Arizona State's Trent Lockett

You copy it by proactively recruiting these kids like you do incoming freshmen, vetting them extensively, drawing on previous recruitment and relationships with coaches, etc.

I guess I'm not sure it was luck. There were something like 50 schools pursuing Royce. Is it luck that he picked ISU? He's credited Fred's experience and personality.

Proactively recruiting another school's players is frowned upon by the NCAA.

A big part of it, yes. Royce couldn't transfer to another B10 school without sitting out an extra year, he was scared to fly to Kentucky, ISU happened to be in a great location for him. Same for the MSU guys. Clyburn already had ties to Iowa.

Royce could have driven to any number of schools, and would have flown anywhere if he had time to process it.

Clyburn had ties to ISU from being recruited by them, which is not luck, it's using relationships and connections.

You copy it by proactively recruiting these kids like you do incoming freshmen, vetting them extensively, drawing on previous recruitment and relationships with coaches, etc.

I guess I'm not sure it was luck. There were something like 50 schools pursuing Royce. Is it luck that he picked ISU? He's credited Fred's experience and personality.

I think you misunderstood him. Sure, Fred brought in a lot of transfers. But what would he have done if , for instance, Lucious/Allen/Babb elected to stay where they were? He was lucky that there were so many guys available. And you can't really plan for that, because you don't know who's going to be on the market next.

So schools are going to leave scholarships open into late March with the hope that multiple players who fit their needs are just going to happen to transfer? That sounds slightly risky.

Plenty of transfers every year. You said yourself it's nothing new.

I think you misunderstood him. Sure, Fred brought in a lot of transfers. But what would he have done if , for instance, Lucious/Allen/Babb elected to stay where they were? He was lucky that there were so many guys available. And you can't really plan for that, because you don't know who's going to be on the market next.

There are always guys available, and there seem to be more every year. Take this year... the Sweet Sixteen hasn't even started and Lockett, Oriakhi, and Smotryckhghjhhh are already available.

There are always guys available, and there seem to be more every year. Take this year... the Sweet Sixteen hasn't even started and Lockett, Oriakhi, and Smotryckhghjhhh are already available.

The fact that you really believe there are coaches out there who are planing on turning their teams around by bringing in nothing but D-1 transfers cracks me up.

The fact that you really believe there are coaches out there who are planing on turning their teams around by bringing in nothing but D-1 transfers cracks me up.

Nothing but? No. Turn their team around with a couple key transfers? Absolutely. If you don't believe that you haven't been paying attention to college basketball the past 10 years.

A big part of it, yes. Royce couldn't transfer to another B10 school without sitting out an extra year, he was scared to fly to Kentucky, ISU happened to be in a great location for him. Same for the MSU guys. Clyburn already had ties to Iowa.

Clyburn's tie to Iowa was TJ. He's from Detroit and went to Marshalltown CC. I doubt the draw of Marshalltown brought him full circle to Iowa.

TJ built a relationship 2 years ago.

The kid is from Golden Valley, MN which is a suburb on the NW side of Minneapolis. If the kid doesn't end up at Minny I will be shocked.

Minny is only losing Sampson to graduation from this years squad.

Last edited:
So Todd Lickliter must have had a LOT of transfers on his roster right?

UK, UNC, KU, etc. should probably stop taking all of those 1 and dones and 2 and dones right?

LOL, what are you talking about?

I was simply stating a fact that when you bring in a high number of players that dont have 4 years of eligibility left you are going to have more roster turnover.

Not sure how you read anything else into it.

This is generally the reason coaches don't bring in allot of transfers if they can help it.

The kid is from Golden Valley, MN which is a suburb on the NW side of Minneapolis. If the kid doesn't end up at Minny I will be shocked.

Minny is only losing Sampson to graduation from this years squad.

Minny also has all 13 schollys accounted for...if they wanted to try for a medical redshirt for Mbakwe they would have to cut someone out of their scholly....and for Lockett...same deal.

Iowa has an open scholly for next year...we are still probably a longshot but I doubt that Lockett will want to pay his own way.

LOL, what are you talking about?

I was simply stating a fact that when you bring in a high number of players that dont have 4 years of eligibility left you are going to have more roster turnover.

Not sure how you read anything else into it.

This is generally the reason coaches don't bring in allot of transfers if they can help it.

I'm saying there is bad turnover when its uncontrolled (Lick). And there is good turnover (UK for example).

Latest posts