of that is irrelevant, as I am strictly looking at the talent of the players on the team from 2 years ago, last year, and now. The talent level of Scotty, White, Allen, Lucious, Babb, Clyburn, and McGee is much greater than Kane, 2 JUCO's and 3 FR.

White was a risk that turned into a home run for ISU. The other four transfers (Clyburn, Allen, Luscious, and Babb) were pretty much exactly the same player they were at the previous school.

Clyburn's offensive rating his last year at Utah was 107.6, it was 107.5 at ISU. Chris Babb's offensive rating his last year at Penn St was 112.5 it was 111.4 his first year at ISU. Allen's offensive rating his last two years at MSU was 101.4 and 109.8, it was 101.8 his yeat at ISU.

Hoiberg has done a great job of picking up talent, but none of these players have shown much improvement under Hoiberg. They were already solid players before they came to ISU.

What is hilarious is to listen to ISU fan say that Iowa only has come good "role players": Marble 3rd team all BIG, White honorable mention all BIG....

All the while they actually think they are filled with "star players" Ejim 3rd team all Big 12 and Niang all big 12 rookie (NOT 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team or honorable mention all Big 12).

The reality is they LOST All Big 12 performers Clyburn, Lucious, McGee, and Babb.....and Thomas, Morris and Kane AREN'T going to be replacing that kind of production that was lost. ISU fan is completely delusional this season. They actually think they are a better team than Iowa is, which every single publication is going to disagree with.
Let me know when preseason rankings mean something, we were picked 8th the Big 12 the last two years and we all saw how that turned out.

Let me know when preseason rankings mean something, we were picked 8th the Big 12 the last two years and we all saw how that turned out.

You are right, preseason rankings mean nothing on where the teams will finish. I am pointing out that most people expect good things for Iowa, and see the team much much differently than what Clown fans see.

Dustin Hogue - Yahoo! Sports Not highly sought after?

And those 3 FR are top 125 players.

Home team won 9 of last 10, home court is huge in basketball.

No denying that. But judging the relative quality of each team according to the outcomes of games against common opponents played in different environments at different times of the year certainly isn't a better measure.

I will take a 50/50 shot at the Big Dance in a rebuilding year all day, every day. Out of curiosity, what do you think Iowa's percentage is this year?

Dustin Hogue - Yahoo! Sports Not highly sought after?

And those 3 FR are top 125 players.

Hogue is not even in the same league as other ISU transfers. Like 33 said, Ellingson says hi with the Mizzou offer as well.

Those FR are FR, they are not kids who have all played starter minutes for D1 schools, there is a learning curve. You have a few nice recruits, but lets not confuse them with the Vaughn's or the world, or even top 50 kids. They are all like 80-125 kids.

I think ISU is much better next year than this year. Fred has pushed the time line back with all the transfer instead of going with HS recruits right away. This is the year he is starting to switch it over, and the future will be bright for them with Thomas, Morris, SDG, Custer coming in next year along with Cunningham?? and maybe a big fish in Vaughn?? I'm telling you right now, this year is the transition year, and they aren't going to be as good as many Clown fans think it will, I think it is 50/50 at best they make the NCAA.

I will take a 50/50 shot at the Big Dance in a rebuilding year all day, every day. Out of curiosity, what do you think Iowa's percentage is this year?

70-80% The only reason they don't would be injuries, which can happen to anyone (Kentucky...cough, cough). If they stay healthy, there is ZERO reason they shouldn't make the NCAA's with a good seed at that.

I felt Iowa was about a 50/50 shot last year, and they missed out.

Hogue is not even in the same league as other ISU transfers. Like 33 said, Ellingson says hi with the Mizzou offer as well.

Those FR are FR, they are not kids who have all played starter minutes for D1 schools, there is a learning curve. You have a few nice recruits, but lets not confuse them with the Vaughn's or the world, or even top 50 kids. They are all like 80-125 kids.

I think ISU is much better next year than this year. Fred has pushed the time line back with all the transfer instead of going with HS recruits right away. This is the year he is starting to switch it over, and the future will be bright for them with Thomas, Morris, SDG, Custer coming in next year along with Cunningham?? and maybe a big fish in Vaughn?? I'm telling you right now, this year is the transition year, and they aren't going to be as good as many Clown fans think it will, I think it is 50/50 at best they make the NCAA.

Matt Thomas - Yahoo! Sports 54
Scout.com: Men's Basketball Recruiting 58

Latest posts