Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, you are right which is why I mentioned Africa. I believe China already has a near monopoly on the mining and purification of rare earth metals needed in the computer industry. The US had a couple of businesses doing this but iirc they went offshore to save money and are now out of the business. The US is totally beholden to Chinese imports and imports from a few extra countries in this area.

And iirc there are deposits in this country but there isnt the profit margins to keep the sites and factories here. Well then it is time for the US Govt to either go into this business themselves or have price supports to have supplies controlled in the US. Talk about a threat to business and economy in the US. The US could smelt the metals here even by buying raw materials from other countries.

Asteroid mining?

I'm not a Doctor...but there are many credible medical sources saying to avoid ADVIL (ibuprofen). It seems to interact w COVID 19 and "jump start" things toward pneumonia. A majority of people who are hospitalized w severe respiratory distress had taken ADVIL (ibuprofen) for their symptoms. Those who had not taken it, are recovering much more readily.

Take Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (paracetamol) for your aches and pains.

DO NOT take Advil or generic ibuprofen.

I wouldn't post this unless I was confident in my sources. This comes from people treating affected patients.
I've heard this as well and if I do get sick, I will not take any ibuprofen.. FYI: I have been washing my hands so many times daily that the skin on my hands is beginning to flake off. Have been using lots of skin lotion to help that.

I'm not a Doctor...but there are many credible medical sources saying to avoid ADVIL (ibuprofen). It seems to interact w COVID 19 and "jump start" things toward pneumonia. A majority of people who are hospitalized w severe respiratory distress had taken ADVIL (ibuprofen) for their symptoms. Those who had not taken it, are recovering much more readily.

I wouldn't post this unless I was confident in my sources. This comes from people treating affected patients.
What if I am a heavy drinker and don't like acetaminophen because of how it impacts my liver when I'm drinking? Then, is it okay to take Advil?

I was one of the lucky ones to get into Cosco first this morning. For the rest of you chumps, use sandpaper.

ETuPqYQUMAEvZ8Z

Actually, Advil and Motrin are both name brands for ibuprofen. Paracetamol is basically Europe's Tylenol. They are both acetaminophen.

Like many sideline stories with COVID, the story regarding ibuprofen is highly anecdotal so we have to read it with a critical ear. It's hard to believe that an anti-inflammatory would augment the inflammatory response, but I guess anything is possible. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out under tighter controlled scrutiny.

The real flu, not what people call stomach flu, does kill between 20 and 60 million americans each year. Influenza is a nasty virus even if you are healthy and ravages people with weak immune systems and respiratory systems. about 60 million or a little more will get it each year.

But again, influenza is blocked from many through vaccination or previously having that type of flu. An flu cases are usually spread out enough that they do not swamp hospitals and emergency wards.

I think I heard it's been a pretty bad year for flu, though not like '17-'18 (61,000 estimated US deaths).

I am curious about the estimated deaths vs. confirmed. I guess very few flu deaths are confirmed for various reasons (primarily because patient has often recovered from flu before secondary effects set in and things get dicey). So total flu deaths are typically estimated.

Same is true of '09-'10 H1N1 deaths; there were confirmed cases, but the estimated total US deaths (12,000) was much higher and determined through modeling, with various assumptions factored in.

Not sure how COVID confirmed vs. actual deaths looks currently. My sense is that most deaths due to this have been confirmed just because the healthcare system is so concerned about this pandemic that they are trying to pin down everything they can. US is currently (about 3:30pm Friday, 3/27) at about 1,500 confirmed deaths from COVID. That is slightly less than a month after the first confirmed death. In the 09/10 H1N1 pandemic, we had 17 confirmed deaths in the month following the first confirmed death, for comparison.

So where is this going to end up? Below is the CDC death-by-cause numbers for 2017 (for comparison):

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
Normally Flu/Pneumonia is just over 50,000, 8th place in terms of causes of death (less than 10% of the top 2 causes, heart disease and cancer). I would expect that number to move all the way up to 3rd place for this year (assuming COVID leads to 100,000 deaths on top of a typical flu season). If things go really badly and the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, this could challenge for the top spot. Italy is averaging over 700 deaths/day over a span of 8 straight days. If we scale that up to US population...uf da.

As a country, we don't always demonstrate great forethought, but I think we rally well. I think we will prove resilient with this thing, as well.

Actually, Advil and Motrin are both name brands for ibuprofen. Paracetamol is basically Europe's Tylenol. They are both acetaminophen.

Like many sideline stories with COVID, the story regarding ibuprofen is highly anecdotal so we have to read it with a critical ear. It's hard to believe that an anti-inflammatory would augment the inflammatory response, but I guess anything is possible. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out under tighter controlled scrutiny.

Thanks, DieHard..you're right. MOTRIN is also ibuprofen.

Thanks for the correction. Got my brand names confused, always good to look past the brand name and check ingredients to be sure.

I think I heard it's been a pretty bad year for flu, though not like '17-'18 (61,000 estimated US deaths).

I am curious about the estimated deaths vs. confirmed. I guess very few flu deaths are confirmed for various reasons (primarily because patient has often recovered from flu before secondary effects set in and things get dicey). So total flu deaths are typically estimated.

Same is true of '09-'10 H1N1 deaths; there were confirmed cases, but the estimated total US deaths (12,000) was much higher and determined through modeling, with various assumptions factored in.

Not sure how COVID confirmed vs. actual deaths looks currently. My sense is that most deaths due to this have been confirmed just because the healthcare system is so concerned about this pandemic that they are trying to pin down everything they can. US is currently (about 3:30pm Friday, 3/27) at about 1,500 confirmed deaths from COVID. That is slightly less than a month after the first confirmed death. In the 09/10 H1N1 pandemic, we had 17 confirmed deaths in the month following the first confirmed death, for comparison.

So where is this going to end up? Below is the CDC death-by-cause numbers for 2017 (for comparison):

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
Normally Flu/Pneumonia is just over 50,000, 8th place in terms of causes of death (less than 10% of the top 2 causes, heart disease and cancer). I would expect that number to move all the way up to 3rd place for this year (assuming COVID leads to 100,000 deaths on top of a typical flu season). If things go really badly and the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, this could challenge for the top spot. Italy is averaging over 700 deaths/day over a span of 8 straight days. If we scale that up to US population...uf da.

As a country, we don't always demonstrate great forethought, but I think we rally well. I think we will prove resilient with this thing, as well.

I'm not sure how people (TK) can read your stats on comparing COVID to H1N1 and still act like it's no big deal. You've posted them before. Can a skeptic on here fill me in on how those numbers aren't bad please? I think there's only 3 of them on here and TK is probably done talking to me.

I agree about the number of tests being a big reason for the spike. I'm more concerned with the number hospitalized. That number is accelerating too. There's no way a huge percent of the population had it a month ago because there was very few people in the hospital a month ago.

I also saw where Australia was ready to release a new 15 minute test. That will help a lot.

1 month ago Our Hospitals in Minnesota were hammered. So i know that to be false for us up here.

I saw a doctors video on youtube today, he said this virus may be the result of these two animals. He said something along the lines that the Coronavirus may have come from their strains and merged into the COVID-19.. IDK, it was weird and creepy as F!

BDjMmOS1rLV-eXhj9-3G3UWwUxjhrEiaGKh22jqdMEEkyBUQUHIB5qaumV6TxD4AD1GwC0xMC2pqYRWP8zC6VD01dBnV11kUSQEUIg4TMYG0NedDM7oSwTxQFxEgikUlJSr6E0Q8vxi2mD4NlvP00rDBHdhdDYdGyetU
mmicrotis_flightcage_inga_geipel.png

Interesting article from Der Speiget concerning the production of Ventilators by the head of Dragerwerk, a world leader in the production of ventilators. Absolutely Mission Impossible.....

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa..._1jtzCCtmxpVo9GAZr2b4X8GquyeAc9&nlid=bfjpqhxz

b7e5fd8b-dec1-4ae8-9fbc-a6e9df00b83a_w948_r1.77_fpx33.84_fpy49.97.jpg

Dräger: Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz was on the phone earlier. He needs 1,000 ventilators, but we can only make 50 available to him at this point. Countless ministers from all kinds of countries have called, and last weekend, the king of the Netherlands called.

DER SPIEGEL: Can you meet the demand?

Dräger: Not completely. We doubled our production volume in February and will ultimately quadruple it. In Lübeck alone (where the company is based), we are hiring up to 500 new employees.

Dräger: No. At first, almost all of the devices went to China, where need was greatest. They needed a rather simple device, and we were able to produce 400 of them a week. The device turns ambient air into purified air, only requires an electrical socket and, if necessary, an oxygen cylinder, and requires no connection to a hospital's medical gas supply system.

DER SPIEGEL: Car manufacturers and other firms have announced that they can manufacture ventilator components. Is that purely a PR move or is it actually helpful?

Dräger: There is little point in adapting unused production capacity to manufacture respiratory aids. I spoke with Daimler over the weekend. They would also like to help. But it’s unfortunately not so simple. We can’t build cars either. Before we invest too much thought into this, we should focus on getting devices that are sitting around in a basement somewhere back into working order. Or can we repurpose other devices? There is a lot of potential there.

DER SPIEGEL: In which country is the supply situation currently especially challenging?

Dräger: In Europe, the number of intensive-care beds per capita is very unequally distributed. In Italy, it is three times lower than here. In England, five times lower. The challenge in England will be greater than in Spain. And the situation in the U.S. is very alarming. The reporting system there is also underdeveloped.

DER SPIEGEL: Have you received a call from U.S. President Donald Trump yet?

Dräger: We are waiting for it. The U.S. authorities have made a request for 100,000 ventilators. That likely exceeds the annual production capacity of all manufacturers. It is absolutely mission impossible. And even that number won’t be enough. We applied to take on part of the delivery, because we have a responsibility as the biggest manufacturer.

Dräger: One example: The authorities in the U.S. want to buy 500 million masks. That is simply impossible, for anyone.

DER SPIEGEL: Why aren't there enough masks out there?

Dräger: When the crisis started, speculators quickly stepped in. They bought masks by the container, and are now selling them at extortionate prices. And then there’s the fact that many people who don’t work in hospitals believe they need to wear masks.

DER SPIEGEL: The Association of General Practitioners in the state of Lower Saxony has released sewing instructions for protective masks, claiming that you can make your own masks out of dishtowels. Is that a good idea?

Dräger: If it helps people on the streets feel safer, then why not? That will leave more specialized products for doctors and nurses.

DER SPIEGEL: What are the lessons to be learned from this crisis?

Dräger: It shows that common sense is more important than we all thought. This situation is so new and complicated that the problems can only be solved by people who carefully weigh their decisions. Artificial intelligence, which everyone has been talking so much about recently, isn't much help at the moment.

Interesting article from Der Speiget concerning the production of Ventilators by the head of Dragerwerk, a world leader in the production of ventilators. Absolutely Mission Impossible.....

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa..._1jtzCCtmxpVo9GAZr2b4X8GquyeAc9&nlid=bfjpqhxz

b7e5fd8b-dec1-4ae8-9fbc-a6e9df00b83a_w948_r1.77_fpx33.84_fpy49.97.jpg

Dräger: Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz was on the phone earlier. He needs 1,000 ventilators, but we can only make 50 available to him at this point. Countless ministers from all kinds of countries have called, and last weekend, the king of the Netherlands called.

I see Trump just invoked the Defense Production Act on GM to make ventilators

I saw a doctors video on youtube today, he said this virus may be the result of these two animals. He said something along the lines that the Coronavirus may have come from their strains and merged into the COVID-19.. IDK, it was weird and creepy as F!

BDjMmOS1rLV-eXhj9-3G3UWwUxjhrEiaGKh22jqdMEEkyBUQUHIB5qaumV6TxD4AD1GwC0xMC2pqYRWP8zC6VD01dBnV11kUSQEUIg4TMYG0NedDM7oSwTxQFxEgikUlJSr6E0Q8vxi2mD4NlvP00rDBHdhdDYdGyetU
mmicrotis_flightcage_inga_geipel.png

So viruses normally mutate every time they infect a host and force it to replicate them. This is called antigenic drift. These mutated forms are slightly different, so our immune system might not completely recognize them, but there is usually partial recognition, and hence partial immunity.

But if 2 viruses infect a host simultaneously, they can essentially combine to form a radically different virus. This is called antigenic shift. This new virus is often so completely different from anything seen prior that no one has much immunity to it. This seems to be the starting point of many of these pandemics.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts