Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I would think if businesses were able to reopen restaurants would be one of the first to recover. I can see a mad dash to get out and be able to enjoy a meal outside of our homes once this is over.

Will the global shutdown create a mini-experiment in the area of global warming? I just saw a report that satellite sensors are already capturing 25%+ drops in nitrogen dioxide around large cities. A oil industry expert interviewed said there could be a 5% decline in carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere depending on how long this lasts.

Remember that when all flights were cancelled for a few days after 9-11 attacks the actual temperatures around the US were slightly lower than forecasted by US Weather Service models.

The main argument by climate change deniers is that it is not man-made or hardly man-made via released carbon dioxide and methane. Even though graphs show CO2 has been rising very fast since coal burning really started ramping up in the early 1800's followed by oil use and along with it temps have been following the same upward curve. As far as I know scientists have not found any other huge rise in other gases which could cause this naturally.

But this decrease of CO2 in the coming month or months could give more direct evidence that whole global warming is mostly caused by human activity.

In the end, if the pandemic shines a spotlight on more proof of hydrocarbon induced global warming maybe that could be a very good thing that might push us to move to renewables.

I am probably too naive on the topic of global warming. I know we as humans put a lot of carbon dioxide into the air. I know that carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere. I know that temps have risen world wide. At that point, I kind of relaxed and stopped arguing with deniers.

An interesting contradiction between the FDA and this study (of which there are several) that suggests smokers are less likely to exhibit symptoms or severe infection - skip to the discussion part if you don't care about the tables and things:

https://www.qeios.com/read/article/574

Excerpt: Our cross sectional study in both COVID-19 out- and inpatients strongly suggests that current smokers have a very much lower probability of developing symptomatic or severe SARS-CoV-2 infection as compared to the general population.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ers-may-have-higher-risk-of-catching-covid-19

The thought process is that nicotine uses them same ACE2 receptor that COVID does for cell entry so the virus doesn't have enough places to "dock". It could also be that smokers have a layer of tar in their lungs that also prevent access to cells, or that the heat and dryness could kill virus particles in lungs before they have a chance to replicate.

From the study:

Because this is a cross-sectional study, we cannot confirm the causality of this association. We cannot also identify which of the many compounds of tobacco exerts the protective effect of smoking on COVID-19. There are however, sufficient scientific data to suggest that smoking protection is likely to be mediated by nicotine. SARS-CoV2 is known to use the angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor for cell entry[14-16], and there is evidence that nicotine modulates ACE2 expression[17]which could in turn modulate the nicotinic acetyl choline receptor (manuscript submitted).

2-Looks-like-I-picked-the-wrong-week-to-quit-smoking.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give you mental health. Most of the others might be reasons people are lazy, but lazy is still the reason they don't have a job. As far as race goes, ambitious black people aren't living in poverty, for the most part. Really what I should have said is there are two reasons people live in poverty. Laziness and intelligence level. A huge majority of the poverty fall into that category.

Come on man. If someone grows up to be lazy because they didn't have a dad, they are going to be poor because of their laziness. Not because of their lack of a dad.

IMO childhood trauma, and lack of dad in the home extend beyond laziness. What these individuals experienced as a child can and does greatly affect the their development from childhood on. If they've suffered or been exposed to enough then there is a good chance that those experiences impacted their development which directly influences their physical, behavioral, and social development. Simply put those factors may have affected or delayed their development to the point they're simply unable to function in one aspect or another to be a productive member of society.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone unfamiliar with ACES (Adverse Childhood Experiences) or interested in psychiatry/sociology to look it up. It focuses on how lived experiences effect who we become. Very fascinating stuff if your into that sort of thing.

Not sure where you live but the light pollution, even around a city and suburbs like Des Moines where I live, has pretty much washed out all the stars each nite except maybe about 30 brightest. I have had small to ever bigger telescopes since I was 8 years old. I have had an 8 inch reflector for 45 years that I used to be able to use to see deep space objects by star hopping around dimmer stars. But no more as I can't even hardly aim it to find objects so I hardly ever use it.

And now there are so many great images online from space telescopes, other huge telescopes etc that I can look up about anything.

I live in between Bloomington, Decatur, and really close to Champaign. So light pollution is an issue. I wasn't aware of the possibilities until I was overseas in less developed areas.

In Red Storm Rising the US pilots could see the iron curtain by the lack of lights behind that. Flew from Vienna to Kyiv at night once and you could really see the difference as we crossed the former curtain.

Lately for the first time the local night sky is really showing more stars than I could have imagined here. It's been spectacular. Not as much as other places but pretty cool.

Just talked to an Iowa City restaurant owner, the PPP for small businesses was implemented so terribly. The employees he furloughed/laid off are currently collecting unemployment, but he is supposed to use at least 75% of his loan proceeds on payroll in the first 8 weeks to be eligible for forgiveness. The problem is that even if he pays them to not work, after the 8 weeks is over they will not be eligible to collect unemployment.

It's almost as if the federal government is trying to buy them off their state unemployment benefits, or a less nefarious reason was just that it was a very inept way of implementation. I'd side with the latter. It would have made sense if the proceeds were available before the workers were laid off/furloughed, but it also makes sense that it's taken so long because of the sheer size of the endeavor.

IMO childhood trauma, and lack of dad in the home extend beyond laziness. What these individuals experienced as a child can and does greatly affect the their development from childhood on. If they've suffered or been exposed to enough then there is a good chance that those experiences impacted their development which directly influences their physical, behavioral, and social development. Simply put those factors may have affected or delayed their development to the point they're simply unable to function in one aspect or another to be a productive member of society.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone unfamiliar with ACES (Adverse Childhood Experiences) or interested in psychiatry/sociology to look it up. It focuses on how lived experiences effect who we become. Very fascinating stuff if your into that sort of thing.

Unfortunately that is one score I am really high in.:confused:. Which is why it's an important topic to me. My adopted daughters are high scorers as well. :oops:
. They are the kindest humans I ve ever met, but are huge targets and have huge challenges. They freeze and get the deer in the headlights look that teachers take as laziness. They are anything but that.

So with Tyson's Waterloo plant shutting down I can only hope that doesn't mean they'll be sending their Waterloo workers to other plants to continue to work. I'll admit I've seen little about the closing of the Waterloo plant other than a quick glimpse, but I do know that there were a good number of reports (possibly rumors but where there's smoke there's usually fire) going around that there were workers from Columbus Junction being tested in Waterloo when things broke out there. If that's the case and workers are being moved around with the closure of each plant, and those rumors have legs, then there's a problem.

I would think if businesses were able to reopen restaurants would be one of the first to recover. I can see a mad dash to get out and be able to enjoy a meal outside of our homes once this is over.

You need jobs and money to go make the mad dash. We are likely sitting at 20 percent unemployment and some business es are never coming back.

Star Tribune reporting chickens euthanized by tens of thousands.

Food insecurity is whacking the poor.

That photo of dead bodies delivered to the Philadelphia Coroner in a pickup is hard to stomach.

Just talked to an Iowa City restaurant owner, the PPP for small businesses was implemented so terribly. The employees he furloughed/laid off are currently collecting unemployment, but he is supposed to use at least 75% of his loan proceeds on payroll in the first 8 weeks to be eligible for forgiveness. The problem is that even if he pays them to not work, after the 8 weeks is over they will not be eligible to collect unemployment.

It's almost as if the federal government is trying to buy them off their state unemployment benefits, or a less nefarious reason was just that it was a very inept way of implementation. I'd side with the latter. It would have made sense if the proceeds were available before the workers were laid off/furloughed, but it also makes sense that it's taken so long because of the sheer size of the endeavor.

A friend sent me this post from a restaurant owner in Georgia. I wasn't able to forward it from my phone so taking the old school approach and typing it word for word lol.

"Here's the deal. Kemp mandates restaurants reopen, whether I reopen dining rooms or not. I file for business interruption insurance, it does not go through since I am "allowed" to operate full capacity. My landlord can demand all their money, since I am allowed to fully operate. Furloughed staff that is collecting unemployment insurance have to come back to work or I have to let them go. Their unemployment insurance then goes on my tab. If things blow up again, they are still on my tab, not on the states since they are no longer employed."

Not sure if totally accurate or not, as it was something that was forwarded to me, and I'm not sure how any of it really works but if correct then wow. There were a few additional shots at the state and the Feds but if true I can understand why so many restaurant owners may not be able to afford reopening.

You need jobs and money to go make the mad dash. We are likely sitting at 20 percent unemployment and some business es are never coming back.

Star Tribune reporting chickens euthanized by tens of thousands.

Food insecurity is whacking the poor.

That photo of dead bodies delivered to the Philadelphia Coroner in a pickup is hard to stomach.
Yep, millions of gallons of Milk flushed down the drain too due to kids not being in school. Here's one farmer with 30,000 gallons a day. I wish there was a program where we could allocate resources to deliver the milk to needy communities rather than flushing it - seems a tad wasteful to me :(

Looks like the DFA (Dairy Farmers of America) are buying up what they can, but that seems likely only to help the farmers stay afloat rather than getting it to those who may need it, article doesn't specify though.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/dairy-farmers-begin-to-flush-away-milk-due-to-coronavirus-1

Unfortunately that is one score I am really high in.:confused:. Which is why it's an important topic to me. My adopted daughters are high scorers as well. :oops:
. They are the kindest humans I ve ever met, but are huge targets and have huge challenges. They freeze and get the deer in the headlights look that teachers take as laziness. They are anything but that.

As I've mentioned before I work in the mental health field and like I said I find it fascinating. It amazes me in how different we all are and the fact that there are some that have have been through absolute hell and turn out what society would view as normal, and those that score considerably lower and their lives are ruined. The thing I take from it is focuses on the "what happened" as opposed to the "why" issue as if its something an individual has any type of control over.

A friend sent me this post from a restaurant owner in Georgia. I wasn't able to forward it from my phone so taking the old school approach and typing it word for word lol.

"Here's the deal. Kemp mandates restaurants reopen, whether I reopen dining rooms or not. I file for business interruption insurance, it does not go through since I am "allowed" to operate full capacity. My landlord can demand all their money, since I am allowed to fully operate. Furloughed staff that is collecting unemployment insurance have to come back to work or I have to let them go. Their unemployment insurance then goes on my tab. If things blow up again, they are still on my tab, not on the states since they are no longer employed."

Not sure if totally accurate or not, as it was something that was forwarded to me, and I'm not sure how any of it really works but if correct then wow. There were a few additional shots at the state and the Feds but if true I can understand why so many restaurant owners may not be able to afford reopening.
Jesus, just straight up criminal. Are any of these governors/politicians thinking what their actions may cause? I'm not a huge fan of Kim Reynolds but I don't think she's that stupid and she seems to care at least.

As I've mentioned before I work in the mental health field and like I said I find it fascinating. It amazes me in how different we all are and the fact that there are some that have have been through absolute hell and turn out what society would view as normal, and those that score considerably lower and their lives are ruined. The thing I take from it is focuses on the "what happened" as opposed to the "why" issue as if its something an individual has any type of control over.
You went into a lot more detail than I did about what can cause their issues. I simply used the word environment because while I understand a lot about psychology and mental health, I am not well-versed in either. Thanks for putting it in words that I never could.

Read the story. Very interesting! I have seen pictures of these occurrences on Facebook, and it has brightened my day. So, thanks!
Sadly, when we can start going back out again, we'll just pollute our air. With the virus, scientist have said that earth's vibration has also dipped. Background noise under earths surface has gone down by 30 - 50 percent.

Come on guys, you're making it really hard to not respond. Help a brotha out and stop posing about all that.

"(KWWL) -- The Iowa Department of Public Health is reporting 107 new cases of COVID-19 in Iowa and seven additional deaths, according to the state's coronavirus map.

• 107 new positive cases in Iowa, 3,748 total
  • Seven additional deaths, 90 total deaths (51% in long-term care facilities)
  • 522 new negative cases, 24,496 total negative cases
  • 28,244 total people tested
  • 1,428 confirmed cases recovered (38%)
  • 11 total long-term care facility outbreaks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts