Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The US is in a bad way right now especially with little testing. They say 245000 cases but it could be 2.5 million and if you let everybody go back to work then that could really be deadly.

US cases increasing 30000 a day and you put that in a parabolic exponential equation and in 3 weeks with no slow down and doubling every 8 days let's say then that means 1 million KNOWN cases by end of April.

Let's hope the stronger UV light helps kill some virus but it wont kill virus already inside people they keep breathing out.

Bill Gates wants a hard lockdown of this country.

For ten weeks.

No trucks, planes, trains or automobiles. Nothing moves.

Off course he showed no shame in stealing a competitor's ideas and becoming a multi-billionaire, so it's not a leap of faith to suggest he would have other inane ideas.

What ideas did he steal? If you are talking about the DOS operating system all the histories I have heard or read is that Gates and his people found a small computing company that wrote DOS and Gates et al bought the OS and the rights to it. I am not saying Gates wasnt ruthless as Microsoft leader but I would like to know what he stole?

I'm pretty sure someone could cough into the air on a walk path and someone else could walk by minutes later and get it. Is that correct?

I doubt minutes later but if there is little wind the droplets will fall to the ground within 6-10 feet while higher winds will carry it farther.

I dunno, maybe because she has some level of sanity in this whole thing. And trusts her state's residents to exhibit common sense.

We have a total of three confirmed cases in our (southwestern Wisconsin) county and yet our schools are likely to be banged for the year, and some posters are already questioning next year. Who knows when the economy will bounce back, or how much taxes will go up.

Bottom line. Order people not to do something and many will do the opposite out of spite. Let's see the media bubs post a curve for THAT.

I am not going to comment on anything except about 'how much taxes will go up'.

We in America have a really good life and we do not pay very high taxes. Many of us make good money and with deductions etc we pay adjusted taxes at a 10% rate. Yet we have a very good interstate system, good public schools, etc . We know the country has slipped in education and healthcare ratings and both those areas are so important we should probably have a higher progressive tax to make those two areas better.

The basic needs of people though are generally well met in food, fairly potable water, housing, clothing, sewage control, etc. I am many times amazed at the amount of really good fresh food in our stores when we see what happens in the rest of the world.

If you do not know it the personal wealth in this country is about $87 trillion dollars and about 24% of it is in the hands of a few percent of americans. So believe me there will plenty of DOUGH to be taxed to pay for this problem.

The citizens of the US could pay off the national debt of 23 trillion in a very short time and still have well over $60 trillion in wealth or about $180,000 per man, woman and child.

The US and state govts can put in tolls and slightly increased use taxes on fuel, cigs, vapes, etc and help pay for this problem.

I am not worried about paying some more taxes and we are on social security.

It is just a matter if people have the guts to do it and that is a big question mark.

From CBS Sports on former Jaguars All Pro Offensive Tackle Tony Boselli.............

"Tony Boselli, one of the greatest offensive lineman of his era, recently spent five days in the hospital after he and his wife, Angie, tested positive for the coronavirus. While his wife never needed to be hospitalized and has made a full recovery, Boselli says that he is still in recovery after spending time in the ICU unit.

Boselli, a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro during his seven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, first felt ill when had a runny nose in mid-March, thinking he had a cold or sinus infection. But it turned bad in a hurry when he started to get flu-like symptoms and then found out he had been around somebody who tested positive for Covid-19. A day after that, Boselli got tested and he found out he had the Covid-19.

"When I first got sick, I thought it wasn't a big deal," Boselli told CBS Sports. "I was 47 and healthy. I thought I'd be back to myself. It went the wrong way quickly."

On his first night in ICU, getting oxygen pumped into him in an attempt to try to get levels up, the doctor told him if that didn't work, they would have to try something else. Like a machine – but Boselli wasn't sure if it was a ventilator they had in mind. He just knew it didn't sound good.

"In the back of my mind, since I was already in ICU and hooked up to oxygen, I wondered what if it goes wrong, (with the new treatment)" Boselli said. "Bad thoughts come into your head. I tried not to have them cross my mind, but they do. You lay there alone with your thoughts and nobody can see you. The scariest thing was not knowing what was next. I was anxious. I didn't want it to be the way it goes for me. I didn't want to die there. But they got it turned around. The health professionals (at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville) were great."

Boselli is back home now and is recovering, and plans to ride his bike soon on the advice of his doctors to get his lungs back in shape.

"I'm getting there," he said. "This was so much worse than I could have imagined."

His advice to those who aren't taking it seriously?

"It's real, and it's bad for some people," Boselli said. "Look at me. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, and look how it turned out for me. This is a bad virus and people have to take it seriously."

My wife and I got out on 3 or 4 mile walks pretty much every day. It really helps us physically and mentally.

There are quite a few others out doing the same. We all make sure to spread out when passing each other, usually walking into the grass on each side of the sidewalk.

My wife found out yesterday that she was having her pay cut 20 percent at least through July. Others at her job were furloughed, so we lucked out. And we kept all of our health insurance.

About a 50% decrease in Upper-Respiratory Tract Infection with regular moderate exercise. Also decreased severity of illness if infected.

1-s2.0-S2095254618301005-gr5.jpg

The increase in susceptibility at high workloads is not the workload per se, but the stress on the body. If you are very fit and accustomed to high work loads, no big deal. If you are doing something dramatically above what your body is used to, that increases risk.

Other means of combatting infection risk that seem to help synergistically with exercise: good sleep, good nutrition (lots of plants), good hydration, good stress management. Those are all kind of "duh" things, but how often do we ignore those things? Way too often, for me.

From CBS Sports on former Jaguars All Pro Offensive Tackle Tony Boselli.............

"Tony Boselli, one of the greatest offensive lineman of his era, recently spent five days in the hospital after he and his wife, Angie, tested positive for the coronavirus. While his wife never needed to be hospitalized and has made a full recovery, Boselli says that he is still in recovery after spending time in the ICU unit.

Boselli, a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro during his seven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, first felt ill when had a runny nose in mid-March, thinking he had a cold or sinus infection. But it turned bad in a hurry when he started to get flu-like symptoms and then found out he had been around somebody who tested positive for Covid-19. A day after that, Boselli got tested and he found out he had the Covid-19.

"When I first got sick, I thought it wasn't a big deal," Boselli told CBS Sports. "I was 47 and healthy. I thought I'd be back to myself. It went the wrong way quickly."

On his first night in ICU, getting oxygen pumped into him in an attempt to try to get levels up, the doctor told him if that didn't work, they would have to try something else. Like a machine – but Boselli wasn't sure if it was a ventilator they had in mind. He just knew it didn't sound good.

"In the back of my mind, since I was already in ICU and hooked up to oxygen, I wondered what if it goes wrong, (with the new treatment)" Boselli said. "Bad thoughts come into your head. I tried not to have them cross my mind, but they do. You lay there alone with your thoughts and nobody can see you. The scariest thing was not knowing what was next. I was anxious. I didn't want it to be the way it goes for me. I didn't want to die there. But they got it turned around. The health professionals (at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville) were great."

Boselli is back home now and is recovering, and plans to ride his bike soon on the advice of his doctors to get his lungs back in shape.

"I'm getting there," he said. "This was so much worse than I could have imagined."

His advice to those who aren't taking it seriously?

"It's real, and it's bad for some people," Boselli said. "Look at me. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, and look how it turned out for me. This is a bad virus and people have to take it seriously."

Thanks for sharing that news because a big, robust athlete getting laid low and totally helpless is a glaring reminder of how bad this can be.

About a 50% decrease in Upper-Respiratory Tract Infection with regular moderate exercise. Also decreased severity of illness if infected.

1-s2.0-S2095254618301005-gr5.jpg

The increase in susceptibility at high workloads is not the workload per se, but the stress on the body. If you are very fit and accustomed to high work loads, no big deal. If you are doing something dramatically above what your body is used to, that increases risk.

Other means of combatting infection risk that seem to help synergistically with exercise: good sleep, good nutrition (lots of plants), good hydration, good stress management. Those are all kind of "duh" things, but how often do we ignore those things? Way too often, for me.

Interesting. Good info.

I've been walking regularly at this distance for about a year or so. I actually was up around 5 or 6 miles a day last summer before cutting back during football season. Now it's just offsetting my beer intake. I think I benefit most from a mental aspect of being outside, hearing the birds and seeing other people, even from a distance.

Does Wisconsin have a total stay at home order except for essential jobs and essential grocery and pharmacy and doctor visits?
Yes, but that is moot because my wife works in Illinois (and so do I).

Illinois is now on day 14 of stay at home and I'm starting to notice frayed nerve endings. Wait till it's in the seventies every day and we're on week five or six of this. Anything is on the table. People authorize home delivery for their parcels then get snippy at me when I deliver it to their home. Again, I think mask wearing is imminent, and it may calm down people who see me approach their property.

anyone here who goes to the grocery store or to get gas wear a mask? I have an older one and have been thinking about wearing it now, but it just seems so weird and would feel awkward to wear it out in public. Plus, I would like to get a new one, but where could you get one since there is a shortage on masks right now.?

Was thinking abut wearing a bandanna, but store employees may think I 'm coming in to rob them:cool:

Man, it's like you had a pit bull on a chain walking it.

Check out Bill Burr's set on why one needs to get a pit bull!

The wife and I had an altercation with a pit and his police officer up on sexual assault charge couple of years ago on a walk at a park. I was about to take out the dog when the off duty officer showed up. He threatened to break every bone in my body if I hurt his aggressive dog. I told him to get his dog off or I would. He had 4 inches on me and 30 pounds (body builder) He then said you don't know who you are messing with and we are nose to chin and the dog is snapping at me from behind. I for some reason replied you dont know who you are messing with. He backed up a bit then a teen girl jogged by and his dog went after her. He got the pit under control and left.

He was convicted several weeks later. Big guy threatening me close up. Dog lunging at me and a wife grabbing my arm trying to keep me between herself and the dog.

The critter was. Let off the leash out of site and did the pit stealth attack then which I was aware of.

Corona or pit ...?

No, once the train gets rolling it goes up exponentially. It took us quite a bit of time to get over 100 cases then over 200. I told my wife and others when we were hitting the 200 mark that once we hit that, we are going to increase a lot and in no time we'd be over 400. We are now going to go over 700 after today.

The train is rolling and has left the station and now coming thru at full speed the next couple weeks.

I saw a projection of 100,000 - 150,000 deaths in the US when this is all said and done. I couldn't fathom it when I saw that this pas week as it is hard to imagine, but, once the train is going thru, numbers go up rapidly.

I hope we don't hit 100,000 cases in Iowa. We have 3 mil people in Iowa, correct? Anybody know the average % of population getting hit with this thing? 100,000 would only be 3-3.5% of the population, correct?
I realize, and posted, that 10-15 % of number x from a few days ago I different from 10-15% of number y from today. Still, to reach 100,000 Iowa cases we would either have to start seeing thousands of cases a day for weeks at a time or the peak would have to be revised.

anyone here who goes to the grocery store or to get gas wear a mask? I have an older one and have been thinking about wearing it now, but it just seems so weird and would feel awkward to wear it out in public. Plus, I would like to get a new one, but where could you get one since there is a shortage on masks right now.?

Was thinking abut wearing a bandanna, but store employees may think I 'm coming in to rob them:cool:

The wife went shopping with a mask, stocking cap, scarf and big shades. Looked ridiculous.

What ideas did he steal? If you are talking about the DOS operating system all the histories I have heard or read is that Gates and his people found a small computing company that wrote DOS and Gates et al bought the OS and the rights to it. I am not saying Gates wasnt ruthless as Microsoft leader but I would like to know what he stole?
If he bought the rights to it he was one shrwed businessman, which is likely because many of the great ones are. Look at Trump and Warren Buffet.

Interesting. Good info.

I've been walking regularly at this distance for about a year or so. I actually was up around 5 or 6 miles a day last summer before cutting back during football season. Now it's just offsetting my beer intake. I think I benefit most from a mental aspect of being outside, hearing the birds and seeing other people, even from a distance.
I was running twenty miles a week when I had pneumonia in 2013 and I have no doubt the intensive cardiovascular conditioning lessened the duration and severity of the pneumonia.

Interesting. Good info.

We have been trying to get out as a family too, but that one really nice this week the sidewalks were CROWDED. Makes me wish I was up with my parents, out in the country. I could use 200 acres of unoccupied woodland right about now.

Thanks for sharing that news because a big, robust athlete getting laid low and totally helpless is a glaring reminder of how bad this can be.

He lost a lot of weight and has kept in good shape since his playing days, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.