Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baseball's biggest nightmare would be if they did a shortened season. People would realize that 162 games plus the playoffs is waaaay too many.
They would have to expand rosters and, like the NFL, have the teams provide an inactive list. Inactive players could fly ahead to the next city a day ahead of the team and get an off day before the rest of the team flies in. Get ready for loads of doubleheaders, as well as extra inning games starting the tenth, and all subsequent innings, with a man on base. Teams will have longer homestands, and longer road trips, but most travel will be within the division. Long coast to coast flights will be kept to a minimum

From Kirk Herbstreit...........................

“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit recently said according to TMZ Sports.

The ESPN analyst further explained his opinion is based on the fact we likely won’t have a vaccine for the coronavirus for some time. When you take that into consideration, it may be tough for football to continue until that time arrives.

“Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a vaccine,” Herbstreit continued. “I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don’t know how you can do it with the optics of it.”
No way will Roger Goodell allow it to get banged.. His is to much of a d-bag with too large an ego. This is the NFL, and he won't let us forget it. The stadiums might be empty, but the NFL will go on. He is even talking about booting college football to the summer months, which should go over real well in Texas, Louisiana and Florida, so he can hog both Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. No siree, amigo, his ego machine knows no boundaries. He is already bragging that the upcoming NFL draft, which he won't move, is going to be the big diversion Americans are so looking forward to.

No way will Roger Goodell allow it to get banged.. His is to much of a d-bag with too large an ego. This is the NFL, and he won't let us forget it. The stadiums might be empty, but the NFL will go on. He is even talking about booting college football to the summer months, which should go over real well in Texas, Louisiana and Florida, so he can hog both Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. No siree, amigo, his ego machine knows no boundaries. He is already bragging that the upcoming NFL draft, which he won't move, is going to be the big diversion Americans are so looking forward to.
The NFL Draft as now is still on for next month but, there will be no fans in attendance and not even the college players getting drafted will be there. Should be a really EXCITING draft to watch!!

They are in talks about starting college football a month early to avoid the 2nd wave of COVID.

I am. I would not want to experience it, especially since they have no cure for it and you would feel pretty crappy for a while. I have been wearing gloves everywhere I go now, even if I'm inside and I have been washing my hands a lot. The skin on my hands is getting pretty dried out.

Here is a link to a news story about a woman in Colorado who caught the virus while traveling. She explains what symptoms she felt and went through. It's pretty interesting.

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/c...ent-speaks-out-shares-her-symptoms-and-story/
Chinese suddenly falling down on the floor, convulsing and shaking like a leaf. Then, they look up at the camera as if to say, "Is this good enough? Is this good enough?" Any honest M.D. would say that looks fake and staged.

Baseball's biggest nightmare would be if they did a shortened season. People would realize that 162 games plus the playoffs is waaaay too many.

There have been strikes in 1972, 1981, 1994 (which ended the season prematurely) and 1995 which shortened the MLB seasons already. And, the 162 game season stayed. There is no way the owners will give up those games in upcoming seasons - but this season will likely be shortened, if played.

They are in talks about starting college football a month early to avoid the 2nd wave of COVID.
Roger Goodell is a big reason I don't watch much NFL anymore.

Two other reasons
  • I love college football and don't want to kill both days of the weekend
  • Around 2007 or 08 my kids started getting busy with Pop Warner leagues, club basketball/volleyball, and traveling/AAU leagues, and their games would frequently be on Sunday.
I even stopped playing fantasy football ten years ago. That was a longtime institution for me but it got to be too much of a hassle to keep up online and deal with phone calls at work for trade offers. I have this forum for my social media fix!

Baseball, however, has always been the fairest test of who is really the best team. 162 games is plenty of time for breaks to even out, hot and cold streaks to even out, overcoming injuries.

162 games tests your depth and the staying power of your pitching staff. These guys travel first class and stay in first class hotels and many are paid like movie stars. It's the grind of dealing with modern media, and social media, that I think wears the players down.

Baseball, however, has always been the fairest test of who is really the best team. 162 games is plenty of time for breaks to even out, hot and cold streaks to even out, overcoming injuries.

162 games tests your depth and the staying power of your pitching staff. These guys travel first class and stay in first class hotels and many are paid like movie stars. It's the grind of dealing with modern media, and social media, that I think wears the players down.

You seem to be star struck with MLB players especially the stars. I would have thought the doping scandals back with Bonds, McQwire, Sosa, Canseco, and many others would have jaded you at least somewhat. I imagine the Astros cheating scandal will mainly go down as a one bad team type of thing.

As far as the grind, yeah the Cubs finally went to night games once they realized playing 81 games in the heat of the sunlight became a physical disadvantage to them and a monetary one.

But there are always stars like Wade Boggs who know how to handle the grind by eating lots of chicken and having a woman in every away city to help him ease his stress. o_O

Disagree to some extent. The Cubs do not win without getting Chapman. Therefore, not necessarily not the best team for whole season as is. The trade deadline using that thought would likely bein June then to make it more so.

The season is too long.

https://www.state.gov/the-united-st...ombat-the-novel-coronavirus/#nav__primary-nav
This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.

Today, the United States government is announcing it is prepared to spend up to $100 million in existing funds to assist China and other impacted countries, both directly and through multilateral organizations, to contain and combat the novel coronavirus. This commitment – along with the hundreds of millions generously donated by the American private sector – demonstrates strong U.S. leadership in response to the outbreak.

Disagree to some extent. The Cubs do not win without getting Chapman. Therefore, not necessarily not the best team for whole season as is. The trade deadline using that thought would likely bein June then to make it more so.

The season is too long.
Of all examples you bring up the 2016 Cubs?

They got out of the gate 25-6 and led wire to wire, frequently by double digit games. Getting Chapman was strictly a postseason move, when the game and manager strategies from the regular season all go out the window. They were going to win the regular season easily whether they acquired Chapman or not, and length of the regular season was the premise of the original post.

The season is too long.

I don't agree. All sports seasons are built for the winning team to be the best at the end (playoffs or tournament). Cubs determined that they needed Chapman, and traded Glayber Torres to pay the price. It was a gamble that paid off in the end. And the length of the season afforded them the chance to determine what was needed to win it all. It doesn't always work out that way, but thank goodness it did. :)

With this situation with the virus, the next sports seasons and their changing lengths (possibly) will be an interesting case study on how leagues and teams do business. Do some sports change their schedule (as being discussed with the NBA). Do teams change how they go about building when the future is undetermined? And, will the public consume sports the same going forward? That, among many other questions not only in sports (and society) is what fascinates me going forward.

Last edited:
You seem to be star struck with MLB players especially the stars. I would have thought the doping scandals back with Bonds, McQwire, Sosa, Canseco, and many others would have jaded you at least somewhat. I imagine the Astros cheating scandal will mainly go down as a one bad team type of thing.

As far as the grind, yeah the Cubs finally went to night games once they realized playing 81 games in the heat of the sunlight became a physical disadvantage to them and a monetary one.

But there are always stars like Wade Boggs who know how to handle the grind by eating lots of chicken and having a woman in every away city to help him ease his stress. o_O
Where in my post do I insuinate any of this?

YOU brought up steroids, PED's, the Astros, and Wade Boggs' off the field promiscuity. I didn't.

It seems as if you are admonishing me for being a baseball fan. MYOB buddy, that was an idiotic post.

Last edited:
Of all examples you bring up the 2016 Cubs?

They got out of the gate 25-6 and led wire to wire, frequently by double digit games. Getting Chapman was strictly a postseason move, when the game and manager strategies from the regular season all go out the window. They were going to win the regular season easily whether they acquired Chapman or not, and length of the regular season was the premise of the original post.

It's all better discussion than COVID 19.

I thought of Cubs as it was on my mind.

Since 1997 fully one third of wild card teams have won the Series.

By todays divisions the 82 SF Giants would be in the hunt post season and were the hottest team in BB with a bunch of aging stars.

Rene Martin....all 79 mph of him was dominating till the end when he had to face both the Dodgers and Braves with their backs against the wall.

If the Giants could have picked up Chapman late..... Or had Bum to pitch a bunch...

My point is that in modern times, 162 is somewhat moot.

It's to generate revenue. They don't do double headers the same anymore due to revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts