Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVED Cheers. I've got approximately 40 episodes saved on my DVR (I also recently recorded the entire "Hogan's Heroes" series and just started going through it).

Ironically, I just watched that Cheers episode a couple of months ago.
Cheers almost never saw its second season. First year ratings were terrible.

The NBC, in a move similar to Rush's record company giving that band creative control over their last chance 2112 album, boldly moved the show directly into their legendary Thursday night lineup. For several years it would consist of the Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, and Hill Street Blues.

It was one of the last of the legendary network "appointment TV" lineups, before the cable boom of the nineties. And like Rush, the show was saved.

What's up with Washington county being so high? There's nothing to do in Washington county except count the tractor tire treads on the gravel and dirt roads. Just ask @HawkGold.

I know, it's the proximity to Johnson county and many Washington county residents commute to Iowa City.

Hey, I left a long time ago. In IL we can count more corn stalks per acre. On a clear night, I can see an elevator about 60 miles away. Anyway, Lot's of people from Washington and Henry Co commute to IC. Look at Muscatine too. But, it's all dependent on testing and reporting. Also Washington has a much higher average age than the state.

My youthful appearance is anecdotal. I went back and got some doctors notes. She said I appear much younger than I was. SE Iowa has the fountain of youth...

I'm not trying to say something's going down, but we've received several flyers in the mail from churches saying they're having Easter services (in person). The wife's boss/business owner (who is a really religious person) said he's reopening on the 13th. I'm just wondering if churches and other businesses have decided that Easter is their own deadline, and they're taking a stand or something. One of the flyers we got is from one of those mega churches that's having a breakfast for the congregation.

The State Gov and local mayors etc can put the stop to these gatherings. Albany, GA had a funeral a few weeks ago I read about with 200 people there, and food for everyone, and at least one covid 19 infector. The town got hit like a bomb by the virus. Just search for 'albany GA coronavirus' to read about the results. Bad deal.

Or throw them in concentration style camps, where anything can happen.

As bad as this could get, I thank God I live in a country where crap like that won't happen.

Or at least hasnt happened yet. Another time, another pandemic, one much worse and it could get bad anywhere on Earth with martial law, etc. If anything gets to the point now or 50 years from now when people are dying so fast there will have to be military control to keep pockets of healthy people protected otherwise what, damn near everyone dies!!!!

Or at least hasnt happened yet. Another time, another pandemic, one much worse and it could get bad anywhere on Earth with martial law, etc. If anything gets to the point now or 50 years from now when people are dying so fast there will have to be military control to keep pockets of healthy people protected otherwise what, damn near everyone dies!!!!
It will happen someday, hopefully in someone else's lifetime.

Every futuristic dystopian book or movie deals with the collapse of capitalism, a violent and deadly uprising, and an aftermath where there is a heavy police presence and the government frowns against any individualistic thoughts or actions that may spark another rebellion. From Ayn Rand to Neal Peart to The Lottery to Rollerball to the Hunger Games and the Divergent movies, all the same bleak outlook of dystopia.

I could see a lot of other countries mistreating their own over this crisis before our country does. But if we start asking people to coop up like animals and socially distance like Henry David Thoreau for weeks and weeks on end this could get ugly. Domestic violence and violent crime could be just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Rachel Maddow of CSNBC ripped the state of Iowa, and several other states, for not ordering a mandatory shelter in place edict.

Rachel needs some serious dental work and to stop worrying about governing our state, and congresswoman Abby Finkenauer isn't far behind. That's Kim Reynolds' job, not theirs.

If SARS was contagious as COVID or COVID was as deadly as SARS, we would have already had it. That combination of virus would force martial law.

If SARS was contagious as COVID or COVID was as deadly as SARS, we would have already had it. That combination of virus would force martial law.

It seems that SARS was likely as contagious as COVID, at least by early estimates of infectious rates:
china-coronavirus-contain-promo-1580431440996-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v9.png

The thing that is kicking us in the pants with this one is something you have mentioned previously. Many of the cases are mild/asymptomatic, and there is a long incubation period, so many people are spreading it unknowingly.

From what I read about SARS, people that contracted it were in a bad way pretty fast, so it was easier to track and isolate.

Candace. Seriously. Lady dude lies like a 2nd language. Gets away with it by being a cute bee bop black chick talking smack about blacks. Her young limited success story is only that.

I'm not trying to say something's going down, but we've received several flyers in the mail from churches saying they're having Easter services (in person). The wife's boss/business owner (who is a really religious person) said he's reopening on the 13th. I'm just wondering if churches and other businesses have decided that Easter is their own deadline, and they're taking a stand or something. One of the flyers we got is from one of those mega churches that's having a breakfast for the congregation.

That's dangerous as we haven't even gotten to the peak yet. Can't just go by some arbitrary date. I know our local Catholic church have cancelled Easter masses.

It seems that SARS was likely as contagious as COVID, at least by early estimates of infectious rates:
china-coronavirus-contain-promo-1580431440996-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v9.png

The thing that is kicking us in the pants with this one is something you have mentioned previously. Many of the cases are mild/asymptomatic, and there is a long incubation period, so many people are spreading it unknowingly.

From what I read about SARS, people that contracted it were in a bad way pretty fast, so it was easier to track and isolate.

I guess we can say luckily Avian (bird) flu does not jump very well from birds to humans according to articles from experts that I have read. I think the H5N1 and another Avian strain are considered Highly Pathogenic as an extreme kill rate as the chart above shows. I can't remember which expert I was reading but he said as I paraphrase they are super concerned that a highly, rapidly contagious of bird flu in humans ever appears.

Scary stuff. Phys.org has an interesting article about scientists using some type of a virus phage that can bind to specific bad viruses before they can do lung damage.

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-phage-capsid-influenza-perfectly-inhibitor.html

Rachel Maddow of CSNBC ripped the state of Iowa, and several other states, for not ordering a mandatory shelter in place edict.

Rachel needs some serious dental work and to stop worrying about governing our state, and congresswoman Abby Finkenauer isn't far behind. That's Kim Reynolds' job, not theirs.

So here's my question and I definitely don't want this to be political in a state vs. Fed sort of way. I was a huge proponent of shutting the state down with a mandatory shelter in place type proclamation from the Governor, however the more I hear her talk I'm not sure what the benefit would be. She something along the lines that our laws are similar to Minnesota's where approximately 80% of the work force is considered essential employees. I thought I remembered her going on to say that she has no control over what positions are deemed essential and what aren't. During the call in portion of her press conference yesterday, she commented that she couldn't "really do anything" when it was brought up that kids in Des Moines (and I'm sure everywhere else) were gathering and ignoring social distancing recommendations and basically put it on the parents to reach out to their kids to make sure they were doing what was needed.

So I guess my question is if her "powers" are that limited and there are that many "essential" positions that she has no control over that would still work as they are now what is the benefit. Or would her making such a proclamation close additional businesses and have a greater bearing on how things are enforced. I see this as a situation where federal law restricts what can be done at the state level and I'm not sure what can really be done.

Unfortunately in my opinion it seems as though the solution to this lies outside of what is defined by the governments (state or federal) and essentially comes down to what we as individuals are going to do to contribute to the slowing down the spread of this virus.

Percentage of Iowa Population that tested positive for CV19 - 0.0001553125‬ (497 / 3.2M) . Based on this % I would say Iowans are doing a pretty good job of protecting themselves and protecting others from the virus. I would conclude the measures in place are being effective.

Percentage of Iowa Population that tested positive for CV19 - 0.0001553125‬ (497 / 3.2M) . Based on this % I would say Iowans are doing a pretty good job of protecting themselves and protecting others from the virus. I would conclude the measures in place are being effective.

How accurate are those numbers though? Those numbers are only based on those that have been tested. I'm from Des Moines County and I've heard credible talk of individuals who have been quarantined that were told they had it by physicians, but were never tested. We keep hearing talk about those cases that have been confirmed and the tests that came back negative. What I really want to know, and am shocked it isn't being reported, is how many people in each individual community have been quarantined but never tested. I think those numbers needed to get back to the department of public health so that they can be followed up on as well.

I see a number of counties that have no confirmed cases. Are those counties that fortunate not to have any cases or is it simply a matter of those counties not having access to any of the tests. Testing is great if everyone is being tested, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts