Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought the same thing. I was going ask the very same question. I'd like to know if what I had for an illness a few weeks ago was this coronavirus. If I knew, I could live much differently right now and maybe be of some help somewhere.
NBC News last night did an hour long special on the virus. It said if you had the virus and it has passed through you, they can test you to see if you actually had it even though you feel fine now. Then you could donate blood to those who have the virus.

Another thought.

I'm glad the US doesn't have 4X the people in it. I can't stand driving around it now let along add 4X the people, well at least east of I-35 anyway. The east coast is horrific. In Iowa, there is a drastic change driving around NW Iowa compared to SE and east Iowa. I couldn't believe how barren it looked while heading to Sioux City one trip.

Isnt it nice driving on Hiway 20 4 lanes from I35 to the west with so little traffic. It is like being on Illinois tollway 88 compared to I 80 in Illinois. That section if I 80 from Joliet into Indiana and around Gary is just hell with traffic volume and ever present construction.

I came upon this site that has covid testing data. They get the from state public health offices and do lag behind a few hours, and also from other ancillary sources.

https://covidtracking.com/ The thing I noticed is that on April 1, today, there have been 1.2 million tests administered or about .36% of the population, yes you saw that correctly "POINT 36 %" (remember things started heating up on the pandemic front at least 32 days ago). That seems extremely low given that our highest level Fed Pandemic Work Group people said about 10 days ago they had received 5 million tests. But maybe 'received' means they have been delivered but not many have been used. Or that there are just delays for some unknown reason.

The 100 million masks are for are hospital EMT and all healthcare workers my gawd. They should be changing their masks every time they see another patient which is a high amount now. Geez, one one nurse could go through 2 or 3 dozen masks a day maybe more.

I haven't responded to your stupid trolling for quite awhile but your post about the CDC saying maybe we all, the general populace, really has nothing to do with this.

And since that old CDC bulletin cam out many more experts are saying it could not hurt to wear a mask.

You can buy HEPA furnace filters which filter down to .3 microns which is plenty small enough to catch even the smallest of fluid droplets coming out of someones mouth. Tell me exactly how walking around in a crowd with no mask is better than having a good mask on for your own protection,

AND EVEN more important since so many people can have the virus, shed the virus without even knowing it then if everyone wore a mask it would be better to stop people from spewing their own spittle all over the place.

That CDC thing from Marketwatch is 30 days old and it is old news as far as top experts say.

Wow, news on right now being reported by Forbes that just two days ago US companies sold 280 million masks to foreign countries. Well I guess profit and free enterprise is alive and well during a so called time of war. Someone high up said we are at war but it looks like if this story is true we are selling our bullets and guns overseas.

That is awesome but why hasnt our Fed govt put out 100 million masks?

I took it as he is donating $1 mil in masks but that does not say they are currently produced or will not be a production problem. I think with the Fed it isn't really the money, its the resources to mass produce them that is the issue.

That CDC thing from Marketwatch is 30 days old and it is old news as far as top experts say.

Wow, news on right now being reported by Forbes that just two days ago US companies sold 280 million masks to foreign countries. Well I guess profit and free enterprise is alive and well during a so called time of war. Someone high up said we are at war but it looks like if this story is true we are selling our bullets and guns overseas.
You have to remember that a lot of what you read is completely made up. It's entirely possible there isnt a mask shortage in the US right now, and it's also possible we haven't sold a bunch to other countries. If both are really true, then that's messed up. But I highly doubt both are true.

I came upon this site that has covid testing data. They get the from state public health offices and do lag behind a few hours, and also from other ancillary sources.

https://covidtracking.com/ The thing I noticed is that on April 1, today, there have been 1.2 million tests administered or about .36% of the population, yes you saw that correctly "POINT 36 %" (remember things started heating up on the pandemic front at least 32 days ago). That seems extremely low given that our highest level Fed Pandemic Work Group people said about 10 days ago they had received 5 million tests. But maybe 'received' means they have been delivered but not many have been used. Or that there are just delays for some unknown reason.
You gotta remember that a short 2 months ago, zero people in this country were infected. 2 months later, a lot of people have it, but still a very small percentage of the total population has it. My post isn't to argue that the tests are where they should be. I'm just saying the numbers you posted make it look worse than it probably is.

The 100 million masks are for are hospital EMT and all healthcare workers my gawd. They should be changing their masks every time they see another patient which is a high amount now. Geez, one one nurse could go through 2 or 3 dozen masks a day maybe more.

I haven't responded to your stupid trolling for quite awhile but your post about the CDC saying maybe we all, the general populace, really has nothing to do with this.

And since that old CDC bulletin cam out many more experts are saying it could not hurt to wear a mask.

You can buy HEPA furnace filters which filter down to .3 microns which is plenty small enough to catch even the smallest of fluid droplets coming out of someones mouth. Tell me exactly how walking around in a crowd with no mask is better than having a good mask on for your own protection,

AND EVEN more important since so many people can have the virus, shed the virus without even knowing it then if everyone wore a mask it would be better to stop people from spewing their own spittle all over the place.
First of all, TK isn't trolling. He actually believes what he is saying. Secondly, I have no idea the logic behind it not being more safe to wear a mask. That makes no sense to me at all. The only thing I can think of is they are lying because they dont want a shortage for hospital workers.

Take a good look at the two images of the inside of the book. What do you see?

Obviously, not the same book:

This is a genuine page from the novel “The Eyes of Darkness.” The passage can be seen in Amazon’s preview of a mass-market paperback edition of this novel that was released in December 2008.

ETAjHu5WkAAfSg3.png

It’s true that Koontz named a fictional biological weapon “Wuhan-400” in this novel. It’s also true that Wuhan, China, is the city at the center of the 2020 coronavirus outbreak. However, that’s pretty much where the similarities end.

Here are a few things this “prediction” gets wrong:

In Koontz’s novel, “Wuhan-400” is a human-made weapon. The coronavirus, on the other hand, was not.

In the novel, “Wuhan-400” has a 100% fatality rate. While researchers are still learning about the coronavirus, the current fatality rate sits at about 2%.

The fictional “Wuhan-400” has an extremely quick incubation period of about four hours, compared to COVID-19 which has an incubation period between two and 14 days.

While the page from Koontz’s novel displayed above is genuine, other iterations of this book used a different name for the fictional biological weapon. In fact, when we searched a 1981 edition of this book available via Google Books we found no references to “Wuhan.” In that edition, this biological weapon is called “Gorki-400” after the Russian city where it was created.
We’re not entirely sure when or why this change occurred. From what we can tell, the biological weapon was originally called “Gorki-400” when this book was published in 1981. But by 2008, the name had been changed to “Wuhan-400.”
Regardless of when “Wuhan-400” made its way into Koontz’ novel, this is not a prediction. Koontz did not claim that the events that took place in his novel would later come to fruition, and the similarities between “Wuhan-400” and COVID-19 are minimal. Furthermore, readers only noticed this “prediction” after an outbreak of coronavirus was reported in Wuhan, China, which makes this “prediction” nothing more than a coincidence.

Another image supposedly showing a second page from Koontz’ novel “The Eyes of Darkness” was also circulated on social medias as further evidence that the author had “predicted” the COVID-19 pandemic:

This page does not come from Koontz’ novel “The Eyes of Darkness.” This actually comes from a book called “End of Days” by self-described psychic Sylvia Browne. You can read more about Browne’s “prediction” here

ESx_DZmU8AAMPRv.jpg

This page does not come from Koontz’ novel “The Eyes of Darkness.” This actually comes from a book called “End of Days” by self-described psychic Sylvia Browne. You can read more about Browne’s “prediction” here.

In early March 2020, amid fears about an international outbreak of illness caused by the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19 , social media users shared an image of a page in the book “End of Days,” which was published in 2008 and authored by self-described psychic and medium Sylvia Browne.

“Did Sylvia Browne predict the coronavirus in her book End of Days?” one reader asked:

Browne died in 2013. She gained notoriety for her claims that she could predict the future and communicate with spirits. But she was also the subject of criticism for offering the grieving parents of missing children false information.

Browne did vaguely write in her 2008 book that a respiratory illness would spread across the globe in 2020. Here are her own words from the Google Books version of “End of Days”:

In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments. Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely.

Although the term “prediction” is a subjective one, it may come as no surprise that Browne claimed to have foreseen an international respiratory disease outbreak, considering that the SARS: (severe acute respiratory syndrome) outbreak of the early 2000s occurred before her book was published. The term “severe” would certainly apply to some cases of COVID-19, the coronavirus disease, which has been deadly for thousands of patients in 2020. The illness appears to be more lethal than the seasonal flu, though some of the cases are quite mild or asymptomatic.

Finally, it would be subjective to describe the coronavirus as “baffling.” Coronavirus infections are not new, although COVID-19 is a new strain, and because of that, no vaccines or therapeutic treatments exist yet to fight it. And of course, no evidence exists that COVID-19 will “suddenly vanish.” In fact, health professionals have stated it might become a seasonal illness.

We, therefore, rate this claim “Mixture.” Although it could be argued that stating a respiratory illness would sweep through the world in 2020 was accurate, other elements of the book passage are unknown or unlikely, and of course “predicting” a worldwide outbreak of a respiratory illness when one has already happened could be more a matter of lucky guessing than predicting.

There it is in a nutshell.....

You have to remember that a lot of what you read is completely made up. It's entirely possible there isnt a mask shortage in the US right now, and it's also possible we haven't sold a bunch to other countries. If both are really true, then that's messed up. But I highly doubt both are true.

Well I hope you are right but I doubt it. We will see. Forbes magazine is a pretty conservative financial news outlet so they do not have some left wing agenda that a bunch of Fox News righties can claim. I suppose it is time to just let things play out and see what happens. I guess the reports of using the same mask for multiple days are a lie or mistake. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts