Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So viruses normally mutate every time they infect a host and force it to replicate them. This is called antigenic drift. These mutated forms are slightly different, so our immune system might not completely recognize them, but there is usually partial recognition, and hence partial immunity.

But if 2 viruses infect a host simultaneously, they can essentially combine to form a radically different virus. This is called antigenic shift. This new virus is often so completely different from anything seen prior that no one has much immunity to it. This seems to be the starting point of many of these pandemics.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm
Cripes. Tin foil hat time:
Want to make a bioweapon that doesn't look a bioweapon? Keep infect poor people with different combinations of viruses from within the same general family until the two viruses antigenic shift into a pandemic level virus....

End tin foil hat time.

ABC News just said that this Virus in the U.S. won't peak for another 3 weeks.

Iowa City officials are trying to get the Governor to sign a Stay-at-Home law.

Interesting article from Der Speiget concerning the production of Ventilators by the head of Dragerwerk, a world leader in the production of ventilators. Absolutely Mission Impossible.....

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa..._1jtzCCtmxpVo9GAZr2b4X8GquyeAc9&nlid=bfjpqhxz

Dräger: One example: The authorities in the U.S. want to buy 500 million masks. That is simply impossible, for anyone.

DER SPIEGEL: Why aren't there enough masks out there?

Dräger: When the crisis started, speculators quickly stepped in. They bought masks by the container, and are now selling them at extortionate prices. And then there’s the fact that many people who don’t work in hospitals believe they need to wear masks.
In a time like this I would think that these speculators might expect a knock on the door from Homeland Security, Interpol, or any appropriate law-enforcement agency.

Didn't you just say Minnesota had a bunch of empty beds still?

Minnesota had 235 ICU Beds available on Weds I don’t know that count today I also don’t know how many people a month ago required ICU beds, during that slam of sick people. Minnesota has even more ICU beds now from what I’ve read and heard as they have converted a long term care facility into a Exclusive Covid19 facility in St Paul, Mn. I give kudos to Minnesota they are being extremely Pro-Active and the preparedness is incredibly impressive!

Just a week ago, Bethesda was a long-term acute care hospital with no ICU rooms. By Thursday, M Health created 35 ICU rooms, outfitted with special window units that helped provide negative pressure.

"You are creating, essentially, a vacuum inside the room,” said Maria Raines, Chief Nursing Officer for Bethesda. "As you open the room, all the particulates in this room would stay here and we would be blowing them out, so as to not get into the main area and contaminate things in there. We also have our ventilators, our bedside monitors that we can take care of the sickest patients that will be getting admitted here."

In all, M Health Fairview says Bethesda will be able to take up to 90 COVID-19 patients from its hospitals across the state.

Interesting news video.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/h...-covid-19-per-capita-in-the-world-81211973892

The video does state that except for a few cities the population is sparse. But they started major testing in early Feb. They have found some interesting results on how many get the virus in contact situations. They have kept businesses like shops and restaurants/bars open and people walk the streets because they know who has the virus and those people stay quarantined as do their contact people.

I merged your thread into this one, uihawk82. We've got two threads on COVID-19. We're going to cap it at that for now. Thanks.

I merged your thread into this one, uihawk82. We've got two threads on COVID-19. We're going to cap it at that for now. Thanks.

Very good. I started to post it in the other thread but then I wanted more eyes at least on the OP video. Probably still a lot of eyes on this thread even though not as many responders.

Dr Joseph Fair, leading virologist and epidemiologist who has fought outbreaks like ebola in Africa mentioned yesterday that it is not the warmer weather of spring and summer but the increased UV light that kills viruses or at least makes them dormant or less active. He used the word 'inactivates' the virus.

But he and this other Harvard virologist were talking about whether it might come back in the autumn and Fair says there is a high chance it will. He says the lack of the viral outbreaks in the southern hemisphere is more due to it being summer there but if and probably when it spreads there than that will lead to a new breeding ground that can move back north in the Autumn.

Interesting from a biological view and even the physics of UV radiation but probably not a welcome prognostication. And we all know that the flu is around us all year (Dr Fair said as much) but seems to hit the US harder starting in Autumn.

I see Trump just invoked the Defense Production Act on GM to make ventilators

Well it is about time and about 2 months or at least a month late.

But one of the main problems is it is not all GM's doing but there are about 14 suppliers that are working on contracts with FEMA. So Trump better invoke the Act on all vendors and supply chains and delivery companies involved.

This is a time to put companies that make masks and make clothes into a 24/7 mode making masks, scrubs, hospital gowns, and other companies making face shields and latex gloves, etc etc.

The post office has plenty of trucks airplanes and I know Fedex ships a lot of postal mail and packages so there is ample quick delivery options.

Now I'm reading that the MLB season if played may run up to Christmas time. Would be funny if two northern teams played in the World Series.

From Kirk Herbstreit...........................

“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit recently said according to TMZ Sports.

The ESPN analyst further explained his opinion is based on the fact we likely won’t have a vaccine for the coronavirus for some time. When you take that into consideration, it may be tough for football to continue until that time arrives.

“Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a vaccine,” Herbstreit continued. “I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don’t know how you can do it with the optics of it.”

I just saw an interview with Dr. Larry Brilliant who is a prominent epidemiologist. He said that if the currently modeling holds true, there will be 85,000 deaths in the United States in two months.

Not only do we have this damn virus, but now we're going into severe weather season. There is a tornado in the Black Hawk County area right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts