Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honest to God do not ever turn on any national news anymore. I find the info so scewed and one-sided. It really is alarming, IMO.

I remember when we used to come together in times of crisis. 9/11 happened and the country came together for a few months anyway. That's out the door now. Now, never letting a crisis go to waste politically is more important than what's best for the country.

Yes, this does happen in the media once in a while and when an honest mistake they issue a correction. Maybe you have seen corrections before. Are you trying to make a big deal out of this?

I know a very few people who think the mass media is a total bunch of liars and my retort is 'if there are so many lying reporters, producers, journalists, etc then you would see many of them getting fired and being sued and losing big lawsuits.' And as I follow up I ask them how many reporters do you see getting fired, top news execs, etc.

Yes, you are going to see a Dan Rather once in awhile where he had an agenda against George Bush, a fellow texan, and Rather went out of his way to publish some info about Bush's National Guard record that then seemed to be 'shot down' , excuse the pun. Rather got dumped or was forced to step down or leave CBS.

I think the Guardian had a top reporter get sacked because it was proved that some of his top reports were fabricated.

I think compared to the Swift Boat liars, etc this post of yours is a non-story.

The popularization of the term “fake news” is a recent addition to our vocabulary. We will regret it.

An on-line article today stated that people that are obese/very overweight have a much better chance of getting the virus. So I guess about 90% of the Wisconsin fan base is fucked.

The popularization of the term “fake news” is a recent addition to our vocabulary. We will regret it.

We might regret it. But I remember the days of Cronkite when, though he was a liberal, he felt getting to the truth of the story was the most important thing to do in journalism. Now, what's important is winning points for your side, no matter if you have to lie or at least tell partial truths about a story. Therefore, "fake news" isn't all that inaccurate at times. Or, at least it's "half-truth news" now often.

We might regret it. But I remember the days of Cronkite when, though he was a liberal, he felt getting to the truth of the story was the most important thing to do in journalism. Now, what's important is winning points for your side, no matter if you have to lie or at least tell partial truths about a story. Therefore, "fake news" isn't all that inaccurate at times. Or, at least it's "half-truth news" now often.
CBS News is being accused of showing video in what CBS says was the inside of a hospital in New York when in fact it was actual video of a hospital in Italy.

This isn't specifically addressing you, but I find it interesting that so many people think that countries such as Russia and China are lying, but believe that the U.S. govt, CDC, & WHO are completely upfront. People should duckduckgo World Health Organization, fraud & corruption.

Not saying our government is any better, but I think it's more than fair to say that there is a decent track record put in place that might suggest Russia and China have been slightly deceptive in the past. So in this case, as it pertains to this situation, I think its safe to say that there's a good chance Russia and China are being less than honest with the information they've provided to the rest of the world.

Are we past calling this pandemic a lie, hoax, scam, fake news?

Turns out, the pandemic is real.

And maybe the people who were complaining about one side getting political points, should have been more concerned if this nation was doing as much as we could to prevent a humanitarian crisis.

Those in power shouldn't expect a free pass under the guise of "coming together".

CBS News is being accused of showing video in what CBS says was the inside of a hospital in New York when in fact it was actual video of a hospital in Italy.

It's possible that one was an honest mistake. All it would take was forgetting where that footage actually came from. Not to mention, as long as there are patients in a New York hospital somewhere, you could easily record the same footage there. Now posting a headline saying people died using the drug Trump said would save them is a blatant lie to push an agenda. Its crap like that that pushes the "fake news" narrative.

It's possible that one was an honest mistake. All it would take was forgetting where that footage actually came from. Not to mention, as long as there are patients in a New York hospital somewhere, you could easily record the same footage there. Now posting a headline saying people died using the drug Trump said would save them is a blatant lie to push an agenda. Its crap like that that pushes the "fake news" narrative.

It's possible. But even then, it's shoddy journalism at best. We've seen enough of this crap. What has happened to this once noble profession?

It's possible. But even then, it's shoddy journalism at best. We've seen enough of this crap. What has happened to this once noble profession?

Yea it's not good, that's for sure. But using old footage to fill in for a new story is probably more common than we think. It's very possible the hospital wouldn't let them in to film so they needed something and gambled on not getting caught. I highly doubt it was a case where every hospital in New York was quiet as a mouse so they had to use Italy footage to push a false story that New York hospitals were over run. Hell, I could probably go to any hospital in Des Moines with a camera right now and make it look like they were swamped with COVID if I wanted to.

Dean R Koontz appeared to have a glimpse of the impending future

scale_1200

Published 1981

156571580_220558543eaebe.jpg

main-qimg-1ea6943be166d3bd416f819cb83824c5

It's very easy to look back and point the finger. We are talking 1-3 months ago. Are you saying the country should have been shut down in January. This is an unprecedented health situation literally seen every 1-2 centuries. EVERY country is going thru this VERY same thing and struggling. Yes, we can learn from this to help future generations, but nobody could really plan for something like this.

The health guru's and politician's have a fine line with many of the decisions including when it's fine to shut the country down, affecting lives, incomes, small businesses, causing panic, etc.. Not something that is easily done. It's easy to say, shit we should have shut down as a country in Jan. or Feb.., but, we know that would never happen because of selfish people in our society. I don't like it either uihawk82, but the train was eventually going to go through.

My big problem is with testing but also below...

I disagree because it has been reported that our intelligence services gave out big warnings in early January about what was going on in China. This does not happen just every 1-2 centuries as we have had some chilling outbreaks of SARS, MERS, Ebola, and some stronger influenzas in just less than the last 20 years.

Oh and by the way I would call the AIDs epidemic a bad thing , very widespread, long lasting and deadly. So these viral outbreaks happen a lot.

So with the White House and Congress's Gang of 8 hearing from the intelligence people it is truly crazy and terrible that our testing program and response was so poor. The news reports say that the president/leaders of S Korea got their needed people in a meeting room in late January or early Feb and told them they want full blown testing in 1 week. And guess what in a week they were testing 20,000 people a day.

We still aren't to that level on March 31st. WTF!!!! You cannot make decisions without data.

The experts have said for 2 months we would need hundreds of millions of masks at least but they are not being manufactured to that level. Making masks and retooling to make masks is not nearly as difficult as retooling a car plant to make bombers. A lot of seamstresses including my wife are making masks.

Yeah, people who believe in 'fake news' are people who are trying to deride the truth, want to mask the truth and their own lies, cover up wrong doing, etc etc.

Imagine a world or especially US history without the Pentagon Papers and the publishing of them and if Woodward and Bernstein and others had not dug deep into the Watergate burglaries. It is really a big thing that reporters do.

I remember when we used to come together in times of crisis. 9/11 happened and the country came together for a few months anyway. That's out the door now. Now, never letting a crisis go to waste politically is more important than what's best for the country.

Very well stated. No crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts