Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever your interpretation of a word is:

The problem remains whether or not you prefer to use False Negative which the medical profession says is 25-35% of the patients tested. Those who are infected and spreading the disease before the test and after the test which might show that the patient does not have Corvid-19. That is a serious problem no matter which word/words you would use to describe the situation. Right now, I don't really have the time or patience to discuss semantics.

Georgia Governor, Brian Kemp, while announcing a statewide stay-at-home order, said Wednesday, that he only recently became aware the coronavirus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

It's Estimated 1 in 4 Coronavirus Carriers Could Be Asymptomatic. Here's What We Know

AYLIN WOODWARD, BUSINESS INSIDER
3 APRIL 2020
At least one-third of the world is under some type of lockdown because of the coronavirus pandemic, as governments urge social distancing to stymie the virus' spread.

That's because the COVID-19 virus is insidious.

"There's significant transmission by people not showing symptoms," Stephen Morse, an epidemiologist at Columbia University, told Business Insider.

According to Robert Redfield, the director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, 25 percent of people infected with the new coronavirus don't present any symptoms or fall ill but can still transmit the illness to others.

Redfield on Tuesday told NPR that "we have pretty much confirmed" that "a significant number of individuals that are infected actually remain asymptomatic."

These asymptomatic carriers, Redfield added, are most likely contributing to the rapid spread of the coronavirus worldwide – the number of confirmed cases passed 1 million this week – and making it challenging for experts to assess the true extent of the pandemic.

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s...ut-those-who-can-pass-corona-without-symptoms

Stay Safe

:cool:

Dude, you completely didn't understand what they are describing when they are using the term asymptomatic. You were using it in the wrong context. I've worked in a field that has dealt with asymptomatic Pt's for damn near 28 years.

You said a Pt is asymptomatic when they have the virus but test negative. That is not correct. That is a false negative. It's not about using different terms. It's about applying the right term to the correct situation.

Asymptomatic is when a Pt is positive but does not show signs/symptoms for a period of time. They would test positive if tested. It is usually describing the incubation period. The incubation period is the asymptomatic period from the time of first exposure to the virus to when first symptoms show.

It's not semantics, it's using the correct term to explain the situation. False negative (a scientific description of a test result) and asymptomatic are not synonymous. It's not just semantics.

Last edited:
Northside, I was not going to respond further to your views. You may want to recognize that 90% of the US population is now under shelter at home requirements. Iowa’s governor is like the mother watching her son in the marching band...”Oh look! Everyone is out of step but my Johnny.” There are some various versions of shelter. In WI I can go to the grocery store, the pharmacy, and a few other “essential” venues. I can go for a walk. I can drive around in my car, fill up with gas, etc. Out of respect for others, I will shelter as much as possible. Just so we are clear, I was born and raised in Iowa and it will always be my home. That is why I care.
The restrictions in Iowa are almost exactly the same as the restrictions in the "stay at home states". Reynolds has
pointed this out. The two only real differences are Reynolds is still allowing groups of up to ten people to congregate.

And that Reynolds trusts the citizens of her state to exhibit common sense. The citizens in turn are rewarding her trust with one of the lowest growth curves in the country, in terms of percentage.

You ASK people to do something and they will comply. You FORCE them to do something and hell will eventually come to breakfast.

Chicago is in trouble. Not from the pandemic itself but from the upcoming negative reaction to it. Mark my words.

Dude, you completely didn't understand what they are describing when they are using the term asymptomatic. You were using it in the wrong context. I've worked in a field that has dealt with asymptomatic Pt's for damn near 28 years. I know what it means.

You said a Pt is asymptomatic when they have the virus but test negative. That is not correct. That is a false negative. It's not about using different terms. It's about applying the right term to the correct situation.

Asymptomatic is when a Pt is positive but does not show signs/symptoms for a period of time. They would test positive if tested. It is usually describing the incubation period. The incubation period is the asymptomatic period from the time of first exposure to the virus to when first symptoms show.

It's not semantics, it's using the correct term to explain the situation. False negative (a scientific description of a test result) and asymptomatic are not synonymous. It's not just semantics.

Thank you very kindly for the clarification

Appreciate it

I am certain that those infected would be anxious to understand the exact meaning of asymptomatic

You may have heard your doctor describe a condition as asymptomatic. The term asymptomatic literally means the absence of symptoms, in contrast to the term symptomatic, meaning symptoms are present.

Asymptomatic. If you're asymptomatic, you don't show any signs of being sick. In some cases, you can have a disease but still be asymptomatic. When doctors talk about someone being asymptomatic, they are usually referring to a patient who has been exposed to an illness or is sick but doesn't have any symptoms.

In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. A condition might be asymptomatic if it fails to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated. Asymptomatic infections are also called subclinical infections.

Asymptomatic Carriers Are Fueling the COVID-19 Pandemic. Here’s Why You Don’t Have to Feel Sick to Spread the Disease

https://www.discovermagazine.com/he...ling-the-covid-19-pandemic-heres-why-you-dont

Last edited:
The data will be pretty clear “after the fact”. There is a significant undercount of Covid-19 mortality. Can’t believe I’m saying this but one side will argue that deaths were inappropriately attributed to SARS-Cov-2 but you can’t rationally argue about excess mortality. All one will need to do is compare deaths in a region by month - April 2019 to April 2020. The numbers will be clear and not confounded by limitations on testing. This is being done right now around the world.

The longer the economy is in the gutter, the stronger the pressure on Trump to resign, which is grossly unfair and what some people have wanted all along. Plan B after impeachment didn't work.

Trump resign lmao. That’s never gonna happen and Trump isn’t going to allow it to go into the gutter. He will fire all the engines up full steam ahead. Than will be faced with a State by state decisions on what to do.

New York Times says 430,000 people have traveled from China to America since the virus started.

Not surprised by that at all. Furthering the BS numbers from China. I seen estimates that real numbers in China are 1 Million + cases and 50,000+ Deaths.

Not surprised by that at all. Furthering the BS numbers from China. I seen estimates that real numbers in China are 1 Million + cases and 50,000+ Deaths.

I couldn't have even given an educated guess on how many travelers there had been. It's way more than I would have guessed.

I couldn't have even given an educated guess on how many travelers there had been. It's way more than I would have guessed.

Don’t forget NY Gov and NYC Mayor totally downplayed the travel restrictions Trump handed down. They got major skin in this game right now. Over 4,000 people entered N.Y. directly from Wuhan.

Don’t forget NY Gov and NYC Mayor totally downplayed the travel restrictions Trump handed down. They got major skin in this game right now. Over 4,000 people entered N.Y. directly from Wuhan.

A lot of them have major skin in this game. Trump pooh poohed this virus from mid January to mid March saying it was nothing which was totally against the intel people and many doctors. I think some experts thought in January the US would put in major travel and work restrictions much earlier than we did which would have really shunted down the overall virus spread. But experts didnt speak loud enough truth to power.

The NY Gov and NYC mayor were a week or even a few day slow to shut it down which made a lot of difference but NYC was about to explode unless they would have done something drastic in mid Feb.

The States of WA and CA took some earlier drastic actions in hotspots and then statewide and it seems to be blunting a high peak which is good.

History and even now will not look kindly on Trump who is more worried about money, is not decisive and will not act (he is very lame when he needs to take action witnessed by the fact that he cant fire people himself face to face from all reports), he is very late to use the DPA, he blames the States and cities. Way too late using military assets to move equipment, use military nurses and doctors, using military officers to lead the supply chain issue. Trump won't order a company to make equipment at regular costs even though he has the power through the DPA. Trump can't even focus on this pandemic during the press conferences where he as woefully expounded on his border wall and made a major announcement on drug war even though those types of plans are always in the works and the same plans as always.

Once Trump said this is a national emergency and disaster Trump and the Federal Govt owned the solution lock stock and barrel because that is what the national emergency/local emergency Act states.

Thank you very kindly for the clarification

Appreciate it

I am certain that those infected would be anxious to understand the exact meaning of asymptomatic

You may have heard your doctor describe a condition as asymptomatic. The term asymptomatic literally means the absence of symptoms, in contrast to the term symptomatic, meaning symptoms are present.

Asymptomatic. If you're asymptomatic, you don't show any signs of being sick. In some cases, you can have a disease but still be asymptomatic. When doctors talk about someone being asymptomatic, they are usually referring to a patient who has been exposed to an illness or is sick but doesn't have any symptoms.

In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. A condition might be asymptomatic if it fails to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated. Asymptomatic infections are also called subclinical infections.

Asymptomatic Carriers Are Fueling the COVID-19 Pandemic. Here’s Why You Don’t Have to Feel Sick to Spread the Disease

https://www.discovermagazine.com/he...ling-the-covid-19-pandemic-heres-why-you-dont

Quite possibly. But, it's definitely of importance to know for Epidemiologist so they know what they are dealing with, especially in a pandemic situation. There is a reason this virus is so robust and a large part of it has to do with the asymptomatic nature of the disease for up to 2 wks.

Very sorry to get you riled up bit. Not my intention.

The restrictions in Iowa are almost exactly the same as the restrictions in the "stay at home states". Reynolds has
pointed this out. The two only real differences are Reynolds is still allowing groups of up to ten people to congregate.

And that Reynolds trusts the citizens of her state to exhibit common sense. The citizens in turn are rewarding her trust with one of the lowest growth curves in the country, in terms of percentage.

You ASK people to do something and they will comply. You FORCE them to do something and hell will eventually come to breakfast.

Chicago is in trouble. Not from the pandemic itself but from the upcoming negative reaction to it. Mark my words.

I made this same very point to my wife yesterday. We are pretty much doing it now. The only people who are not may not if she declared it anyway, although I can't prove that for sure. I know Johnson county has really slowed this past week but is that temporary?

It doesn't really matter to me if she calls it or not. It's you the point she might as well just to get people off her back. I suppose there could be subtle differences like you point out above or a little more policing of the situation that could help.

I heard that 60-70% of people could declare to be "essential". This is a part of the reason she hasn't acted on it as of yet. Much of it now still comes down to behavior of the people.

Trump resign lmao. That’s never gonna happen and Trump isn’t going to allow it to go into the gutter. He will fire all the engines up full steam ahead. Than will be faced with a State by state decisions on what to do.
I hear you my man. It's frustrating.

Governor's like JB Pritzker are crying for federal direction. This would be my response to him.

"Stop treating your citizens like sheep and get your state moving again"

We will find out very soon which states are going to wallow in self pity and which states have leaders with cajones. As more and more people recover from this we can use their plasma to help treat the infected. But some governor's don't even want you to know that many people have already recovered from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts