Arizona State's Trent Lockett

Re: Here's an item from the QC Times last summer..

Brenner: McCaffery, colleagues despise post-grad transfer

Very rich that Izzo and Weber opposed the rule, but not so much that each of them turned down adding a graduate-transfer this year. Wood, especially, for MSU has been very valuable now that they lost a prominent wing player to injury.

Every coach can rationalize why accepting a player who has graduated but is eligible right away is right for their school. Weber did so by pointing to Manascalso's "special" situation and Izzo did by saying he "handled it the right way."

Simple solution to the problem. If a student/athlete is truly interested in continuing with a graduate degree (either at his current school or another one with a graduate degree he's interested in), let the school pay for a fifth year of school, but he's not eligible to play sports.

There is nothing contradictory about opposing a loophole in theory while still taking advantage of it if the opportunity presents itself.

You would be a fool not to.

Why are you guys so excited for this guy? He claims he wants to play close to home, and Golden Valley is 10 miles from TCF bank stadium. He'll either be a gopher or a liar.

I am not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. He either said he wants to be closer to home, which wouldnt make him a liar unless he went to a school further away from Minneapolis. Or he said he wanted to be "close" to home, which is pretty open to interpretation. Had he said he wanted to be closest to home and still play DI basketball I think you may have something here. However, he did not. Minnesota is the obviously choice as it is the closest, but not the only DI school that is "close" or "closer".

I will end this by saying it is pretty damn classy to get on a forum and create the idea that its possible a student athlete transferring schools to be closer to his dying mother is a liar. Someone you have never met, nor know anything about.

The Clowns fans are getting pretty cocky on this board. It's going to be pretty entertaining when this transfer method comes back to bite them on the @ss.

Other than Royce White, Chris Allen, Chris Baab, and Anthony Booker, which ones were thugs?

White is the only one with a record.

Babb has never been in trouble nor has Booker. I'm sure Allen was tossed for smoking a little to much

Bottom line is that the transfer experiment has worked, and worked well. You will see other programs copying it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fred takes another transfer or two for next year.

LOL. You Clone fans really think Fred was the first coach to ever take a transfer, don't you?

Go look at Huggins early teams at Cincy or some of Tark's teams at UNLV. They made a living on bringing in transfers. It's nothing new.

LOL. You Clone fans really think Fred was the first coach to ever take a transfer, don't you?

Go look at Huggins early teams at Cincy or some of Tark's teams at UNLV. They made a living on bringing in transfers. It's nothing new.

Did they bring in 6 non-Juco transfers on one roster?

Mebbe so, but the way you all were deriding the strategy, it sure seemed novel.

Off the top of my head, generally more potential academic issues, and risk of not panning out due to level of competition.

So if a coach is trying to copy Hoiberg by taking transfers is he going to actively tamper with opposing school's players? Otherwise how else is a coach going to plan to copy him with only taking D-1 transfers?

Fred just got lucky that there happened to be a high number of quality players from the upper midwest transferring. It was more luck than some kind of grand plan.

So if a coach is trying to copy Hoiberg by taking transfers is he going to actively tamper with opposing school's players? Otherwise how else is a coach going to plan to copy him with only taking D-1 transfers?

Fred just got lucky that there happened to be a high number of quality players from the upper midwest transferring. It was more luck than some kind of grand plan.

You copy it by proactively recruiting these kids like you do incoming freshmen, vetting them extensively, drawing on previous recruitment and relationships with coaches, etc.

I guess I'm not sure it was luck. There were something like 50 schools pursuing Royce. Is it luck that he picked ISU? He's credited Fred's experience and personality.

You copy it by proactively recruiting these kids like you do incoming freshmen, vetting them extensively, drawing on previous recruitment and relationships with coaches, etc.

I guess I'm not sure it was luck. There were something like 50 schools pursuing Royce. Is it luck that he picked ISU? He's credited Fred's experience and personality.

A big part of it, yes. Royce couldn't transfer to another B10 school without sitting out an extra year, he was scared to fly to Kentucky, ISU happened to be in a great location for him. Same for the MSU guys. Clyburn already had ties to Iowa.

Latest posts