Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy and Spain both stayed at their peak for awhile before dropping. There was no reason to think we wouldn't. I said mid week last week we would hit 50,000 within two weeks. We will damn near get there in one.

Where are your numbers coming from? Site I’ve been using says Roughly 26.000 new cases today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I have visited worldometers before for data but Johns Hopkins is worldwide highly noted medical center and university. They were fighting the Spanish flu in 1918.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Their dashboard has a huge amount of real time data from around the globe that you can drill down into like in the US drill down to the county level. Below is the Daily Cases US Chart showing the count I mentioned and that graph line is 40K.

upload_2020-4-22_5-44-50.pngupload_2020-4-22_5-44-50.png

Will the global shutdown create a mini-experiment in the area of global warming? I just saw a report that satellite sensors are already capturing 25%+ drops in nitrogen dioxide around large cities. A oil industry expert interviewed said there could be a 5% decline in carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere depending on how long this lasts.

Remember that when all flights were cancelled for a few days after 9-11 attacks the actual temperatures around the US were slightly lower than forecasted by US Weather Service models.

The main argument by climate change deniers is that it is not man-made or hardly man-made via released carbon dioxide and methane. Even though graphs show CO2 has been rising very fast since coal burning really started ramping up in the early 1800's followed by oil use and along with it temps have been following the same upward curve. As far as I know scientists have not found any other huge rise in other gases which could cause this naturally.

But this decrease of CO2 in the coming month or months could give more direct evidence that whole global warming is mostly caused by human activity.

In the end, if the pandemic shines a spotlight on more proof of hydrocarbon induced global warming maybe that could be a very good thing that might push us to move to renewables.

Great point Melrose! I started doing roofing, (paper,Hot tar, and rock chips) after high school. I became an electrical apprentice and worked until I got my journeyman card. I went to John Deere where I worked in maintenance for 30 years. I went back to construction working for contractors after JD. A person can make some serious coin if your willing to work. It's a good career to be in!

Welders can made some great $$$ to if they are good.

I have 13 yr old boys and I worry they aren't going to learn their way around a garage. I've tried to invite them around me when I'm doing projects. Heck, I even tried to have them watch when I had to change one of THEIR bike tires but they were uninterested. I think they could pump their tires up now, but to be honest, I think they'd have to think about it.
I just don't see them being an overall handyman that could take care of their crap when older. One of the boys has helped with repairing the toilet on a couple occasions as well as helping to swap out our kitchen faucet ounce.

They can sure run their phones and PS4 though. I will have to work harder going forward to help. I'm afraid I'm raising a couple nimcumpoops.

I don't see millennials jumping in the "trades". Everybody want easy now and many don't want to get up early.

Many of these programs do not have the cash reserves and no income stream right now.

It will be interesting to see if BTN, ESPN, Fox etc will keep paying some schools based on showing reruns. Not sure if they are obligated to do so since the network probably owns the video after the live game.

Rob, do you know the info on reruns and contracts from BTN to the schools?

I've worked in a movie theater, as a bartender, as an exterminator and as a car salesman. I worked overnight at a gas station 3 nights a week while going to Iowa full-time. Don't try to make me feel bad for being a banker. I worked hard to get where I am and I'm good at what I do. My whole point is that there are many people out there who start with such a bad hand that they will not make it no matter how hard they try. PC mentioned that some people have parents that tell them they will never make it out. What do you think that does to their development from childhood to adulthood. I'm sure for some, it motivates them. The rest give up on society and their dreams, if they ever had them.

You're making sweeping generalizations about an entire generation, I have had many high school and college kids work for me over the years. 95% of them have been awesome. Why do older people demonize millennials so much when they are they ones that raised them?? I mean let's be honest, who really fucked up here? You blame the kids for their parents shortcomings? Makes no sense to me.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad for being a banker. I threw in my profession in the same sentence so included us both. My point is that some people have to work in trades and there are plenty of jobs in trades because individuals aren't working in them as much anymore. Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) has a couple really nice talks about this dilemma.

You have done a number of jobs and seem like a very well rounded individual, and objective. I would not harp on you for working hard in finance or end up being a banker.

I harp on millennials as kind of a joke, but let's be blatantly honest, the younger generation is quite different now. Yes, it's just evolution, but there are a lot of nincompoops running around. I admit, I'm probably a bit too hard on the millennials and making generalizations. I shouldn't sacrifice them for a quick joke or laugh, but I find the term mellennials or classification of them funny.

Last edited:
I'd say something like this too with some safety nets to cover medical debt, as that can wipe out a families finances pretty quick. I had a $400,000 bill from UIHC when my first child was born 5 weeks premature, and he didn't even require a lot of care, needed a ventilator for about 14 hours and was just small. He needed to stay until he hit the 5 lb mark which ended up being about 6 weeks. I can't imagine the bills of some of the other families in there, we got lucky IMO.

Access to good affordable education or trade school would be nice too.

Agree. Medical debt or a serious illness is the number #1 reason for bankruptcies, I believe. That should not be like that.

I would say a very high percentage of people living in poverty are lazy. I'm not going to blast ambitious rich people because there are lazy poor people out there.

I agree. Some people don't help themselves or take ownership. Not all, there are bad situations for a population. I am not blind to that. I was going to respond to the same post as well. I live in Iowa City, believe it or not, some individuals choose to live the homeless lifestyle.

I'll give you mental health. Most of the others might be reasons people are lazy, but lazy is still the reason they don't have a job. As far as race goes, ambitious black people aren't living in poverty, for the most part. Really what I should have said is there are two reasons people live in poverty. Laziness and intelligence level. A huge majority of the poverty fall into that category.

Come on man. If someone grows up to be lazy because they didn't have a dad, they are going to be poor because of their laziness. Not because of their lack of a dad.

PCHawk - It's easier just to send them a check each month. Don't try to help.

I do acknowledge we are slipping with treating our mentally ill, though.

If there are no jobs to be had in those areas I would agree that maybe I need to get out of Iowa. If there are jobs to be had and people aren't trying to get them, then it doesn't matter which state you're in, it's your fault. I know I'm not smart enough to work for NASA so I've got no problem saying some people are barely smart enough to work at McDonald's. I know I don't have the ambition to expand my business and try to make more money so I have no problem saying some people barely have enough ambition to work part time. Those are your main issues. Ambition and intelligence. If you're lucky enough to have both, it's impossible not to be successful.

If you want the last word on this I'll give it to you, but I dont want to keep down this path and give Rob a reason to kill this thread.

Nothing wrong with this thread. Think about it. Work 3 part time jobs plus day care. Should with 3 part time jobs you might make too much with a kid or two to qualify for Medicare. Your kids might. With private insurance your medical costs are going to be minimum be 500 single per month... A family 1000.in most areas of the nation minimum a thousand for housing. I used to have an office where I had to watch people... Including mom's trudge through snow walking several miles to get to work at basic jobs.. sad.

Just take the time to look at the stats. Single minority women with kids. There is the bulk of poverty. I used to teach a basic college intro class where I got those kids the vast majority had no hope of completion of college

You lay flooring which pays decently. Imagine being Black and trying to get work in areas where they can afford flooring replacement. Be real. Don't tell me you wouldn't think twice about it.

Don't tell me your kids would thrive at Simeon HS and could compete with kids from Ankeny or Regina.

I'll give you mental health. Most of the others might be reasons people are lazy, but lazy is still the reason they don't have a job. As far as race goes, ambitious black people aren't living in poverty, for the most part. Really what I should have said is there are two reasons people live in poverty. Laziness and intelligence level. A huge majority of the poverty fall into that category.

Come on man. If someone grows up to be lazy because they didn't have a dad, they are going to be poor because of their laziness. Not because of their lack of a dad.

I get sick of people using diagnoses, conditions or bad upbringings as hammocks.

Let's get back on topic, folks. This isn't supposed to be a catch-all thread for social topics. I let it stray from time to time as there are layers to the current pandemic, but you guys are going a little too far down another road. Thanks.

Italy and Spain both stayed at their peak for awhile before dropping. There was no reason to think we wouldn't. I said mid week last week we would hit 50,000 within two weeks. We will damn near get there in one.

More testing is always going to skew the situation when adding up numbers. Did the situation really change or are we just recognizing more people now thru testing? It can be deceiving. We've seen it in Iowa now with testing going on in more work plants. The numbers are going up, but does that mean the disease is actually increasing. Not necessarily. We could of always had this many people running around with COVID and probably have.

Let's get back on topic, folks. This isn't supposed to be a catch-all thread for social topics. I let it stray from time to time as there are layers to the current pandemic, but you guys are going a little too far down another road. Thanks.

I'm Sorry. You are right.

hqdefault.jpg

Good call Rob. I was just about ready to send you a message as UIHawk82 wanted to start some discussion about the climate change aspects. Many of us believe the Green Movement is simply another new religion. I have nothing against freedom of religion, and I'm actually very green, but you mentioned yesterday we should keep religion out of this thread.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/25725-green-religion

Last edited:
Will the global shutdown create a mini-experiment in the area of global warming? I just saw a report that satellite sensors are already capturing 25%+ drops in nitrogen dioxide around large cities. A oil industry expert interviewed said there could be a 5% decline in carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere depending on how long this lasts.

Remember that when all flights were cancelled for a few days after 9-11 attacks the actual temperatures around the US were slightly lower than forecasted by US Weather Service models.

The main argument by climate change deniers is that it is not man-made or hardly man-made via released carbon dioxide and methane. Even though graphs show CO2 has been rising very fast since coal burning really started ramping up in the early 1800's followed by oil use and along with it temps have been following the same upward curve. As far as I know scientists have not found any other huge rise in other gases which could cause this naturally.

But this decrease of CO2 in the coming month or months could give more direct evidence that whole global warming is mostly caused by human activity.

In the end, if the pandemic shines a spotlight on more proof of hydrocarbon induced global warming maybe that could be a very good thing that might push us to move to renewables.

Granted there is low humidity but the stars were amazing last night. Less pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts