Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call Rob. I was just about ready to send you a message as UIHawk82 wanted to start some discussion about the climate change aspects. Many of us believe the Green Movement is simply another new religion. I have nothing against freedom of religion, and I'm actually very green, but you mentioned yesterday we should keep religion out of this thread.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/25725-green-religion

You can't deny some of what is happening. Look at your own night sky. And it is pandemic related.

Let's get back on topic, folks. This isn't supposed to be a catch-all thread for social topics. I let it stray from time to time as there are layers to the current pandemic, but you guys are going a little too far down another road. Thanks.
You have. To admit the economic impact of covid is hitting the lower economic wrung hardest. Most of us at higher income jobs can work from home. Tyson and service type jobs are getting clobbered.

You can't deny some of what is happening. Look at your own night sky. And it is pandemic related.
I'm not denying it. Mother nature also has the capability to pollute ... it's actually quite common.

Rob, I will save my best powder until we hear back from you.

"WATERLOO, Iowa (KWWL) -- Tyson Fresh Meats is indefinitely suspending operations at its Waterloo pork plant this week.

Tyson Foods made the announcement Wednesday.

The facility, which is the company's largest pork plant, has been running at reduced levels of production because workers have been absent, according to Tyson Foods.

In an exclusive news release sent to the KWWL newsroom, Tyson said it will stop production mid-week until further notice.

The facility's 2,800 workers will be invited to go to the plant later this week for COVID-19 testing.

Group president of Tyson Fresh Meats, Steve Stouffer, released a statement:

"Protecting our team members is our top priority and the reason we've implemented numerous safety measures during this challenging and unprecedented time. Despite our continued efforts to keep our people safe while fulfilling our critical role of feeding American families, the combination of worker absenteeism, COVID-19 cases and community concerns has resulted in our decision to stop production. The closure has significant ramifications beyond our company, since the plant is part of a larger supply chain that includes hundreds of independent farmers, truckers, distributors and customers, including grocers. It means the loss of a vital market outlet for farmers and further contributes to the disruption of the nation’s pork supply."

According to Tyson, Waterloo workers who have been affected will continue to be compensated while the plant is closed.

Re-opening the facility will depend on different factors, including the outcome of employee COVID-19 testing.

Tyson said their other meat and poultry plants currently continue to operate, but some are running at reduced levels of production due to "the planned implementation of additional worker safety precautions or worker absenteeism."

I'm not trying to make you feel bad for being a banker. I threw in my profession in the same sentence so included us both. My point is that some people have to work in trades and there are plenty of jobs in trades because individuals aren't working in them as much anymore. Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) has a couple really nice talks about this dilemma.

You have done a number of jobs and seem like a very well rounded individual, and objective. I would not harp on you for working hard in finance or end up being a banker.

I harp on millennials as kind of a joke, but let's be blatantly honest, the younger generation is quite different now. Yes, it's just evolution, but there are a lot of nincompoops running around. I admit, I'm probably a bit too hard on the millennials and making generalizations. I shouldn't sacrifice them for a quick joke or laugh, but I find the term mellennials or classification of them funny.
I wasn't necessarily referring to you, you said those who grew up with a PS4 controller in their hand who would only be 7 years old at most. There is such an audible outcry of people who can't stand millennials and cop out by just calling them lazy. That is completely disingenuous. As somebody who frequently researches management techniques, the word is still out on them. You said it best by saying "the younger generation is quite different now". This is absolutely correct. The research shows that most of them are very hard working, no less than other generations, are excited to learn new skills and willing to put in the time and effort to acquire them.

The biggest issue is that we just don't really know how they fit in our economy, they have been burdened more with student debt and the resulting job prospects more than any generation previously. Many would say that they have an entitlement issue, but it's not their attitude, is the lack of understanding in the way that they are managed which is the problem.

I would agree that trade schools are a great way to acquire a good technical skill and make a good living. The problem is that most parents and most of society are not recommending these to high school kids - it's almost expected that they go to college. For most, the burden of debt and lack of prospects after one graduates is incredible. The value of a college degree has almost devalued to the equivalent of a high school degree 30-40 years ago.

To compare to previous generations who worked their way through school, here is a good article that points out the differences - the title could be less abrasive though:

Link

The last paragraph sums up my point precisely:

So maybe we older generations should stop complaining the kids don’t work hard enough and think about the direction we’re pushing them. It may be the wrong one.

Ree 4 I hope everything is going good for your family. Sports is outlet family is life
Thanks for the concern :) He's 9 years old now and is in great shape, he's a really smart kid and absorbs almost everything he hears. He's pretty flaky at times but I think of him as more of an artist type mind where his brain is filled with creative ideas, instead of the science and analytical type mind that I have.

Our family is is good shape right now despite the obstacles we have faced, but I'm sure many others have faced larger. Of course the whole reason for this thread is that that could change very quickly :(

I'll give you mental health. Most of the others might be reasons people are lazy, but lazy is still the reason they don't have a job. As far as race goes, ambitious black people aren't living in poverty, for the most part. Really what I should have said is there are two reasons people live in poverty. Laziness and intelligence level. A huge majority of the poverty fall into that category.

Come on man. If someone grows up to be lazy because they didn't have a dad, they are going to be poor because of their laziness. Not because of their lack of a dad.
People are a product of their environments. If we (society) give people a shitty environment it's not surprising many of them do not turn out to be successful.

Laziness and not having a dad are two different things. One is a trait, one is a cause/environmental characteristic. The environment you grew up in is mostly responsible for developing traits.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you, you said those who grew up with a PS4 controller in their hand who would only be 7 years old at most. There is such an audible outcry of people who can't stand millennials and cop out by just calling them lazy. That is completely disingenuous. As somebody who frequently researches management techniques, the word is still out on them. You said it best by saying "the younger generation is quite different now". This is absolutely correct. The research shows that most of them are very hard working, no less than other generations, are excited to learn new skills and willing to put in the time and effort to acquire them.

The biggest issue is that we just don't really know how they fit in our economy, they have been burdened more with student debt and the resulting job prospects more than any generation previously. Many would say that they have an entitlement issue, but it's not their attitude, is the lack of understanding in the way that they are managed which is the problem.

I would agree that trade schools are a great way to acquire a good technical skill and make a good living. The problem is that most parents and most of society are not recommending these to high school kids - it's almost expected that they go to college. For most, the burden of debt and lack of prospects after one graduates is incredible. The value of a college degree has almost devalued to the equivalent of a high school degree 30-40 years ago.

To compare to previous generations who worked their way through school, here is a good article that points out the differences - the title could be less abrasive though:

Link

The last paragraph sums up my point precisely:

So maybe we older generations should stop complaining the kids don’t work hard enough and think about the direction we’re pushing them. It may be the wrong one.

You are quite intriguing and obviously quite knowledgeable on many of these kinds of socioeconomic topics. I'll take your word. I agree with pretty much this entire post. I agree with the younger generation it's more they don't understand more than just being aloof or lazy. I mean if they don't even know they are to understand or what to understand, how will they understand?

More testing is always going to skew the situation when adding up numbers. Did the situation really change or are we just recognizing more people now thru testing? It can be deceiving. We've seen it in Iowa now with testing going on in more work plants. The numbers are going up, but does that mean the disease is actually increasing. Not necessarily. We could of always had this many people running around with COVID and probably have.
Because of that, you have to look at the percentage of positive tests instead of the number of positive tests. That's how you know if it's getting better or worse.

Welders can made some great $$$ to if they are good.

I have 13 yr old boys and I worry they aren't going to learn their way around a garage. I've tried to invite them around me when I'm doing projects. Heck, I even tried to have them watch when I had to change one of THEIR bike tires but they were uninterested. I think they could pump their tires up now, but to be honest, I think they'd have to think about it.
I just don't see them being an overall handyman that could take care of their crap when older. One of the boys has helped with repairing the toilet on a couple occasions as well as helping to swap out our kitchen faucet ounce.

They can sure run their phones and PS4 though. I will have to work harder going forward to help. I'm afraid I'm raising a couple nimcumpoops.

I don't see millennials jumping in the "trades". Everybody want easy now and many don't want to get up early.
My dad was a mechanic his whole life, a MacGyver of sorts - that intuition skipped me. I'm more of the engineer/planner type. He helped me lay some wood floor in my last house and while I was busy measuring things and making a diagram, he just jumped in and started doing it. Both are effective I think. Thankfully there is a youtube video for almost everything and as long as they can utilize resources to figure things out, they should be fine :)

Good call Rob. I was just about ready to send you a message as UIHawk82 wanted to start some discussion about the climate change aspects. Many of us believe the Green Movement is simply another new religion. I have nothing against freedom of religion, and I'm actually very green, but you mentioned yesterday we should keep religion out of this thread.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/25725-green-religion
LOL Green Religion? Hahaha. Shirley, you can't be serious. At least try to find a balanced source if you're going to link it ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_American

Last edited:

This one hurts a bit but it's a necessary closure. I can understand why the Governor was hesitant to close this plant as they are a major meat producer but health is more important.

I'll buy meat from local farmers if I need too. I probably should be doing that anyway.

Granted there is low humidity but the stars were amazing last night. Less pollution.

Not sure where you live but the light pollution, even around a city and suburbs like Des Moines where I live, has pretty much washed out all the stars each nite except maybe about 30 brightest. I have had small to ever bigger telescopes since I was 8 years old. I have had an 8 inch reflector for 45 years that I used to be able to use to see deep space objects by star hopping around dimmer stars. But no more as I can't even hardly aim it to find objects so I hardly ever use it.

And now there are so many great images online from space telescopes, other huge telescopes etc that I can look up about anything.

You have. To admit the economic impact of covid is hitting the lower economic wrung hardest. Most of us at higher income jobs can work from home. Tyson and service type jobs are getting clobbered.
A family member lost their girlfriend's father to Covid, it originated at a Tyson plant :(

Let's get back on topic, folks. This isn't supposed to be a catch-all thread for social topics. I let it stray from time to time as there are layers to the current pandemic, but you guys are going a little too far down another road. Thanks.
Whoop, obliged, just saw this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts