Arizona State's Trent Lockett

Sledge is transferring, its official.
That leaves ISU with 13 guys on scholly at this point for next year.
They have 3 shooting guards coming in next year,and Niang.
That gives them 7 guys for the 2-3 wing positions right now.
I doubt that Lockett would want to be the 8th...or that Freddy would want an 8th.

We'll actually be at 12, so one is open. We really only have McGee and incoming recruit SDW as true 2's. We have Babb and Clyburn that are wings and have the ability to play the 2, but we could still probably use Lockett.

However, from a spacing standpoint, I'm not sure this is the best thing for us. We already lose Clyburn, Lucious, Booker, Babb and McGee next year. If you add in Lockett, then you pretty much have to take at least 2 Juco's or immediate transfers for 2013. If you bring in 5-6 HS players, along with a roster of mostly SO's then you're going to take some lumps in 2013.

I'm kind of torn on it to tell you the truth. We really could use a post player first and foremost for next year where we'll miss that guy that can bang down low.

We'll actually be at 12, so one is open. We really only have McGee and incoming recruit SDW as true 2's. We have Babb and Clyburn that are wings and have the ability to play the 2, but we could still probably use Lockett.

However, from a spacing standpoint, I'm not sure this is the best thing for us. We already lose Clyburn, Lucious, Booker, Babb and McGee next year. If you add in Lockett, then you pretty much have to take at least 2 Juco's or immediate transfers for 2013. If you bring in 5-6 HS players, along with a roster of mostly SO's then you're going to take some lumps in 2013.

I'm kind of torn on it to tell you the truth. We really could use a post player first and foremost for next year where we'll miss that guy that can bang down low.

I am sure Fred would have no issues taking on more transfers next year if you guys do land Lockett this year and have all those guys gone at once, he has shown zero fear in taking transfers over incoming HS players so far so why change? :)

I am sure Fred would have no issues taking on more transfers next year if you guys do land Lockett this year and have all those guys gone at once, he has shown zero fear in taking transfers over incoming HS players so far so why change? :)

I agree that Fred will have no problem doing that but I'm not sure this is the best strategy. On one hand you obviously want to win now. I get that. If we took a post player that can bang down low and Lockett, it's safe to say we'd challenge for the top 4 spots in the B12 and make the tourney most likely. It would be hard to turn away a 13ppg guy from a major conference (who is a SR and can play right away).

But, then you have to re-load some on transfers the following year just to stabilize your depth/maturity. It can be a cycle that may not always work out like it has so far. I'm not talking even about kids having problems once they get to Ames. HS kids may grow weary of getting recruited over. Obviously that happens at all top shelf programs, but good recruits often come to a program like ISU because they know they can contribute from day one and they likely won't get recruited over.

Ok,I forgot about White leaving for the NBA,so yes, the departure of Sledge opens up another scholly for Lockett or Oriahki or whoever.

At some point, is the ISU administration uncomfortable with the NBDL feel of the bb program,populated with many rent-a-players? I mean, it seems like the BB program is almost like a club team,just with corporate sponsorship by ISU,doesn't it?

I could see Freddy's initial crisis management approach to filling the roster but at some point it becomes what your program is...ie..just a bb factory with fans rooting for laundry as the roster turns over annually? How much fan identification can be nurtured with guys like Luscious,Clyburn, Allen, White and potentially Lockett? It is one thing to occasionally have a transfer,but a whole starting team of one and doners? Yikes.

Ok,I forgot about White leaving for the NBA,so yes, the departure of Sledge opens up another scholly for Lockett or Oriahki or whoever.

At some point, is the ISU administration uncomfortable with the NBDL feel of the bb program,populated with many rent-a-players? I mean, it seems like the BB program is almost like a club team,just with corporate sponsorship by ISU,doesn't it?

I could see Freddy's initial crisis management approach to filling the roster but at some point it becomes what your program is...ie..just a bb factory with fans rooting for laundry as the roster turns over annually? How much fan identification can be nurtured with guys like Luscious,Clyburn, Allen, White and potentially Lockett? It is one thing to occasionally have a transfer,but a whole starting team of one and doners? Yikes.

if the transfers stay out of trouble and play like they did this season, I'm pretty sure ISU will support the Mayor regardless of how he gets his talent.

Make the NCAA tourney on the reg and guess how many people besides Hawk fans think like your above post. Actually, guess how many people think that even if they don't make the tourney every year.

Your exalted position on the topic is commendable but foolish. This is a business, not a non-profit.

Those "basketball factories" are usually the ones winning a ton of games and putting kids in the NBA at a high rate, I highly doubt the ISU fans would be angry about that. Last I checked, people have a tendency to root for the jersey first, player second unless of course they are related in some way.

In regards to "nurturing fan identification", first off, what the ****. Second, I think White did just fine with that.

Last edited:
Make the NCAA tourney on the reg and guess how many people besides Hawk fans think like your above post. Actually, guess how many people think that even if they don't make the tourney every year.

Your exalted position on the topic is commendable but foolish. This is a business, not a non-profit.

Actually, technically, it IS a non-profit.

I'm sure Kentucky administration feels the same way with all their one and dones. NCAA is different than it use to be. Players are transferring in and out of universities at an unheard of rate. You either accept it and use it to your advantage like Fred has done or you try and fight it and lose like Greg did.

As others have said, the fans will support it if the wins come. Based on where we've been recently (the basement) most Clone fans are pumped regardless.

I think most people understand that ISU will have to take some bigger chances to get good players. We won't ever be able to hang our hat on a roster full of 4/5 stars that have 3.0 gpa's ala Duke. We have to get a little more creative.

Now that ISU has gotten rid of two scholarships...er, I mean two players have "asked to be released from their scholarship" I think ISU is likely the frontrunner for Lockett.

Whether the Hawks get Lockett or not this is the kind of a transfer many of us are hoping for with the 1 remaining ship.

To me a transfer that would have to sit out next season is not worth the offer, unless that player has unmatched skills.

Go after these transfers that can play right away or go after a top JUCO. If you miss bank it.

Now that ISU has gotten rid of two scholarships...er, I mean two players have "asked to be released from their scholarship" I think ISU is likely the frontrunner for Lockett.

Agree. I knew Sledge wouldn't be back months ago. Railey leaving was a surprise to nobody.

JBoneCapone will surely be missed for his goofy demeanor at the end of the bench. Truly no other 6'11" center can hack an opposing teams guard 70 feet from the hoop then run down the court with his hands above his head in total confusion like our beloved JRailz.

He is Marquette bound.

Figured this is what would happen. From what I have heard he was waiting for Minnesota to open up a spot for him, and if that didn't happen he would sign with Marquette. Iowa State was never really in the picture.

Latest posts