Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a study from China said the virus has already mutated at least 30 times and New York has mostly a more deadly strand from Europe circulating while the rest of the country has a less deadly strand.

Here's my question. If the virus is mutating so much, what's going to stop it from being another common issue like the flu, except more deadly? If there are so many variations already (like the flu) won't it be impossible to ever eradicate it? If we can't eradicate it or develope hurd immunity, won't we pretty much always have to deal with this forever? Just constantly guessing on a vaccine for the year and hoping to keep deaths down? It will only be a matter of time before it mutates into a way more deadly virus. Does anyone have any ideas as to how and why that won't happen?

I saw a study from China said the virus has already mutated at least 30 times and New York has mostly a more deadly strand from Europe circulating while the rest of the country has a less deadly strand.

Here's my question. If the virus is mutating so much, what's going to stop it from being another common issue like the flu, except more deadly? If there are so many variations already (like the flu) won't it be impossible to ever eradicate it? If we can't eradicate it or develope hurd immunity, won't we pretty much always have to deal with this forever? Just constantly guessing on a vaccine for the year and hoping to keep deaths down? It will only be a matter of time before it mutates into a way more deadly virus. Does anyone have any ideas as to how and why that won't happen?
My question is when they have a vaccine for this, will we have to get just one shot and that's it for as long as you live or will this be like a yearly shot that most get every September/October for the flu? That will suck if we have to get two shots per year, one for the flu and one for the Cornoavirus.

My dad was a mechanic his whole life, a MacGyver of sorts - that intuition skipped me. I'm more of the engineer/planner type. He helped me lay some wood floor in my last house and while I was busy measuring things and making a diagram, he just jumped in and started doing it. Both are effective I think. Thankfully there is a youtube video for almost everything and as long as they can utilize resources to figure things out, they should be fine :)

No crap, I view a lot of YouTube vids when doing projects or car work. They are going to be the generation that's just going to hire everything done. Both do well in school, but math/algebra definitely comes easier to one and he's in the advanced algebra. He's also the one who has helped more with the toilet or faucet.

My wife didn't grow up with a father or brothers who were very handy knowing how to do a lot of maintenance. Funny, but sometimes she looks at me as a God when I make something or fix something. I'm talking fairly simple crap. She's just not used to it or even realizes stuff that can be done or fixed. It's comical to me.

A family member lost their girlfriend's father to Covid, it originated at a Tyson plant :(

I manage a unit of 16. I lost one individual to COVID just Monday. About a week ago, I was on a call with one of our co-workers and commented that I didn't know one individual that even had COVID. Boy, it can sure change in a week. The person I lost was admitted just last Thursday.

My question is when they have a vaccine for this, will we have to get just one shot and that's it for as long as you live or will this be like a yearly shot that most get every September/October for the flu? That will suck if we have to get two shots per year, one for the flu and one for the Cornoavirus.

I'm going to guess yearly. We have to hope it doesn't mutate.

As I've mentioned before I work in the mental health field and like I said I find it fascinating. It amazes me in how different we all are and the fact that there are some that have have been through absolute hell and turn out what society would view as normal, and those that score considerably lower and their lives are ruined. The thing I take from it is focuses on the "what happened" as opposed to the "why" issue as if its something an individual has any type of control over.

I would say I have had a lot of trauma in my life up until age 20 or so and fit the bold statement. I had both parents growing up buy my mother passed away from breast CA when I was 14 yrs old. A couple other trauma events after that involving my sister and myself (life changing). It does mess you up at a young age, when looking back on it.

If my mother would have never been diagnosed or passed away from breast CA, we would have been the typical family. That just threw a wrench into everything.

As I've mentioned before I work in the mental health field and like I said I find it fascinating. It amazes me in how different we all are and the fact that there are some that have have been through absolute hell and turn out what society would view as normal, and those that score considerably lower and their lives are ruined. The thing I take from it is focuses on the "what happened" as opposed to the "why" issue as if its something an individual has any type of control over.

Disassociation is a heck of a drug. Like a lot of people I stuffed it and went along in life trying really hard until I couldn't. It was like getting hit by a very loud train I didn't know was coming as I ignored the locomotive engine running and horns Sometimes the worse it is the better we can dissociate... known as stuffing it down. Some do drugs. Some alcohol. Others bad life choices. Adrenaline was my drug. Show me a hard charging ruthless female exec and you are likely looking at a child abuse victim. Others just crumble from the start. For me it was so long and everyday, I learned to never show fear or weakness but be amazingly calm. It was pervasive. I have done things like intervened in an attempted abduction and taken on out of control cops. Accident scenes I take the lead as everything slows down in my mind. To be frank it's not normal nor is it healthy.

This crisis is leaving a lot of kids and abused spouses in more contact with their abusers.

Last edited:
"(KWWL) -- The Iowa Department of Public Health is reporting 107 new cases of COVID-19 in Iowa and seven additional deaths, according to the state's coronavirus map.

• 107 new positive cases in Iowa, 3,748 total
  • Seven additional deaths, 90 total deaths (51% in long-term care facilities)
  • 522 new negative cases, 24,496 total negative cases
  • 28,244 total people tested
  • 1,428 confirmed cases recovered (38%)
  • 11 total long-term care facility outbreaks"
Looks like the positive cases are down, which is of course a good thing. Hopefully that trend continues. Usually it's been about an 8-10% increase per day from what I've noticed.

I am probably too naive on the topic of global warming. I know we as humans put a lot of carbon dioxide into the air. I know that carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere. I know that temps have risen world wide. At that point, I kind of relaxed and stopped arguing with deniers.

There are people who are deniers and then there are people who acknowledge climate change but don't think it's as doomsday-like as climate change advocates do or think we need such draconian steps to solve it.

But back to the pandemic. Dr. Fauci said up to 50% of people who have COVID are asymptomatic and these are the people who are spreading it. If true, we're in deep trouble.

Got a question for you all:

Wife and I are still collecting paychecks during all this (I work remotely, she works for Iowa City School District and is getting paid at least through end of normal school year). We have 2 school-age children. The ICCSD just sent out a message to all parents encouraging us to stop by the schools to collect lunches for our kids (free of charge). They want everyone to do this, whether it is needed or not, because it allows the school district to get more money.

Classic "No such thing as a free lunch" scenario. We benefit by doing this because it cuts our grocery bill. The school benefits from doing this (so they say). But the money is coming from somewhere (taxpayers).

I am in the "doesn't seem right" camp, and wife is in the, "it helps the schools" camp. What say you?

No crap, I view a lot of YouTube vids when doing projects or car work. They are going to be the generation that's just going to hire everything done. Both do well in school, but math/algebra definitely comes easier to one and he's in the advanced algebra. He's also the one who has helped more with the toilet or faucet.

My wife didn't grow up with a father or brothers who were very handy knowing how to do a lot of maintenance. Funny, but sometimes she looks at me as a God when I make something or fix something. I'm talking fairly simple crap. She's just not used to it or even realizes stuff that can be done or fixed. It's comical to me.

My reason for hiring others to do simple tasks for me is that I don’t want to deprive them from making a good living. Can you (please) buy that concept? Thanks.

Got a question for you all:

Wife and I are still collecting paychecks during all this (I work remotely, she works for Iowa City School District and is getting paid at least through end of normal school year). We have 2 school-age children. The ICCSD just sent out a message to all parents encouraging us to stop by the schools to collect lunches for our kids (free of charge). They want everyone to do this, whether it is needed or not, because it allows the school district to get more money.

Classic "No such thing as a free lunch" scenario. We benefit by doing this because it cuts our grocery bill. The school benefits from doing this (so they say). But the money is coming from somewhere (taxpayers).

I am in the "doesn't seem right" camp, and wife is in the, "it helps the schools" camp. What say you?

I definitely agree with you and usually I'd say there's no way as there are people that need it more than we do. That said when I hear about dairy farmers flushing thousands of dollars worth of milk that they can't get rid of or farmers worried that they can't get rid of their livestock it makes me wonder. Based on the way things are now, even as a taxpayer, it definitely may be putting money into the school system, but it might also be helping others in hardship.

My reason for hiring others to do simple tasks for me is that I don’t want to deprive them from making a good living. Can you (please) buy that concept? Thanks.

I usually try to do it myself and then end up hiring others when that seemingly easy "fix" ends up f'ing things up more.

Wuut. Not serious are you? I'm going to do what I can at home. I get a sense of accomplishment out of working on projects or repairing what I can. What the hell man? Really.

I don't think my repairs or jobs around the house are saving the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts